Apr 28, 2010 9:24 PM

Latest reply: Noel Carboni, Nov 30, 2011 12:51 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2011 8:14 PM   in reply to DocDJ

Problem is, while I have some insight into display driver implementations, it's hard for me to extrapolate to Photoshop the problems I've had with my own products.  Clearly Adobe has some brilliant people doing OpenGL development, and I'm awed by the fact that a company with as much at stake as Adobe has embraced OpenGL for their serious applications (opposed to video games, which have led the development of new GPU technology and still are).  I think getting GPUs to offload the CPUs is leading to a brighter future for us all, in which our computers will do 100x more graphics stuff in the same amount of time (and with floating point accuracy), all the while CPUs are starting to max out their clock speeds.

For all I know Photoshop may actually work marvelously on a Sandy Bridge GPU using Intel's latest drivers.  But I wouldn't bet on it just yet.  Once bitten, twice shy.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2011 7:23 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I wonder if it depends on what you are doing with Photoshiop, also.       For instance, I wonder if photo editing even requires Open GL.       As compared to doing something  that involves a 3D effect and rendering.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 18, 2011 9:21 AM   in reply to TomBrooklyn

Photoshop CS4/CS5 do use OpenGL to display 2D images, to add some interactive UI features, and to do some of the pixel processing for display preparation.  For example, Adobe has implemented color-management that runs on the GPU when you set Photoshop for "Normal" or "Advanced" modes.

These pages describes Photoshop's GPU use in some detail:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405745.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2011 2:58 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi.

I'm getting the same message in PS CS5 ('No GPU options available with Photoshop Standard') with a Nividia GeForce 6600 GT. I noticed Adobe don't have this on their list of tested cards.

I have updated to the latest driver.

Does anyone know if this is a problem with this particular card, or is there a system setting somewhere - I've checked that there are no extra drivers on the system.

Running Windows XP 64bit 2GB RAM

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2011 6:18 AM   in reply to The Wookiee

Hello, this is my first post in the Photoshop forum. Im looking for information on later generation videocards that would work good for Pro photo editing. The case is Im trying to help my daughter to put together a desktop system or just go buy the latest macbook pro or something similar on the PC side. There seem to be now way to just call Adobe here in Sweden and ask what they recommend and while googeling the internet for info I found this thread so Im hoping you guys can help me out a little.

Im a mac guy but I like win too specially win7 which runs very smooth I think anyway. However I personally believe a mac would be easier for her (and for me to help her with problems) but they are mildly spoken a bit pricy when it comes to the good stuff they have. In this case its more a matter of performance though so I guess it comes down to on which platform does Photoshop run best and what videocard of the later models should one go for?

She has a small company focused on writing articles (with photos) for home design magazines and its time to upgrade her computer.

On the mac side I believe the macbook pro 15 or 17 inch with the amd radeon hd 6750m 1 or 2 gig would work. The only pc I have avaliable to compare with is a desktop I put together myself based on an asus mobo p6t-se, i7 930 cpu, ssd harddrive, sapphire hd 5750 1gb gddr5 videocard and 6 gig 1600.

This is a pretty powerful computer that I think would be more than sufficient for her needs but the new generation sandybridge stuff is as I understand way ahead already so I think it would be crazy to buy hardware thats of yesterdays model. So Im kind lost and any advice you can give would be really great.

Thanks

Göran

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 5, 2011 7:08 AM   in reply to Burnin Sven

I like ATI cards because I believe their display drivers are the best engineered.

Personally, I think if I were buying a new workstation video card right now I'd get the VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 6670 at about a hundred bucks.  It's quite powerful and doesn't draw too much current nor generate much heat/noise.  It can support up to 3 monitors with appropriate cabling.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Aug 6, 2011 5:26 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

thanks I will keep this information .

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2011 5:58 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks Im gonna check it out see if I can get it over here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2011 4:22 PM   in reply to The Wookiee

If you read the Release Notes for the AMD/ATI Catalyst

Drivers  http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst117ReleaseNotes. aspx under the heading "Known Issues Under the Windows 7 Operating System", you will find:

"OpenGL acceleration might not be available in Photoshop CS5"

and

"Image rotation might not function correctly in Photoshop CS5."

These "Known Issues" have existed since early this year; I am running the Catalyst Drivers from 12/2010, which work just fine.

In other words there are incompatabilities in the AMD drivers and have been for over 6 months. AMD seems to be in no great hurry to fix the problems or support Photoshop.

It pays to read the documentation before you install new drivers or purchase equipment.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 7, 2011 6:36 PM   in reply to bgelfand

bgelfand wrote:

These "Known Issues" have existed since early this year; I am running the Catalyst Drivers from 12/2010, which work just fine.

In other words there are incompatabilities in the AMD drivers and have been for over 6 months. AMD seems to be in no great hurry to fix the problems or support Photoshop.

They've already been fixed as of version 11.5 (been there, tested that).  They've just neglected to remove the issues from the release notes.

You really do want to try the current version - Catalyst 11.7.  It's a good, solid release.

And, as you imply, the older drivers are always still available.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 7:43 AM   in reply to DocDJ

I had a similar problem with a video card that is definitely supported (NVIDIA Quadro 2000). In my case, it worked with Photoshop, but after an automatic upgrade, Photoshop opened with an error about a problem with the GPU settings and a recommendation that I upgrade my drivers. Photoshop preferences showed a blank for the detected video card. I tried various options with drivers, to no effect. I uninstalled and reinstalled CS5 - no effect.

The answer in the end was simple but strange. In Photoshop, click Help > System Info. This identifies the installed video card. After that, Photoshop remembers the video card, and shows it correctly in the Preferences box, and the setting sticks even after Photoshop is restarted.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2011 8:56 AM   in reply to DSMKZ

I think that was probably a coincidence, DSMKZ.

Generally speaking, drivers delivered through Windows Update are inferior to those you can get directly from the manufacturer's web site - in your case nvidia.com.  The WHQL process is supposed to ensure you get better quality drivers, but the reality is that the development pace is so fast that the driver writers typically improve the software greatly in the many months it takes for a driver to make it through Microsoft's lab testing.

Your best bet is, as has been mentioned before, to go to nvidia.com and download/install their latest driver release for your card and OS.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 12:23 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hey Noel. It sounds implausible, I know, but I don't think it was a coincidence. As for video card drivers, I know they are often a source of problems (dealt with lots of that in the past), so that was my first plan of attack. I used the very latest manufacturer-approved one (Lenovo), then, when that didn't help, I manually downloaded a slightly newer (but possibly less compatible) version, so these were the latest available drivers for the card in question. Photoshop is the latest 64-bit version. I got the tip from the site below (hopefully it shows up), which addresses the same problem of blank detected video card in Photoshop. In that author's case it was an ATI card, but the symptoms were identical. After all the reinstalls and reboots I've gone through, I thought it couldn't possibly be that easy, but sure enough, it worked immediately. I assume, then, that the problem is that Photoshop can get to a state where it doesn't correctly detect a correctly installed video card when it starts up, and needs a digital kick in the pants. 

http://www.beejblog.com/2010/10/solved-photoshop-cs5-detected-video.ht ml

Duncan

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 30, 2011 12:51 PM   in reply to DSMKZ

Fair enough - at least it's something for people to try.  Thanks for contributing your experience!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points