Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

1 pixel border between fill and stroke

Aug 25, 2011 10:41 AM

hello

it seems like this is a basic error on my part but cant sort it for love nor money.

I create a path in illustrator or photoshop cs5 export it or work directly with it, stroke it using my brush always at 100 hardness, then go to fill it via paint bucket or fill stroke im always left with what looks like a white border between the two. Ive tried turning anti alias on/off and so many other settings i cant remember but to no avail. I have googled but cannot find an answer anywhere.Anyone with any ideas please help.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 25, 2011 3:09 PM   in reply to stuartskeltonuk

I'm thinking the paint bucket is not willing to consider the anti-aliased pixels along the edge of the stroke the same color as those under the point where you applied it.

This is probably a situation where you could be doing things a different way or in a different order to get better results.

Why not create a filled shape, then stroke it?  I did that as an example and didn't see any discontinuity.

ShapeAndStroke.jpg

Another option might be to make a selection out of the path then painting it with your solid color, then stroke the path.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 25, 2011 3:17 PM   in reply to stuartskeltonuk

The reason is brushes in photoshop always have a little anti-alias with the

paint brush tool even at 100% hardness. If you were to use the pencil

tool instead to stroke the path then you probably won't see that.

If you don't need a brush for the path stroke, try turning the path into a shape

layer and then using a layer style to stroke the path.

With the workpath active go to Layer>New Fill Layer>Solid Color, then to

add a stroke double click on the color fill layer in the layers panel to the right

of where it says color fill and choose stroke from the layer styles dialog.

Added: Since Noel already said basically the same thing, this is just adding

to his good information

MTSTUNER

Message was edited by: MTSTUNER

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2011 3:40 PM   in reply to stuartskeltonuk

Another way if you want to use a brush to stroke the path is to fill the path first

(right click on the path in the paths panel and choose Fill Path) and then use

the paint brush tool to stroke the path.

Untitled-2.jpg

MTSTUNER

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2011 8:37 AM   in reply to stuartskeltonuk

I've been trying to solve this issue as well. I use the brush to draw a anti-aliased line. Afterwards I use the paint bucket to fill up the area, but a small line stays visible (2 or 3px), even with the tolerance set to 255. But not always, some of the time the problem doesn't show.

I found that if I draw in a canvas with a white background, the problem doesn't show, but if I use a transparent background, the problem is there.

I outline a hand-drawed sketch, so I need to see the underlaying layer, which is why I used a transparent background. Since this causes the problem, I now use a layer with a white background, and the blending mode set to 'Multiply', so I still see my underlaying sketch!

Hope this helps some of you as well!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points