Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating and Saving Data

Aug 20, 2011 7:34 PM

I don't know if this is the correct forum for my question, but it seems it may be.

I'd like to know if there's a way to take data entered into a field in flash, save it, and call it later via an object.

I don't want anyone to walk me through it if there is, that's not what I'm asking. I'm just asking what I need to know in order to do this. I'd like to build a certain flash app that takes information (such as a name, paragraph, and/or sentence) saves it, and can then be recalled when a user clicks a button... even if the user has closed out the application.

I'm still relatively new to flash, I know enough to get by on basic projects, but I want to expand my knowledge so I don't end up stuck in a beginners rut.

Would this require using PHP and Flash? Or can it be done entirely in flash via exporting data to a designated external file?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2011 8:19 AM   in reply to StoneChameleon

Hi

This is easy to do with sharedObject - stores data locally and can be recalled on App restart.

Hope it helps

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to The Feldkircher

hi The Feldkircher,

if i use shared object, can i upload my swf to web, and if close and open that shared object value wil be updated? i can use as storing for values in shared object in net uploaded swf?

pls clarify me.

Thanks and Regards,

Syed

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to rahimhaji

Hi Syed

A sharedObject acts like a web cookie does for a normal html site, every visitor to your online swf would automatically create their own unique version of the sharedObject on their HDD.

Therefore you can store just about any data you wish upto a limit of 100K/sO, its ideal for presets and storing user settings like names, scores and colour schemes. Every time a visitor returns to your site you can reload their last state or reset your defaults to user selected state.

Hope it helps

The Feldkircher

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points