• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Favicon.ico CS5

Participant ,
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read a forum article from March 7 on this...I can't find anything about CS5 problems.  So, here goes...

I created a file .png that is 16x16.

I downloaded the pluggin from Telegraphics.com.au for Mac  CS3+CS4 (PPC+Intel) because there is nothing listed for CS5.  I put the plugin into the PS CS5 Plug-ins/File Formats folder.  I see it there as ICOFormat.plugin.

I QUITE PS and restart...I open the .png file.  I then do a SAVE AS and look at the choices...I SEE NOTHING for ICO.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,  --bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using CS5 in 32bit mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2010 Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marian,

Thanks for the note...I don't know if I am in 32bit mode.  Someone from Telegraphics sent me a CS5 version and it still doesn't showup/work.  What is the bit modes and how do I know?

Thanks, --bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one more thing...the plug-in DOES appear in the ABOUT PLUG-IN...just not one of the SAVE AS choices.

--bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my surprise, it isn't a Save option for me either. Works in CS4, but not CS5 -- I thought it did.

Anyway, I sometimes use this web-based converter:

http://iconverticons.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 20, 2010 Jun 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jimhere,

I was given a pointer from the Telegraphics people:

(ICO Format) I've installed the plugin but the format isn't listed  when I try to save my image.

The most likely cause is that the image is outside the parameters for  ICO. Check:

• not larger than 256x256 pixels;
  • Bitmap, Grey Scale, Indexed or RGB mode;
  • not more than 8 bits/channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.  I'm running CS5 in Win 64.  Adding the plugin under "Program Files (x86)" did not work.  I found it to work when plugin is installed under  "/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS5(64 Bit)/Plug-ins/File Formats/" 

I realize I'm running a PC but the issue MAY be similar on Macs.  It's worth a check..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, the 32 bit and 64 bit app and plugins are installed in different locations -- per Microsoft's guidelines/rules.

On Macintosh, the 32 bit and 64 bit app are in the same place with a single plugins folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem, and the same solution, thank you x the web-based converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use this plug in in CS5 you must restart Photoshop in 32 bit mode.

To do this go to Applications>Photoshop>  On the Ps icon "right click" and "Get Info" or CMD+i >Look for a check box "Open in 32 Bit Mode". Then open Photoshop and you're good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That did it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2011 May 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"there is nothing listed for CS5"

That is incorrect. The plugin was released for CS5 long before CS5 was publicly available. It's compatible with CS5 as a 32 and 64 bit application.

http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOFormat

--Toby (plugin author)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2011 May 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you saved your Favicon as a .png, go to the file, via the Finder, and manually change it's suffix to .ico

That's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 30, 2011 May 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG is not ICO. JPG is not ICO. GIF is not ICO. BMP is not ICO.

Renaming any other file type and pretending it is ICO is a very poor (and incompatible) idea indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could be right.

I read that on the Web last week when I needed to create a Favicon. I guess you can't trust everything you read on the Web.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution for me was to run PS in 32-bit mode, per the instructions above. That seems like a real kludge, though, since who would run PS in 32-bit mode normally if they didn't have to? So when I need to make an ICO file I'll run it in 32-bit mode. Otherwise I'll change it back to 64-bit mode. This is workable, but very strange that the author chose to leave the plugin this way and not mention this requirement in the plugin's readme file. In fact, the readme file mentions it's been tested with CS5 32/64bit. Strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@coolgrafix When properly installed, the plugin works with Photoshop in 32 and 64 bit modes, on both Mac and Windows.

Installation help is available at http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/support.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it in two places:

1) The readme.html file that comes with the Mac plugin says to put it in [PS path]/Plug-ins/File Formats/

2) The Support page you pointed me to says to put it in [PS path]/Plugins/

In both cases the results are the same. It works in 32-bit mode, but not in 64-bit mode.

I'm running Photoshop 12.0.4 (CS5) under Snow Leopard. 10.6.7.

This is not a complaint. And by the posts above and elsewhere I am not the only person with the problem. Just thought I'd throw in my use-case to the thread so others won't beat their heads again a wall.

Thanks,

Brad 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad,

You're definitely using the CS5 dmg?

If so, this does look like a fairly isolated phenomenon, as the CS5 version was released over a year ago, is currently downloaded around 200 times a day, and I have no other reports of this problem at all.

--Toby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Brad was saying, I had the same issue today as well until I ran it in 32-bit. And Also like he was saying, I'm not complaining, I'm incredibly thankful for the plug-in, I just figured I'd echo his sentiments.

However, I'm also using CS5.1, so that may also have something to do with it.

-- Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anthony

Can you confirm that you are using the CS5 version of the plugin?

--Toby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed I am. I also tried the CS3 version afterwards just out of curiosity.

-- Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now, this is very interesting. I definitely like to know if there is a problem with the plugin.

However when it comes to testing 64 bit, I am restricted to Adobe demo software (and, of course, user feedback). I notice that there is a demo version of 5.5 and so I will try to take the opportunity to re-test.

Thanks everyone for the reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping this was something simple, and it was! Was also hoping I had just missed something, and I had!

I wasn't using the CS5-only plugin. I thought I was, though, for a couple of reasons:

1) The software downloads page has the CS 5-only version in the middle the various Mac OS versions, thusly:

Mac CS2/3/4

Mac CS2 Mac 68k

Mac CS5

Mac Classic (PowerPC)

Mac Classic (PowerPC)

2) Forum posts indicated the CS3/4 version worked for 5. Seeing no CS5 version, I assumed I had the correct one.

3) The instructions that came with it said it had been tested on CS5 in 32 and 64 bit modes. I think this is probably what sealed the deal for me being convinced I had the correct version.

Recommendations:

1) Move the CS5 and Mac 68k versions as follows:

Mac CS5

Mac CS2/3/4
Mac CS2

Mac Classic (PowerPC)

Mac Classic (PowerPC)
Mac 68k

2) Change the CS2/3/4 readme.html file by removing existing CS5 references; mention a CS5-specific plugin with link.

I suspect, upon closer inspection, the other folks in the forum who also thought they had the CS5 version will discover that they do not. Please respond and let us know.
Thanks,
Brad 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(What, you can't delete a post in this dinky forum? And how come email replies just created an empty post here?)

Message was edited by: qu1j0t3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines