• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shadow/Highlight flickering

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2010 Nov 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the shadow/highlight effect, my image flickers.  I'm using manual settings.  Someone suggested changing black clip to 0%, but that did not help.  Is there another way to use this effect without flicker?

Thanks,

JB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Hi Jack and others on this thread,

It seems that if the Shadow/Highlight effect (and/or others in the "Adjust" category) are added to your clips or adjustment layers with the default setting, you can have the problem with flicker in both playback and output. Although some users have great tips on this thread, I would use these effects at your own risk.

The design of the effects probably need to be redesigned or at least refined so that the default application of these effects do not cause the "fli

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 01, 2010 Dec 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that Temporal Smoothing is enabled. See this page for details:

"Shadow/Highlight effect"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, I am not using auto amounts.  Temporal smoothing is unavailable for manual control.  Any other ideas on what I have to do to keep my footage from flickering?  This has happened on several different clips.  Thanks! JB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try using 'Levels' instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2010 Dec 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually use a combination of Levels and Shadow/Highlight for quick color correction.  Shadow/Highlight flickers on most clips, but a few get by with great results.  I still haven't found the cause of the flickering.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2010 Dec 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use Levels and H&S. I never use the H&S Auto setting, as it will usually lead to "flickering," unless the lighting and exposure are exactly the same for the total Duration of that Clip. I do it with manual settings ONLY.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2011 Apr 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution to this problem:

http://jdvos.com/?p=247

Actually quite simple...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jvos213 wrote:

The solution to this problem:

http://jdvos.com/?p=247

Actually quite simple...

That is a silly solution.

The answer was given early on .  Temporal smoothing  Did you enebale ti and increase the time value?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, actually I did even though I dislike the Auto setting intensely and it did not work.

Uneccesary to call something 'silly' just because its not conventional and if it fixes a problem which (despite your opinion) has not been adressed propperly then who cares how its done?

To make it clear:

TEMPORAL SMOOTHING IS ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN USING THE AUTO FUNCTION IN THE SHADOWS HIGHLIGHTS EFFECT. This fix applies to people using maunal adjustments of this effect as mentioned in the link you mocked.

Shadows and Highlights is pretty much a big no-go on Auto (feel free to google this topic, quite easy to see I'm not making this up) and if you have a look around you see that people who did indeed have this problem in 'Auto' mode and tried the suggested 'Temporal Shift' found that it does not work for this particular problem.

To those who ran into the same wall, feel free to try this silly solution, wont take you more than 5 minutes to apply (minus rendering time of course:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution isn't silly. It's completely ridiculous.

Another example why Premiere isn't made properly and fails to be a professional tool, in my opinion.

In 6 years running Premiere and teaching people in schools to use it, even I cannot say it's anything more than a glitchy piece of software that would be incredible if it was half as stable as it made out to be.

I suggest Adobe beta test it more, as it feels like it's beta tested for a week on brand new machines for which every single component, down to the DVD drive is tailored with nothing in mind other than Premiere compatibility. Get real! Why does every competing package run so much better on a wider variety of machines?

I used to be one of the people that kept making excuses for Premiere, thinking it was my fault, and now I just now I need to let go and see how much further competition has come.

(this is all before addressing about 6 other issues ranging from Adobe losing information on my tech support cases, to failing to do callbacks...)

Rant complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching my Shadow/Highlight for Levels fixed my issue on Adobe Premiere Pro 2022. Thank you. All the other answers about Shadow/Highlight were not helpful in my case, even with temporal soothing. Running RTX 3080TI, I9, Rog Strix 570E, 128 GB RAM, and other buffed-up specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the note and welcome to Adobe forums. I am one of the community managers here.

FYI. Obsolete Effects are not meant to be used in current projects; they are there to restore older projects. Sorry if that confused you. I'll lock the thread.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2010 Dec 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JB,

Are you leaving the Auto box checked? I find that it will likely introduce flickering, or strobing. I never use that, and will manually adjust S & H accordingly.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack,

Did you ever find a workable solution?  Runing into the same problem.  First time I have tried S/H since I upgraded from CS4.

thanks,

rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2011 Aug 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely disgusting.  I'm getting intense flickering with manual Shadow & Highlight settings on Export.  Adobe hasn't done anything to resolve this.  It is thus an amateurish piece of toy software.  This is happening without any other effects applied to a simple clip but Shadow & Highlight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2011 Aug 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The information you need about using the Shadow/Highlight effect is here, as Todd mentioned previously:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 & CS5.5 * Shadow/Highlight effect

If you would like a different behavior, then please file a feature request here:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff Bellune wrote:

The information you need about using the Shadow/Highlight effect is here, as Todd mentioned previously:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 & CS5.5 * Shadow/Highlight effect

If you would like a different behavior, then please file a feature request here:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

-Jeff

I have no idea why you keep linking people over to the help file for the Shadow/Highlight  effect.  There is absolutely no bit of information there that could lead  to any resolution of this issue.  It's an example of why people can get  so inflamed here; regulars like yourself -- though you are compensated, since your caption is a "Community Professional" -- purport to offer answers (a) without  thinking about whether it will actually address the problem; (b)  defending Adobe as a starting point; and (c) taking the easiest path of  citing already-established generalities.

This is a bug,  plain and simple.  It dates back years, and hundreds of people have reported it across the Web.  [Advice:  spend a minute looking.]  I have submitted repeated bug  reports.  Many, many other users have too.  This is a simple case of  Adobe letting the issue slide.  Like a billion others.  One tiny  example:  ever wondered what those Auto Black Levels and Auto White  Levels buttons do in the Fast Color Corrector?  Absolutely nothing.   That's been the case for several years now.  Great job, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I have no idea why you keep linking people over to the help file for the Shadow/Highlight  effect.  There is absolutely no bit of information there that could lead  to any resolution of this issue.

The page that Jeff pointed to contains information about the Temporal Smoothing control, which is suppsed to prevent flickering. You never said whether you had tried to use that control, even though it was suggested earlier in this thread.

> though you are compensated, since your caption is a "Community Professional"

That is only an acknowledgment by a group here at Adobe that Jeff has shown himself to be a knowledgeable and helpful person---which he is. It is no indication of compensation by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

> I have no idea why you keep linking people over to the help file for the Shadow/Highlight  effect.  There is absolutely no bit of information there that could lead  to any resolution of this issue.

The page that Jeff pointed to contains information about the Temporal Smoothing control, which is suppsed to prevent flickering. You never said whether you had tried to use that control, even though it was suggested earlier in this thread.

> though you are compensated, since your caption is a "Community Professional"

That is only an acknowledgment by a group here at Adobe that Jeff has shown himself to be a knowledgeable and helpful person---which he is. It is no indication of compensation by Adobe.

Seriously, this is why I question the value of these forums altogether.  People don't simply read the threads, as is standard in true power user forums all across the Interwebs.  If you merely scroll up this short thread, you'll see how obviously Temporal Smoothing is no solution, and 100% irrelevant to the issue being complained about here, which is flickering and banding during both rendering and even paused playback on the timeline in full manual mode.  Temporal smoothing is totally unavailable in manual mode, and Jeff knew that.

Since you are an actual Adobe employee, Todd, I have some advice:  presume that your customers are pointing out an error that Adobe can fix, instead of beginning with the hope that it's not Adobe's fault.  That's good customer service, or in other terms, the only way you'll survive as a business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post all of the S & H settings, chosen, that are giving you that flicker?

As I have never observed it, I want to duplicate it, if I possibly can.

Thank you,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shadow-Highlight Effect Settings Sample.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that info.

I just applied those settings to a DV-AVI Clip (SD), and Rendered that Clip. I could detect no flicker or banding, even with the Program Monitor nearly full screen on my laptop and the Magnification at 150%.

What are the specs. of the Clip, where you observe those issues?

I'll be glad to try with any Source Footage, that I can get my hands on.

Appreciated, and good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

Thank you for that info.

I just applied those settings to a DV-AVI Clip (SD), and Rendered that Clip. I could detect no flicker or banding, even with the Program Monitor nearly full screen on my laptop and the Magnification at 150%.

What are the specs. of the Clip, where you observe those issues?

I'll be glad to try with any Source Footage, that I can get my hands on.

Appreciated, and good luck,

Hunt

Thanks for checking it out.  Here's another thing to see, a screen grab that shows the Program Monitor view when the time marker is in the clip with the Shadow/Highlight effect enabled using those settings I mentioned earlier.  The source clip is a simple MPEG-2 1280x720p 29.97fps file at a moderate bitrate.

Ribbons Color Reference.jpg

The thin band at the top is showing the proper application of the effect; it moves around frame-by-frame (there are no keyframes, cropping, etc., of course) and that is the "flickering" that people are talking about/reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that IS obvious. I nearly went blind, looking for tiny flickers and banding (at least it did prompt me to clean the laptop's monitor!).

I saw nothing even close.

Am I correct that the problem exists in Exported footage too, and not just in the Program Monitor? If only in the Program Monitor, I would quickly check the video card's installed driver. If in Export, I am at a loss to explain what you show. I will definitely have to defer to Todd, Kevin, or someone else there.

Thanks for the screen-cap and good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines