Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PageMaker 6.5 installation on Windows 7 64-bit

Nov 9, 2009 11:01 AM

The installer doesn't like Windows 7 64-bit.  Does anyone have any hints for getting it to install?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2009 12:28 PM   in reply to mbrochstein

I'm sorry but you're trying to fit a round peg in square hole.

PAGEMAKER 6.0 and earlier are no longer supported at all.

PAGEMAKER 6.5x IS NOT SUPPORTED ON WINDOWS XP

This is what Adobe says:
    PageMaker 6.5x, however, may not meet your expectations in Windows XP, since it was released prior to Windows XP and was not developed for this operating system. Adobe Technical Support provides assistance with using PageMaker 6.5x features in Windows XP and with troubleshooting issues that also occur in Windows 2000, NT with Service Pack 5 or 6, ME, 98, or 95.
    (As Microsoft now only offer paid support and free critical security updates for Windows 98 until 30th June '06, I suspect support from Adobe for PM6.5x and PM7.x on this platform may also diminish.)

Click here to read Adobe's Support Policy for PageMaker 6.5 and 7.x in Windows XP, from where the above quote was extracted.

So no hope for Windows7.   Upgrade to InDesign while there are discounts for PM Licence holders.

Iechyd da! John
    20:27 09/11/2009 GMT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 6:42 PM   in reply to BigJohnD

Will PM 7.0 work with Windows 7 64-bit?  Having spent years learning PM, I can get it to do what I want and would prefer to not have to buy new software and start all over again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 7:01 PM   in reply to Bald Eagle 44

Did you read the message immediately before yours? Or any of the previous threads on the subject?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 7:07 PM   in reply to Bald Eagle 44

Not at all likely. Either keep your old machine or take advantage of Adobe's very generous upgrade offer to InDesign: http://amzn.to/ebRlwu

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 7:08 PM   in reply to Claudio González

That was a rhetorical question, right, Claudio?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 12:42 AM   in reply to Bald Eagle 44

Bald Eagle 44 wrote:

Will PM 7.0 work with Windows 7 64-bit?

No. You can try, but I expect the installer will not work properly.

Either move on to InDesign 5 (see it as PageMaker 12 from Adobe) or keep PM7 on your WinXP(?) setup.

I suppose you could use Virtual Windows but you said you don't want to learn anything new.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 5:06 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

BobLevine wrote:

That was a rhetorical question, right, Claudio?

Bob

Well, not completely, Bob. It certainly looks odd to me to ask a question immediately below its answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 9:07 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Yes Claudio, I read the post immediately above my inquiry and used "Search" to find what I was looking for, and also spent about an hour looking for answers elsewhere.  The results all referenced PM6.5, not PM7.0.  Call it grasping for straws, but I was hoping that there was some subtle difference that would provide a solution without having to blow two hundred bucks for an upgrade for a program that I only use for personal projects.  As a retiree living on a fixed income I am forced to sit in a cold, dark room, eating cat food to survive, warmed only by the glow of the computer monitor, waiting for death to come and take me.

Thanks for your help, yap.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 9:50 AM   in reply to Bald Eagle 44

Whenever someone asks about pagemaker on windows 7, they are almost guaranteed to be retired, or working for a church.

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 3:26 PM   in reply to Bald Eagle 44

Eagle, the update/upgrade from 6.5 to 7 was

almost a joke.

In any case, none of the two versions work in any of the

recent OSs.

If you are not willing to mover on to InDesign, you can always keep an old machine running a suitably old OS and run PM in it.

The warmth you get from a monitor does not seem to depend on OS versions, and cat food will taste just the same...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 7:32 AM   in reply to mbrochstein

Despite Adobe's warning, PM v6.5 works just fine on XP. It won't install in Win7 as such, but

if you have Win7 Professional or Ultimate, you can install XP Mode and PM v6.5 (and presumably v7.0)

will run in that. You can download XP Mode at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

If you have a Home edition of Win7, you'll have to decide whether you prefer to upgrade Win7 or upgrade from PM to another desktop publishing app.

BTW, I'm neither retired nor at a church, though I run PM 6.5. My reason is that I use it primarily to maintain the documentation manual for software that we sell; I'm a software developer, not a graphic designer, and don't want to spend the time and money to learn a completely new app. PM (which I've had since v3) meets my needs, and I don't want to be forced off it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 7:37 AM   in reply to ElrondPA

You mean it works fine on XP for you. Most people aren't quite that lucky.

Are you offering to help anyone that is having issues?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:15 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I am also retired and volunteering for an environmental group.  I have Pagemaker 6.5 installed and running under XP Pro.  I believe I got there just by copying the whole folder from the Windows 98 computer.  Seems as long as you have the resource files in the same folder it runs fine.  I'll let you know if the same technique works in Windows 7 if I ever upgrade.

pm65.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 11:06 PM   in reply to alan_c_james

I have used PageMaker since it was release in 1988 and have run my publishing business using it. Imagine my surprise when I upgraded from XP Pro (SP3) to Windows 7 Pro and PageMaker would not install.

All the experts said it wasn't possible . . . HAH!

I read Bob Levine's comment (see previous comment) and I knew what I had to do.

I dug out an old system backup and found the PageMaker program directory where it had been successfully installed (i.e. C:\PageMaker).

Then I created a PageMaker directory in Windows 7 and copied the entire PageMaker directory over from the backup.

Once that was done, I opened a Windows Explorer window and navigated to an existing PageMaker document on my Windows 7 system.

Once I found a PageMaker file, I right clicked on it and selected "Open".

Next, choose "Select a program from a list of installed programs" (See below).

Open.jpg

When the Ok button is selected, another window will open. Choose the "Browse" button and navigate to the PageMaker directory and select the PageMaker program.

Voila! You are back in business.

You will need to do the same process for the PageMaker template files "FileName.T65".

Good luck. Please post here if you have had the same success that I have had.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 4:05 AM   in reply to Old Typographer

The real question is what happens when it come to printing/pdf creation.
    Jay

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to Old Typographer

Good luck is right because you’re going to need it…anyone running a business with PM is playing Russian Roulette.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to Old Typographer

Best of luck! Remember to back up your PM files very frequently for when PM goes belly up.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to BigJohnD

PageMaker 6.5 installed on my XP with no problem - and I installed it on Windows 7 at first.  Now I can't get it back on since I have a new hard drive

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to xeetoon

Are you expecting for someone to tell you how to reinstall it? Unfortunately, none of those claiming that they successfully and faultessly run PM in Win7 has ever explained how s/ he managed to install it in the first place.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to xeetoon

Have you read all of the posts here? You're either lucky or you're not.

It's time to move on. If you don't want to go to InDesign try Scribus (opensource and free or Serif Page Plus for about $99.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

PageMaker 6.5 can be installed on Windows 7, but it is next to impossible

and will never work right again.

Go get yourself a copy of PageMaker 7.0. It is PM6.5 made to run on Windows

I have no sympathy for Adobe killing a great product, so get PM7 wherever

you can find it (can you say Pirate Bay?).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 5:57 PM   in reply to Old Typographer

Incorrect.

PM 7 is NOT support under Windows 7, only XP and earlier.

Great product? Maybe 15 years ago but certainly not today. It's a relic.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 6:22 PM   in reply to Old Typographer

No need to post the same message twice, most of us can understand the first time.

I always understood that PM 7 had only minor differences with 6.5, and I am reasonably sure that it came out by the time of Win 2000, and certainly long before Win 7.

WordStar was also a great product at its time. Do you still use it?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 7:51 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Thanks for the feedback everyone - I appreciate them all.  I like PageMaker and found it easy to use for what I wanted it for.  Downloaded Scriber - so far can't find where the text button is Tech support even told me that PM 7 would not work right on Windows 7 so...time for something new

Thanks again

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 11:06 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Not True.

I am running PM7.0 using Windows 7.0 Pro (64 bit).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 2:20 AM   in reply to Old Typographer

Old Typographer wrote:

Not True.

True. No program can be designed to be compatible with future OSs years before they are released. The fact that some people seem to manage to install PM and run it with negligible or no glitches cannot change this.

It would be interesting if one of such lucky persons shares with the rest of us what generally valid procedure they use to obtain thin amazing fact.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 3:39 AM   in reply to Old Typographer

Yes, but can you run Adobe Table?

But seriously if you can come up with a repeatable way to run Pagemaker on win 7, with complete functionality, including reliable pdf export let us know.

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 4:36 AM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Or better yet, don't.

Because it won't matter. First of all there's no way to guarantee it will work for anyone else and it's a dead end program that has been surpassed by everything else including free applications such as Scribus.

Trying to use PM on Win 7 or Win 8 is going to be nothing but an exercise in futility. While a hobbiest may find it worthwhile you'd have to be insane to use it in a professional environment.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, my point is that there would be many people, especially in developing countries, that would be most grateful if they were shown a reliable, repeatable way of installing and running faultessly PM in the newer OSs. We all know that there will always be some participants who keep on claiming that it can be done because they have done so, but I have yet to see a single one of them explaining how to achive this reliably and repeatably. And I also have yet to see one stating firmly and clearly that everything in PM works faultessly for him/her, without even a single minor glitch.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to Claudio González

And my point is that it's not going to happen. Those "lucky" enough to get it to work are simply installing it. There are just too many variables to come up with a procedure to get this to work reliably.

Perhaps a ritual sacrifice was involved but it doesn't matter. There are better alternatives including those that cost nothing.

Why this keeps coming up is way beyond my comprehension. Just download Scribus for free or stick with an old machine.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, it seems that, as I grow older, my irony is getting so subtle that only I can see it. My criticism wasn't directed to you, but to those who claim that PM works without a hitch for them... except that they later have questions like my dictionaries aren't working properly, I am having trouble when exporting to PDF, I cannot ...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to ElrondPA

I'm pleased that software from the last century runs on the latest 64-bit operating system, but please don't expect that to mean it will be same for everyone else.

If you want to run PM as was intended, use a PC with Win2K as the OS.

Otherwise, move on to InDesign (there aren't any discounts for PM licence holders any more) or use a different current product.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to mbrochstein

I am 91 and have been using PageMaker for ages. I publish a small newsletter. Now PM6.5 that I managed to install  on Win 8 64 bit. The secret is to download an installed copy first then trick Win 8 to install it. It does not show on the Start Page, but it works fine. It has a shortcut on  the desktop. I also managed to install Photoshop 7 the same way and it's on the Start Page. It was fun. MM

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 7:59 PM   in reply to michmill

That makes sense, thanks.

You're 91 years old, eh? That would mean that you would know the true

meaning of leading. Yep, reaching up and grabbing a 1 or 2 point lead to put

in your composing stick.

I was the last generation to have my roots in hot type. My father was a

linotype operator and I started in printing at the age of 14. If it used

lead, then I ran it.

I now live in the Washington, DC area and keep wondering if I should

volunteer at the Smithsonian print shop. I still know how to run a Lino,

Ludlow and an Elrod.

My favorite letterpress was the Heidelberg windmill, remember those? Back

when lead was not dead, kerning was achieved with a saw and a steady hand

(headlines only, of course).

|
    Mark as: