Skip navigation
SkipH123
Currently Being Moderated

Terrible Hiss

Aug 29, 2011 12:05 PM

Hey folks,  I'm very new to Adobe Audition.  Got a problem with "hiss" that I'm trying to get rid of.  I'm going to explain this as best I can in hopes someone might have a solution.

I recently downloaded the trial version of CS5.5.  After opening a new file and clicking the "Arm for Record" button in a single track, I notice a considerable amount of noise in the right and left channel meters.  The noise is not noticible in the headphones as I record a voice track, but an audible" hiss" is present during playback.  It registers between db and -51 on the playback level.  Even if I record a track with all the sliders on my mixer at 00, the hiss is coming through during playback.  Any ideas what might be causing this?  I'm using an Allen & Heath ZED14 mixer, running a USB line into a Dell XPS8300.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 29, 2011 11:59 PM   in reply to SkipH123

First thing I would check is the input gain on the playback channels of the A&H mixer

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 5:43 AM   in reply to SkipH123

In my experience, the noise on a Zed 14 should actually be very good--nearer -85dB on the Audition meters than the -51 you mention.  The only time I've heard this sort of hiss from an A&H mixer, the fault turned out to be a bad capacitor in the power supply and A&H were very good about fixing it. 

However, what worries me about suggesting this is that you say the headphone output is clean (though it can be hard to tell). 

Can you plug some decent speakers into the L/R output of the mixer and listen carefully--probably while trying connecting and disconnecting different sources to see if one is bad.

Suitespot's advice about checking your gain structure is also good...though even turned right up, the mic pre amps sound darn quiet to me.

As always, it's also worth updating/re-installing the USB drivers that come with the mixer.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2011 6:38 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

I think that the first thing to do under the circumstances is to try the ZED14 interface with a different PC... at least that will give a pretty big clue as to where the trouble really is...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 7:20 AM   in reply to SkipH123

Are you sure that you have USB Audio Device selected in Audition's Audio Hardware Setup, not anything like Windows Sound or Sound Mapper? Shouldn't be going anywhere near a Windows 7 microphone setting I would have thought.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 7:30 AM   in reply to SkipH123

Ryclark got there before me but I agree something sounds wrong.  The Microphone setting in Windows should have nothing to do with the output from the Zed.

If you haven't already done so, go to Edit/Preferences/'Audio Hardware.  You should be able to set this to an ASIO driver and select the output of the Zed 14 as you sound device.  You may also want to go to Audio Channel Mapping and tell Audition what track to record your L/R outputs to.

Finally, you have to adjust the controls on the Zed itself to decide what to output to the USB...probably just the main post fade L/R outputs unless you want something else, but A&H gives you several choices.

Hope this helps,

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points