Skip navigation
mikeyindaburg
Currently Being Moderated

Advice needed - graphics card for After Effects & Premiere Pro

Aug 10, 2011 6:47 AM

Hello all,

I've been researching PC's hoping to make an investment in the most powerful PC I can afford without breaking the bank, and I need some opinions.  From my research online it would appear that the best setup for video editing would include an Intel i7 processor and an nVidia GeForce GTX 590 graphics card.

The problem is that every computer I see that has this combo is significantly more expensive than other computers that have an Intel i7 and GeForce GTX 570.  The best bang for my buck I found was from HP--it had an Intel i7 processor but only a GeForce GTX 550 graphics card.

My question to you all is this: how much of a difference do these graphic cards make in terms of actual speed and cutting down work time & rendering time in After Effects & Premiere Pro CS5/CS5.5?  Is it worth the extra $300-$400 to get the GTX 590?  Or would that only serve to knock off a miniscule few minutes off of rendering times/software performance?  Furthermore, could I get away with fast speeds and rendering times with a GTX 550?

To give you an idea of what I'm using this software for: I work on HD DSLR wedding videos, occasionally with several layers of effects going on, and lots of transitions; I'll be working on videos ranging from a few minutes in length to upwards of 45 minutes in length.

I appreciate any input anyone has.  Thank you in advance, and kindest regards!

-Michael

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 10, 2011 7:05 AM   in reply to mikeyindaburg

The 590 is OUT. It is a dual GPU and Adobe only uses one GPU. So it would be an utter waste of money. Your best bet is a single GPU like the 560 Ti/570 or 580. BFTB-wise (Bang-for-the-buck) the 560 Ti or 570 is probably your best bet. In AE you will not note any difference, in PR the difference is almost negligible.

Check out PPBM5 Benchmark

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 7:16 AM   in reply to mikeyindaburg

I found this site more useful than some of the other websites peeople are self promoting.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 8:19 AM   in reply to mikeyindaburg

Beware of HP systems. In general they are unperpowered from a PSU point of view, they use custom PSU's that can not be exchanged for anything but HP, they use custom dimensions for the PSU so it is impossible to replace one yourself and they are anything but attractive from a BFTB point of view. They are very difficult to overclock if at all and are no more than mediocre performers.

The specs you gave show that this is an ill-configured system. An i7-2600 system should have 8 or 16 GB memory, not 12 GB. It should use 4 DIMM sockets, not 3. The PSU is underpowered for that video card. The primary disk is way too big for OS & programs and a complete waste of space. On a well tuned system 150 GB is more than enough. 2 TB is inappropriate. You miss the 3-rd and 4-th hard disk, that you really will appreciate to gain performance.

In short, these specs look like a waste of money.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 9:06 AM   in reply to mikeyindaburg

Glad the site was helpful. I'm a bit of noob myself and just completed my first build. I went with a 570 with two fans in an open design. If you notice there was very little difference between the 570 and 580 although I was tempted to go with the 580 as well but had a significant price jump and there are better ways to improve my system with the savings.

Configuring a computer for video editing takes a lot of research. And even then you will just get general advice on your questions. So it's best to do some extra reseach instead of just relying on one website or reccomendation. Even the Adobe minimum reccomendations are insufficent.

Start with the FAQ list at the top.

I built my own with lots of info from here but be prepared for some frustration and plenty of research. However it should be very easy to build a much better computer than the HP list for less. 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972

Check out some recent computer builds and you will see that you need more harddrives, more RAM, bigger PS, etc.

Then configure your own list and start a new thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 10:04 AM   in reply to mikeyindaburg

GTX 470, no ''crack'' needed and $ 200,- (i think same power for PrePro & AE like the GTX 560/570 series

( i'm ordering a Gigabyte Geforce GTX470 1280mb GV-N470 SOC, with 3 fans for € 229,-)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 12:00 PM   in reply to mikeyindaburg

The most affordable solution is to build it yourself, but the drawback is that you have to be able to give your own support. If you want to buy, look at http://adkvideoediting.com/

They build very good machines within your budget and deliver top-notch support.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 12:29 PM   in reply to mikeyindaburg

Your initial configuration looks a bit out of date (the i7-960, while very affordable is a rather old architecture). I suggest you contact Eric or Scott to help you out, but I would be more inclined towards an i7-2600K with 16 GB RAM or preferably an i7-970 with 24 GB memory. If you want to build it yourself, invest time to read about different configurations here on this forum. There is much to learn and digest, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 8:46 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks Harm and Mike for this posts.

Yes indeed a lot can be learnd.

(System Win7 64, 25GB Ram, I-7 960)

Im using an older Nvidia CX and want to upgrage to Geforce  570 or 580.

In my workflow i use 3 Displays. 2x flat TV (now connexion diplay port to HDMI) an 1x Panasonic 1760 for preview (connected via Blackmagic multibride SDI).

As is understood 570 or 580 have 3 ports out (2x DVI, 1x HDMI). I am not sure if they can be used at the same time simulanuesly.

My questions:

1.) can the 3 output-ports of 570/580 be used at the same time

2.) is it possible to use simultanusly 570/580 out-HDMI in connection with for example Blackmagic mini-converter (HDMI to SDI) to connect SDI (preview-monitor Panasonic 1760)

3.) where are mistaces in my thoughts

thanks for your help

klfi

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 8:57 AM   in reply to klfi

Only the 590 gives you more than 2 channels output at any one time. So no you would still need the Blackmagic for the 3rd output or another video card. I would use the Blackmagic rather than one of the convertors with a 2nd video card.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 10:37 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Thanks Eric.

klfi

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...