• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

User not activated - MAC - library book help

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2010 Dec 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find the answer on these forums.  My ADE is recognizing my nook.  I could transfer borrowed library books to my nook in ADE.  I could see the book in my documents on my nook.  However, when I try to open the file it says "user not activated".  I know that my nook is activated and I know that ADE is authorized so someone PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong before I commit myself into a mental institution.  I'm seriously contemplating returning this stupid thing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 28, 2010 Dec 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found out through trial and error how to re-authorize the nook on my mac.

1) One thing I noticed is that you have to have the nook plugged into the computer before you launch Adobe Digital Editions.  If you do it the other way around, I've found that it doesn't work.

2) If you keep getting the 'user not activated' message, you need to re-authorize your nook.  So, assuming you have authorized your computer with editions (if not, CMD+SHIFT+D to deauthorize, then just reauthorize via the library menu in editions - you need to do this first), you need to remove some files from your nook in order to re-authorize it.

3) When you plug in your nook, open the 'nook' drive that shows up on your desktop.  Delete the 'Digital Editions' folder from the 'nook' drive.

4) Next, you will need to delete the hidden files that you can't see.  In your Applications folder, there is a folder called 'Utilities.' Open 'Terminal.'

5) At the prompt, type 'cd /Volumes/nook' without the quotes and press return.

6) If you type 'ls -al' and press return, you should see all of the files in the nook folder.  You should see a folder called '.adobe-digital-editions.'  (Yes, it starts with a dot and that's why you can't see it in finder.

7) To delete the folder, type 'rm -fr .adobe-digital-editions' and press return.  Again, without the quotes.

8) Now, type 'exit' and hit return.

9) Relaunch Adobe Digital Editions and you should now be prompted to authorize your nook, which in turn should resolve the user activation error.

10) Drag and drop a book to your nook.  All should work now.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2010 Dec 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will this work for me as i just have a regular PC?

same problems...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally! An answer that worked! Thank you, SGinese, whoever you are! I don't know if you're a man or a woman or some kind of goat/reindeer hybrid, but I love you!

I have to ask, though: how on earth would a mere mortal have figured this out on his/her own? I spent hours on the phone with B&N, had a couple of chats with Adobe, and not one person had this solution. It seems a bit much to expect a regular Joe to know the inner workings of a computer to this extent.

Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you! I was on the verge of returning my xmas gift until you came along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im with amy..thank you. i was ready to take mine back as well.  i love my droid forum,thats why i found this one.thanks so so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 31, 2010 Dec 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the instructions to delete the hidden file, but if I eject the Nook and then plug it back in, that hidden file is back where it was. Is this correct? I'm thinking it's not since I still can't get my library books to get on my nook.

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2010 Dec 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make sure you are deleting both adobe digital editions .i wasnt the first time. and go into your windiws program and delete the folder there. mine is in my documents. i was so frustrated but i got it now. keep with it. it took me several attempts. good luck...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2011 Jan 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  I have been trying for 2 days, including many hours on hold with B&N and Adobe (who refused to help other than to tell me to read the forum). I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times and it kept skipping the Nook activation piece.  I followed your directions and it worked, but I did have to eject and reconnect the Nook - ADE didn't recognize on the initial attempt.  I really appreciate it!  You have totally saved my ereader experience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read your response yesterday, but I was afraid to be playing with the codes of my computer.  I was worried that it was a sick trick or that I would kill my Mac or the new nook.  However, after hours of searching and my husband waiting on the phone for hours for help, I decided to give it a try.  IT WORKED!  Your instructions should come with the nook!  You have saved my sanity.  My husband went so far as to joke that you may have saved our marriage.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my new hero.  I was soo frustrated after just bringing this thing home!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your mac steps exactly, and was able to re-activate my nook on ADE - thank you!

However, now I am receiving the fun error message when I try to drag and drop my library books to my nook in ADE "No Permission to copy document here" Anyone else run into that with a mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2011 Jan 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the same answer elsewhere and tried for hours with no luck. I did a factory reset of my NC at least 3 times, deleted the ".adobe.digital..." folders and files each time, deactivated both my Macs, uninstalled and reinstalled ADE twice, and sacrificed a goat.  I even used App Delete on my Mac(s) to make sure I deleted the hidden ADE files when I deleted ADE. Yet, I got the unable to copy errors.

Interestingly, I was abe to use Adobe's sample eBook Library and to download Alice in Wonderland and Sherlock Holmes.  Alice worked perfectly, transfering to my Nook Color and reading just fine. Sherlock Holmes; however, read perfectly in ADE but would not transfer to the NC.  I got the no copy permission error. And I was unable to read any of the three library books from my local branch I had checked out and added to ADE.

Any suggestions or are some books just not movable to some eReaders and not others?  Or is the state of eBook DRM such that it only works if you release the mouse button when the military time (including seconds) is a prime value?

I gave up, BTW, and returned my NC to Best Buy.  Now I'm awaiting their next shipment and will try again with new (again) NC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2011 Jan 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a replacement NC last night and successfully got ADE and library books working.  I was able to checkout and transfer and read there books on both my Mac and my NC.  I was also able to return the books use ADE.

In preparation, I deleted ADE from my work and home computers using App Delete (which hunts down and deletes system extensions and other hidden files on the Mac better then simply dragging the application into the trash).  The very FIRST thing I did after registering the new NC with B&N, was authorize it with ADE (after authorizing my ONE home computer with ADE).  Works like it should.  I then put my MicroSD card in and downloaded content I had from my previous NC.

I would also add that the B&N expert from whom I bought the NC said, "Borrowing library books is not really completed yet..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After opening Terminal on the Mac and following the instructions (meaning that both characters and spaces must be followed exactly), I encountered the same problem with an ebook I'd borrowed from my local library. What I finally figured out is that when I de-authorized my computer, I lost the record of having borrowed the ebook at all. Had I checked to open up the ebook within Adobe Digital Editions, I think I would have realized my problem sooner. Unfortunately, I couldn't re-borrow that ebook, but I did borrow another ebook, and the download of the second ebook, putting it into Adobe Digital Editions, and the transfer of the ebook to the Nook all worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 23, 2011 Jan 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try just double clicking on the file downloaded from the library (mine has an ".acsm" extension), and Digital Editions should just open it up.  At least that is what finally worked for me.  Dragging and dropping did not work for me either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2011 Jan 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried following your instructions, but when I typed 'cd/volumes/nook' without the quotes, I received the response '-bash: cd/volumes/nook: No such file or directory'.   I tried several times (and yes, made sure my nook was plugged in when I typed this), to no avail.  Any suggestions?   I've spent the last few hours trying to solve this horribly frustrating problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do have to follow the directions exactly. I discovered that there are spaces involved that I missed the first time.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open terminal and type in the very first prompt-- cd/Volumes/nook the response is "no such file or directory" what's going on? and from there on, if I keep on going no .adobe-digital-editions shows up on the list. BUT my nook still says the user is not activated when I try to read! I'm getting so frustrated! It's like I'm the only person having this problem and I have no idea how to solve it! Any help would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you type the commands into the terminal app, please make sure to type the commands exactly.

The command is 'cd /Volumes/nook' (without the quotes).  If you just type 'cd /Volumes' and then hit TAB a couple of times, it will display to you all of the possible volume names on the computer.  This will let you know if your nook is actually connected to the computer correctly.  You might see things like 'Macintosh HD' as well, but you should hopefully also see 'nook' as a volume name.

You need a space after 'cd' and you need a forward slash before the V and the V has to be a capital letter.

You're literally writing in Unix commands 'Change Directory to the nook volume.'  In Unix, the capital letter is important, as is the forward slash.  So, in Unix, you can have a file or folder called 'volumes' right next to 'Volumes' and they are treated like two totally different things.  The correct one for the purposes of this example is '/Volumes'

For anyone who is interested, if you think of the directories as a hierarchy, if you put a slash, it tells the machine to look for the directory at the top of the hierarchy, but if you don't put the slash, it tells the machine to look in the current directly.  By default, when you open terminal, it puts you in your home directory, so if you type cd Volumes/nook (assuming it existed, but it doesn't) the machine would be looking in a folder called /Users/<yourusername>/Volumes/nook.  But you need to be looking in /Volumes/nook.  So, if you think of it like a filing system, it would look like this.

/ (the highest level of the hierarchy - the whole filing cabinet)

/Users (the first drawer of the filing cabinet)

/Users/<yourusername>  (this is where you are by default when you log into terminal - a folder in the first drawer of the filing cabinet)

/Users/<yourusername>/Volumes/nook (where you are looking if you forget the slash - this doesn't exist, so when you look for the folder, you get nothing)

/Volumes/nook (where your nook device is located when it's plugged in - it's the second drawer in the filing cabinet)

Might be a little confusing, but for anyone interested...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2011 Jun 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! I had been trying to fix this problem for days trying every solution I saw.  This one worked!  Yeah I bought the nook for library use now I can do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how in the world you figured this out, but it worked for me (after numerous failed attempts at resolution).

However, why was this necessary to begin with?  I thought I had done everything right the first time, both my MacBook and Nook had been authorized.  But, until following your procedure, I kept getting the "User not activated" error on my Nook.

Based on some other forum posts, I decided to make sure my Adobe ID email address matched the email address I used at the public library, so I changed my Adobe ID email address.  Could this have caused the problem in the first place?

It would be good to know why this was necessary to help other Nook users who may encounter the same error.

Thanks again.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SGinese....thanks for your help.  Why is the Digital Editions program so user UNfriendly?  I got absolutely no help from Nook support or Adobe support, but you gave a very clear solution to the same problem that many people apparently have encountered. Many thanks to you for taking the time (unselfishly) to explain step by step how to resove this issue.   Another problem (untechnical and not directly related) that people should be aware of before they buy a Nook is that Barnes & Noble will not sell you a book if you are physically out of the US.  I was unpleasantly surprised to discover this while living and traveling in Mexico.  I found another ebook seller, ebooks.com, that will sell the copy I wanted and had no trouble downloading the epub formatted ebook.  Barnes and Noble said (after digging thru their support literature) that ebooks will not be available for customers who travel "overseas" for downloading.  A little vague and not precise since I did not travel overseas to Mexico.  This is a real paradox since the main advantage to having a Nook is that travelers can take one ereader instead of packing many books.  Don't figure.  The Barnes and Noble representatives reply was that they were working on it, but no commitment was made regards to when this issue would be resolved.  Do the Kindle customers who travel outside the US have this same problem with purchasing new ebooks from Amazon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2011 May 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!  You got me headed in the right direction.  The support folks at Adobe directed me to your message.  I have a PC with VISTA.  The solution was a little easier for me because the .adobe-digital-editions folder showed up in the Nook directory and I could delete it directly from there along with the "Digital Editions" folder.  I then disconnected the Nook, activated and authorized ADE and then plugged in the Nook.  I was able to activate it.  IT WORKED! I downloaded a library book, transferred it to the Nook and was able to open it.

BTW I later found on the Adobe website that the Nook comes pre-loaded with a version of Digital Editions.  That's why it doesn't allow for proper authorization of the Nook initially.  Their version has to be removed from the Nook (as you figured out how to do) and a version installed from ADE on your computer.  Why doesn't B&N tell us this when we buy it? They give you a pamphlet that tells how to access ADE and the library system but don't tell you about this problem,

I was really frustrated, since I purchased the Nook because of its advertised compatibility with the library system.  Now, I'm happy!

Again, I can't thank you enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bring up a point that ALL of us have to consider: software updates and

compatibility.

I am pretty sure that Nooks don't have the 'latest' version of ADE loaded -

it's almost impossible for them to do so at the manufacturing site. Ditto

with other ebook readers: their manufacturing date may be way before the

latest release (I ran into this with my Literati, but had forgotten about it

until your post). And we have to be sure that, when we update ADE on our

computers, we check to see whether we need to update ADE on our ebook

readers also. I HOPE Adobe will tell us that!!! [Are you listening,

Adobe?]

I'll stow away the info on preparing a Nook to interface with ADE. I'm sure

someone else will benefit from it.

Thanks!

=============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  I have been trying for more than 6 months to get this to work.  I had just accepted the fact that I would never be able to use it for the library, when I came across your solution.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines