Skip navigation
macromac
Currently Being Moderated

Wrong page numbers on PDF export (ID CS5.5)

Jun 20, 2011 8:00 AM

The Export to PDF out of a book document (with 12 single documents in it) results in wrong pagination (30, 31, 33, 31, 35, 31 ...). Direct Export out of the same single document is right. I cannot see any difference between the single docs, but the phenomen is only in some parts of the book.

What is the thing about this? Did anybody have similar effects?

Thanks for any idea!

Carsten

MacBookPro Core Duo

Snow Leopard

InDesign CS 5.5 (Design Premium Collection)

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2011 8:05 AM   in reply to macromac

Check all the docs first

Use the sub menu in the book panel to Update Page Numbers (only this one)

If it's still not working

Delete that book file and start a new one with File>New Book

Import the files fresh and try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 8:40 AM   in reply to macromac

And if you post back, give us some real details. Version of ID, export settings, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 8:59 AM   in reply to macromac

Try selecting a selection of files in the book and use Export Selection to PDF

See if the issue still comes up.

If it's still not working, try exporting the problematic files to IDML and open them (opens as Untitled)

Delete the old file from the book. Then insert the newly saved InDesign file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 7:44 PM   in reply to macromac

This is happening to me as well in CS5.5. I only have 9 files in the book. I have 10.6.7, Indesign CS 5.5.  Could it be a bug?  I've never had this before and I've used the Book feature for years and never had this until I upgraded to 5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 8:33 AM   in reply to macromac

Wow - I'll check this out in CS5.5 later today!

If anyone else can test this?

If it is an issue then I couldn't upgrade for work ... sigh. Hope someone can clarify!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 6:52 AM   in reply to macromac

I downloaded the 7.5.1 update, and the problem went away. But I also read on IndesignSecrets.com that if you install the 7.5.1 update, that some plug-ins from CS5 won't work (or something to that effect). But that may have been resolved so do your own research. I don't pretend to be an expert.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jul 4, 2011 6:55 PM   in reply to macromac

In my case the update makes no difference.

Meaning it did not cause you problems with plugins, or meaning it did not solve the wrong page number issue?

Thre is no concern with plugins, unless you have purchased a third-party plugin that is not compatible with CS5.5. That is a minority of users, chiefly enterprise users, catalog users, and font management utiity users.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2011 2:14 PM   in reply to macromac

Agreed. The 7.5.1 update did not solve the problem for me either, and the idml round-trip only solves it intermitently. Exporting each document separately and combining the pdfs in Acrobat is the only safe work-around, but really inconvenient on large books.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 9:46 AM   in reply to macromac

macromac, I upgraded from CS4 to CS5.5, so I don't know if it happened in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2011 1:58 PM   in reply to macromac

Bumping up this thread to see if anyone has figured out anything new regarding this problem. It is really bumming me out. I reported it to Adobe on their bug report/feature request form, but they don't reply back, so I have no idea if anyone is looking into it or not.

Any new thoughts?

Sarah

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Aug 12, 2011 2:05 PM   in reply to xSarahHx

It looks like this problem is sufficiently complicated that that

without a copy of your test file, it's a pain to reproduce.

If you want a response from Adobe, you need to use the Adobe Support

Portal. http://adobe.com/go/supportportal. Among other things, that

will allow you to attach demonstration files, and also ensure someone

from Adobe gets back to you.

If you post a file publicly, I think a number of us would be

interested in looking at it. (Or you could email it to me.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2011 10:49 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Thanks, John. If anyone wants to look at this, the files should be available here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38282222/cs5.5tests.zip

These are just some small excerpt files that show the problem (starting on what should be page 25). Most of my books are giant text books, so the problem becomes quite a bit bigger.

I have also submitted a case to Adobe. Their first suggestion is to export to idml, even though I told them I already tried  that and it doesn't solve the page number problem every time. The Adobe message to me was actually a verbatim copy and paste of Step 1 through 5 from this webpage:  http://www.creativeprogression.com/indesign-book-pdf-export-problem/. Good to know they can use Google, just like me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2011 2:01 PM   in reply to xSarahHx

I experienced this issue a couple months ago when CS5.5 was first released. At the time, I was not able to find much help online. Because I had experinece in IDML helping to fix other problems, I tried the IDML export and it solved the problem for me. I wrote up my experience in an article on my website, which Sarah just mentioned in her post:

http://www.creativeprogression.com/indesign-book-pdf-export-problem/

Unfortunately the IDML workaround does not seem to solve the problem in all cases, as Sarah and others have pointed out. I've only experienced the issue in one of my books, out of about a dozen I've done so far in CS5.5.

My main purpose in posting is because I find it disturbing that Adobe tech support is plagiarizing this and perhaps other articles with no reference to the source of the information. While I feel honored that the Adobe rep felt that my information was worth passing on to an Adobe customer, to do so without proper citation is unprofessional and can lead to very big problems for the company. To that effect I've written a new article on my site today:

http://www.creativeprogression.com/adobe-tech-support-commits-blatant- plagiarism/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2011 2:16 PM   in reply to xSarahHx

Sarah, thanks for posting some files. I just tested them -- I was able to recreate the problem. I then exported the files to IDML, then reimported the IMDL, saved the files, and put them into the book in place of the old files. When I made a PDF, the page numbers were correct -- so the IDML workaround fixed it for me in this situation. I know that in some cases the IDML workaround isn't fixing it for you, though, so I know this doesn't really help you :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2011 2:18 PM   in reply to Paul Erdman

I appreciate the feedback everyone has given on this. For now, I'm going to send individual PDFs rather than a single PDF created using the BOOK feature. I just can't risk my client thinking I'm incompetent and don't feel like having the check the page #s every time I generate a PDF in a 688-page textbook. I do not want to even try to do the IDML workaround because I have found slight variations after saving "down" and then opening in CS5 or reopening in CS5.5.  I don't have to tell anyone what havoc can be experienced when a single character bounces to the next page. I just can't risk it. Hopefully there will be a patch someday soon.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Aug 15, 2011 9:42 PM   in reply to xSarahHx

I had started to look at this over the weekend (thanks, Sarah, for sending along the files), and didn't get a chance to come back to it.

Looking at it now, there are several interesting things.

I think the first is that if I use Sarah's book file, I see the problem. But if I create my own book file from the constitutent documents, I do not see the problem.

Tentative conclusion is that this is an issue with the book file, not with the documents.

The next observation is that the two book files, Sarah's and Mine, are not very different. At least by some metrics. While in a literal sense, 10195/69632 bytes do differ (15%), if I look at ASCII text, the story is a bit different. Running the "strings" command on both of them to extract the alphanumeric-looking stuff in the files, and then diffing them, there are only 8 differences (technically 8 "hunks" as reported by diff). They are:

1. "FgPM" at the beginning instead of "FgPM" in mine.

2. com.apple.print.PageFormat.PMAdjustedPageRect is a real number 0.0 in Sarah's, and an integer 0 in mine.

3. com.apple.print.ticket.stateFlag's <inteer>0</integer> has a linebreak across it (or something) in mine

4. com.apple.print.PaperInfo.PMUnadjustedPageRect< is a real number 0.0 in Sarah's and an integer 0 in mine.

5. com.apple.print.PrintSettings.PMColorSyncProfileID is 1294 for Sarah and 1580 for me.

6. another linebreak issue with a second rference to com.apple.print.ticket.stateFlag.

7.  My default printer name and the fact that its an HP Laserjet 8150 is substitued for Sarah's C280 and the fact that it is or has a Fiery E10 50-45C-KM PS Color Server1.1 along

8. The pathname to the constituent files within the book is different, and mine does not have a reference to Process Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black that Sarah's does.

That's it.

Not totally sure what to make of it, really. I suppose I would suggest trying to change your default printer before File > New Book and see if you can find a way to make that matter...

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Aug 15, 2011 10:10 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Wrong!

Argh, nevermind. Operator error. Somehow I placed the wrong files in my test book (INDD files I had created via IDML export to open in CS5 instead of CS5.5). Oh well.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2011 9:40 AM   in reply to Paul Erdman

We have experienced exactly the same problem in ID5.5 on Windows XP SP3.

Also problems with other automated elements (running heads) occasionally containing the wrong text (from a previous chapter of a book) when exporting a whole document to PDF, but not when exporting shorter chunks.

Ivan

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 10:52 AM   in reply to Ivan O\'Brien

I just ran into what may be a related issue today. I've got a book with 22 chapters and I'm using InDesign's Index panel. When I generate the index, some of the page numbers are blank, so there is a comma, a space, then another comma -- indicating a missing number. When I look up what the missing numbers should be, they all come from just a couple documents -- so once again it looks like the book panel is having problems with the numbering of a couple documents.

I'm guessing these two issues are related.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2011 2:17 PM   in reply to Paul Erdman

For what it's worth, here's what I got from Adobe after several back-and-forth messages:

Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support.

As per the discussion with the senior level, I have logged this issue with my Product Team and Engineering Team as Bug # 182559740. Our Engineering Team will look into this issue, and if in the future a resolution or fix is possible, it will be available from the Adobe Systems product update web site: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

I am closing this case as of now and if you have any new information, please contact us within 14 days, with the details, so that we may re-open this support incident.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for choosing Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Aug 24, 2011 2:24 PM   in reply to xSarahHx

Well, congratulations, that's basically what we wanted. Except:

As per the discussion with the senior level, I have logged this issue with my Product Team and Engineering Team as Bug # 182559740. Our

I'm under the impression that InDesign bug numbers are 7-digit numbers that tend to start with 29 or so. The number you cite looks very much like an Adobe Support Portal Case #. Presumably you have one of those as well -- is it the same? If so, perhaps the person responding to you just cut and pasted the wrong number and you should ask him or her. If not, err, well, I'd be at least a a little bit suspicious.

But it sounds like they've acknowledged your bug, which is great.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 3:34 PM   in reply to macromac

I'm experiencing a similar problem - Indesign CS5.5 updated to 7.5.1 on a mac running Lion. All pdf-x exports result in errors to do with master page items - wrong page numbers, misplaced text boxes, missing page elements. Of the pdf-x settings, pdf-X-4 works best, but I still need to thoroughly check documents as it still produces incorrect page numbering from time to time. Sat on the phone for an hour with tech support - eventually sent some files to the guy, got a response a few days later asking me to specify a day and time for a call-back - did  so, but no call-back, probably because i'm in South Africa.

Also experiencing problems using variables in running headers - all will be working fine, then suddenly something changes in a document and variables will only work if they are all part of a single story. Never had this in CS4.

Hoping adobe can issue an update to fix these soon - wishing I'd stayed with CS4 a while longer - have wasted many valuable  hours on these problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2011 8:28 AM   in reply to simonvg

Simonvg, while there is no official solution from Adobe that solves the problem with their code, there are some workarounds that can help resolve issues for many users. For many of us that require the CS5.5 features for EPUB publishing, reverting to previous versions is not an option. I've found that exporting the problematic portions of the book to IDML can often resolve the issue; it's worked in the two books that I'ver personally had the problem in, and it's worked in the majority of people's projects who've reported the issue on my site. It's certainly worth a try.

You can find a complete write-up of the issue with more complete troubleshooting steps at:

http://www.creativeprogression.com/indesign-book-pdf-export-problem/

Again, this isn't a "real" solution, in that Adobe has admitted it's caused by bugs in the book panel that needs to be addressed with a code fix, but for some reason using IDML can sometimes clean up the issue. It's a bit like voodoo, though, as you sometimes have to run through the steps more than one time, and fixing one document might cause other documents to start exibiting issues, so then you have to use IDML with them.

It's unfortunate that while Adobe has been putting so much development energy into cutting edge bells and whistles they've neglected the bread and butter of desktop publishing. All these bugs in basic book publishing, shortcomings in support for book functions, and the complete lack of basic functions like endnotes continue to be real sore points.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 11:35 AM   in reply to macromac

great to know i'm not alone in this problem and that adobe are supposed to be working on it. Let's hope they issue and update to fix it soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 11:36 AM   in reply to Paul Erdman

and thanks Paul for your write up of the issue - very useful information which I will definitely be using.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Oct 20, 2011 12:15 PM   in reply to simonvg

I too am having these same issues but the IDML fix has yet to work for me. I have posted on Paul's IDML write-up another workaround that might work for some people.  I am reposting it here as well.

Print to PDF Workaround

This issue was recently escalated to our Chief Technical Officer. He figured out that if you can print to pdf there is no page numbering issue. There are a few problems with this though.

1. NOT ORIGINALLY SUPPORTED: In Illustrator and Indesign CS5 printing to pdf from the print dialog box is no longer supported. There is a pretty simple way to solve this. Go to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/852/cpsid_85257.html and follow the instructions. This will allow you to set the printer as Postscript file and save as a .ps. This file can then be converted to a pdf using either Acrobat Distiller or Apple Preview.

2. NO BLEED: The next drawback to this method is that I can't see any way to include bleed in the document. The print dialog box shows that it includes bleed, but the final .ps document does not. I am not sure how to solve this problem if anyone can figure it out let us all know.

3. INTERACTIVE PDFS: I have not checked but I only assume that this method will not support interactive PDFs

This method will work for me for now as the only pages that include bleed on my book files are the covers and those pages are very easy to add in later.

Please post here if this works for anyone else and if you find a workaround for the bleed issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2011 3:55 AM   in reply to macromac

Today I installed the latest update for InDesign CS5.5 - the 7.5.2 update, hoping it would fix the problem, and it seems to have partially fixed the problem, in that there do seem to be fewer errors in the pdfs, but the problem is definitely still there, with missing headers and footers in places, missing or moved page numbers, etc. Let's hope they're still working on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2011 5:52 AM   in reply to simonvg

If you are still seeing problems, you should file another bug report.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 10:11 PM   in reply to Paul Erdman

I just updated InDesign CS5.5 - to 7.5.2 and also have a problem with pagination (in one chapter of a 10 chapter 22 page book) when I export to PDF. Not at all happy about this --didn't expect a bug or have to spend so much time searching for a solution. The IDML solution sounds tedious and also sounds like it causes more problems. Is there an Adobe fix to this? I am under the gun to meet a printing deadline. Also does it matter which kind of PDF I export to? ie PDF/X-1a:2001 or PDF/X-4:2008? Thanks

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 8, 2011 10:29 PM   in reply to LNYVR

Adobe has not released a solution, you're not going to get one from them to satisfy "under the gun."

I would suggest exporting the problematic chapter as seperate file and merging it with the others using Acrobat Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 10:42 PM   in reply to LNYVR

Have you tried re-creating your book file? I found that the problem seemed to be related to book files that were converted from CS4 when I upgraded. When I created new book files and re-imported my documents, the problem disappeared, at least in the books I was having problems with.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 9:49 AM   in reply to simonvg

Thanks for your suggestion. I created the book in CS 5.5 but pagination is still wrong in one chapter.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points