Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AME 5.5 always crashes when processing Lagarith source media

Aug 2, 2011 12:58 PM

Hi,

I got a very annoying issue when transcoding Lagarith media files with AME to anything else - it always crashes at the same point (around 20-30 %, depending on the media file) during processing:

ame-lagarith-crash.png

Curiously the Lagarith files had been created with AME (or Premiere Pro 5.5 - which crashes the same way when exporting Lagarith source media). The media files are in order, when I open them in Virtual Dub and save them as an uncompressed AVI (audio direct stream copy) I can successfully re-transcode them with AME. I re-installed the Lagarith codec and tried two different computers (both Windows 7 x64 SP1), both crash alike. CS 5.5 and Windows have all latest updates.

Some details about the media files:

lagarith-info.png

(Hope you don't mind the localized German program windows)

If there's no solution can you recommend a lossless video codec that works fine with Windows 7 x64 and AME? Additional availabilty for OS X would be nice but isn't necessary.

Thank you very much for your help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2011 7:46 PM   in reply to Steppenwolfli

I'd suggest contacting the Lagarith author about this crash; you're the second person today to report problems with it in an Adobe application. That's not to say that Premiere Pro or AME isn't the problem, but both programs are pretty stable when it comes to encoding with the included codecs, so you're sort of on your own when it comes to adding in third-party encoders.

As far as another third-party lossless codec (Windows only, however), you might check out the Ut Video Codec Suite. Be sure to install both the 32-bit and 64-bit packages; Adobe apps need the 64-bit version to encode and decode, but most other applications you'll be feeding the lossless AVI into will be 32-bit.

It's not lossless, but for cross-platform use, you might want to look at the Avid QuickTime Codecs, particularly DNxHD. They're freely available, work on both Mac and PC, and are very high quality codecs (even if they're not lossless).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2011 5:52 AM   in reply to Steppenwolfli

The closest you'll get to lossless--well, they are lossless--is to use an uncompressed AVI or QuickTime MOV. Of course, those will be very large files, but those will be cross-platform too, so that may be worth the extra size.

The poster in the Premiere Pro forums found that rolling back to 1.3.20 allowed for renders. This suggests to me a problem with Lagarith, which is why I'd suggest contacting the author with details of the crash--he's been pretty responsive to such things, it appears. Do try Ut Video Codec--it might do the trick.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2011 5:43 PM   in reply to Steppenwolfli
    Since both codecs crash AME I think that the problem might be located at AME :-/

That may indeed be the case; whether Adobe can or will do anything about it is hard to say, however. The best you can do is file a bug report to Adobe: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Did you try rolling back to an earlier version of Lagarith, e.g 1.3.20?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points