• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash Player download wont work.

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2011 Aug 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a custom desktop PC which is running Win XP SP3 OS. It also has Google Chrome, IE8 and Firefox V5 as browsers and all have been working without any problem. I recently downloaded the latest versiou of Chrome...12 or 13 which was just released early last week...the upgrade is working fine, but apparently  as a result of downloading this upgrade i started receiving messeages saying i need to download Adobe Flash Player. Sooo...i did download FP version 10.3.181.34...this is the version of IE and Firefox. I went through all the usual download screens and got the message saying it had been downloaded successfully. I checked my Add/Rem listing and it is listed there as properly installed and working. Unfortunately, every time i use a program which requires the FP i get the same message that i need to download Adobe FP.  I have gone through all of my system settings ...Security etc. The Flash Player icon in my Control Panel shows the FP as properly installed. I run AVG anti virus software so i turned all of that off and tried to open a website which required FP and still no success. My PC is working properly and running smoothly in all other respects and I have never had a problem with any Adobe product before. I have run Advanced System Care...deep scan which i usually do bi weekly...no help. I have checked all of my security settings and set them all on low ...no help. I am not a computer technician and have sort of run out of options. As probably an important aside...at the same time as my problem with the FP started I also received an Error message...:0x8007043B...following up on that via Microsoft it said that BITS is not running and outlined several steps to take to resolve that problem..I followed them to the letter several times but they didnt solve the problem.BITS is still not running and while i have no idea what that is I'm sure it is either the or one of the reasons I am unable to get FP to work even though it is downloaded properly.

Im sure I have left out some important information,but will be happy to provide it if anyone can take the time to help me solve this problem. I even tried to identify the previous version of Chrome so I could delete the recent upgrade and resinstall it and cant find it anywhere! Finally, I tried to solve my problem using System Restore going back to before I downloaded the newest version of Chrome...no luck there either.

Thanks very much for any help .

Jerry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing so much detail information; this is very helpful.

Can you tell me what files you have in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?

In IE8, Tools, Add-ons, do you see Shockwave Flash Object listed, and is it enabled?

In Firefox, type about:plugins in the address bar; can you see Shockwave Flash Object, and is it enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your help.

below i will list all of the files in the windows system folder you directed

me to.

Flash player trust

Flash install

FlashUtil10u_ActiveX

Flash Util10u_Plugin

KB923789

Flash 10u.ocx

Flashplayer.xpt

Flash Util10u_ActiveX.dll

Genuinst

NPSWF32.dll

In IE8 i DO see the Shockwave Flash Object listed and it IS ENABLED

In Firefox plugins I see Shockwave Flash listed and it is Enabled,but i dont

see Shockwave Flash Object listed, if that is different from Shockwave

Flash.

If you have any other questions let me know. Thanks again.

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks all very good.  (And you are right: the Firefox plugin is only listed as Shockwave Flash.)

Can you see the Flash animation (rotating red "f") at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ ?  Or does it also prompt you do download FP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont see any flash animation at all at that website and nowhere on it do i

see any prompt to download FP. By the way I am having the same problem with

Java if that tells you anything. Suddenly when i open a game site i

use...Pogo.com...and try to play a game i get a prompt to download Java even

though i have never had that problem before and Java is already downloaded

and listed in my Add/Rem list just like FP is. Something happened when i

downloaded the latest version of Chrome that caused all this. I routinely

run a lot of utilities on my pc and keep it as "clean" as possible. I even

uninstalled Chrome to see if that would help but it didnt.

jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2011 Aug 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this stage my only idea is a clean install of Flash Player; please try the following

• download the FP uninstaller from http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html and save it to disk;
  • download the FP installers (both ActiveX & plugin) from http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html and save them to disk;
  • close all browser windows and run the downloaded uninstaller;
  • restart Windows;
  • go to C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash and delete any remaining files in there;
  • now run the downloaded installers.

If you still can't get FP to work, then we need to think about something else, e.g. why both FP and Java stopped working.  At the moment I can't think of anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. i will work on implementing what you outline. as i said in my

original post i am not a computer technician,but i am retired and in the

past 11 years i have had most everything bad that can happen to a computer

happen, and i have always been able to repair it myself with help from

places like this forum and others, so i am really puzzled as to why for no

apparent reason this whole problem occurred from a simple download of the

Chrome upgrade. Do you think my reinstalling Win XP might somehow do the

trick? If not I guess my last resort will be to upgrade my system to Win 7

which i really dont want to do and probably have to format the hard drive in

the process. What do you think ? Thanks again.

jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies; I made a little mistake in my earlier instructions.  The third bulleted line should read "run the downloaded uninstaller" (now highlighted in italics).

If you already tried the instructions and did not succeed, please try again with the corrected instructions.

I do not think that reinstalling Windows (or upgrading to Win 7) is necessary to get Flash Player to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

no problem. But, since i now have both java and FP working properly I think

i will just leave well enough alone.I do plan to reinstall Chrome and

Firefox so I may need to resort to your directions at that point if the same

problem develops.

Thanks again for your help.

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines