Skip navigation

Feature Requests - Adobe Reader for Android

May 26, 2010 4:23 AM

Latest reply: Pat Wibbeler, Apr 13, 2012 9:19 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2011 8:17 AM   in reply to Lexieinwa

This is not an adobe issue, The university uses a third party protection software called protectedpdf by Vitrium. Itrium says that they are working on updating the software for Android and Ipad, but there is no release date for a fix or patch. I am guessing that it will be included in a new software release, which would mean the University would have to buy the new release and redo all their textbooks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 10:56 AM   in reply to gpbell

Reader for Android needs to support hyperlinks from one PDF to another.  There isn't a mobile PDF reader available that can do this, though it seems like a pretty basic feature. 

The PDF documents I create are a collection of PDF files that have links from one document to another (example, a Table of Contents document has a list of documents included in the project, each entry in the list is hyperlinked to another PDF).  Customers are starting to ask about mobile support for our products, but right now all they can do is read the individual PDFs. 

In Android, the only links that work in the document are links to html or links to pages within the same document.  I need links that work from one PDF to another, and preferably, links that go to Named Destinations in oher documents.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 11:10 AM   in reply to ebriefsdotcom

Interestingly, Good Reader on the iPad 2 follows

links from one PDF to another. What's the problem

with Reader on the Android? Is Adobe just ceding

this whole tablet field to everybody else....?

Bryan

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 9:29 AM   in reply to ebriefsdotcom

I'm having the same issues.  Working hyperlinks from one PDF to another is essential.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 7:58 AM   in reply to gpbell

Hi there,

Adobe Reader for Android is realy nice. I just use it for a few days but am still missing some features known from the desktop version Adobe Reader X.

As a student I get a lot of PDF files. With Adobe Reader X the text highlighting and commenting function was great. I've waited so long for this feature.

So it might be really nice and helpful to have them in the Android (or maybe a special tablet) version.

Bookmarks support is also a often needed feature as others said before.

So you may have a focus on following features to come:

• text highlighting
    • comments
    • bookmarks support
    • remember last opened page

Thank you for your support.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 10:11 AM   in reply to estelkay

Hey,

First of all, thanks for your feedback.

We know the features requested by you are very important for a user and, thus, are too much in demand. These are already included in the feature-set of our upcoming releases.So, stay tuned and keep posting your wonderful ideas.

Thanks,

prakhar

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 10:49 AM   in reply to i_love_pdf

We are under a lot of pressure to port our security system

with live camera links over to the iPad 2. We hope a full-featured

Reader will be available on that platform soon as well....

Bryan

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 1:21 PM   in reply to zaria2

Yep, just keep your fingers crossed .

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2011 11:38 AM   in reply to gpbell

Adobe reader on my droid won't open a file created by Adobe 8, would be great if it was updated so that it could.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2011 10:04 AM   in reply to gpbell

Adobe Reader for Andrioid is the fastest and user friendly PDF reader I found, however, there is one feature is missing on version 9.0.2, it is the "go to page" or "jump page".  I have a cruz reader with Android 2.0 for less than a year, and it cannot upgrade to Android 2.1 or higher, that means I cannot install Adobe Reader for Android 10.x, which has the feature I need.  Most of PDF documents I read are over 600 pages, without "go to page" function, I cannot use Adobe Reader, I wish Adobe can come out version 9.0.x that has "go to page" functions, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 1:16 AM   in reply to nike0777

Hi,

I am sorry but it is not the case. We do support files created through Adobe Acrobat 8.

It seems to be an issue specific to this  document.

1. If possible, can you please share your concerned file with us?

2. Also, can you please tell what happens when you try to open this document? Do you observe any CRASH? Do you get any ERROR DIALOG?

Thanks and regards,

prakhar

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 2:57 AM   in reply to i_love_pdf

Can you give us any insight into the plans for R10 on the iPad2?

We have a trade show in Dallas in Nov. and would dearly love to feature

our system running on R10 by then. The Good Reader we are using as

a demo now doesn't have the features we need.

Thanks....

Bryan

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 3:52 AM   in reply to zaria2

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for posting your request.

We hope to have ur request resolved before your event happens in November. You just need to stay tuned.

By the way, what features are you actually looking for?

Regards,

prakhar

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 4:50 AM   in reply to i_love_pdf

There are two features that we need badly.

1. The ability to open a PDF-to-PDF link       

in a new window. GR opens everything in

one existing window, not good for us.

2. We have links to live surveillance camera

feeds from icons embedded in our security

site and floor plans. These work really well

on an existing Win7 platform. To get them to

work well on an iPad2 with GR is going to be

a development project.

We have already started the development project for (2),

but there are some inherent problems with it in GR

that make it worse than we first thought.

Thanks....

Bryan

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 6:33 AM   in reply to i_love_pdf

I have found that a lot of basic functionality works in Android but not on

Pad, so the restraints are oftentimes more of an iPad issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2011 4:12 PM   in reply to i_love_pdf

I've got the same problem that nike07777. When I try to open a pdf form file I can't do it and the program suggests me to update my reader version (I've got the 10.0.2)

Plesae I need a solution for this problem because I need to open these files for my job.

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 12:57 PM   in reply to gpbell

Many users are now using the LiveScribe pen and Adobe Reader X in combination. This works fine on the computer, and Adobe reader X on a computer can show the recorded dynamics of a LiveScribe recording that has been placed on an android telephone  (when the telephone is mounted as an extra disk). But when the Adobe reader X on the Android telephone shows the recorded PDF, then the same message as above - Update Adobe reader - is written on a very undynamic android display and only a flat image pdf is displayed.

Therefore a feature request is to make the android reader X be able to read the LiveScribe files on the android and show the dynamic recordings, just like it does on the computer version of reader X.

Otherwise, generally, Reader X is really exciting and useful for lots of our productions where we want to embed different types of data directly in the PDF document. Keep it UP Adobe!

tks.

bill

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 1:59 AM   in reply to gpbell

"

by Varun Khaneja  on May 30, 2010 6:26 AM

Hi there,

Thank you very much for an invaluable feedback. We appreciate it a lot and are glad you liked it.

Based on your feedback, and the feedback we hear from other users, we'll try to include some/all of the features from the list you've posted in our next feature-set update.

"

I love this kind of 'invaluable' blabla.

16 months have passed and nothing has been done.

!!! BOOKMARKS !!!

that can't be so difficult to program.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 6:27 AM   in reply to aaaaire

Are you still on target for an R10 (maybe R11?) release in the Oct/Nov

timeframe?

Note: it’s real interesting writing an app for iOS which has

practically no notion of a file system, certainly no one that

reveals itself to the user….

Bryan

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 10:27 AM   in reply to i_love_pdf

Please and Please, 

"Goto page" for Reader run on Android 2.0.

--An Adobe Reader user

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 5:08 AM   in reply to aaaaire

Just looking at your Touch Apps Family announcement on your Website.

Looks like a bold and innovative approach headed in the right direction

for both Android and iOS platforms.

CONGRATULATIONS!

But, unless I’m missing something, I don’t see any mention of Acrobat

or even Reader. What’s up with that….?

Bryan

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 10:17 AM   in reply to gpbell

Two requests:

1) View in Folders, currently all PDF documents are displayed flat. I have saved ~100 PDFs on my tablet and have to scroll through them all.

2) Separate default views for Portrait and Landscape. I think this was active in a previous version and went away. I like to page through by flipping at full page in portrait and then switch to landscape to read. Currently, if I select Auto it is always zoomed or Single Page and it becomes illegible when flipped to landscape.

Thank you,

Homer

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 12:31 PM   in reply to HomerJSa

Without Astro File Mgr on the Droid you are lost….

Bryan

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 12:55 PM   in reply to zaria2

@Bryan:

Are you saying that the folder functionality in Adobe Reader requires a particular, non-default, file manager be installed?

Homer

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 1:04 PM   in reply to HomerJSa

I’m saying on mobile devices like iPad and Android there is no concept of a file system. The only file management you have is within Reader itself or using some app like Astro. There is no equivalent to Windows Explorer supplied with the mobile devices. Managing and viewing files is a function of the app, not the OS….

Bryan

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 1:06 PM   in reply to zaria2

Interesting... FYI, QuickPDF within QuickOffice allows browsing the non-existant file/folder structure, an app yes, but it has the feature which is lacking, IMHO, from Adobe Reader.

Homer

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 1:13 AM   in reply to easy2go2go

I would like to add additional feature request. I think it is easy to implement since you already have some background. Why do not append additional item to popup menu with "Copy" action to invoke installed dictionary to translate selected word, for example how it was done in FBReader (see Dictionary integration)

Thanks,

Victor

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 8:58 PM   in reply to gpbell

Adobe Reader is a nice enough piece of software. It allows you to view PDF files with ease, even going as far as to support the all-important “pinch-zoom” command that everyone is going so potty over these days.

Skipping between pages is also easy with flick gestures and the app supports a neat feature called “reflow” which formats certain PDF files so they look better on a mobile phone screen.

However, it’s there that the positive aspects cease. Adobe Reader is seriously lacking in other features and feels like a very stripped-down edition of the real thing. Not that there’s anything especially wrong with this – after all, sometimes all you want is to be able to quickly view PDFs on your portable device – but there are other apps available which perform this task just as well.

Even basic functions – such as searching for text within a document – are missing. When you’re browsing a large PDF this is a must, although it may be something of a moot point as Adobe readily admits that this mobile edition of Reader might struggle with some weighty files.

Regards

Mobile Price Mania

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to Mobile Price Mania

Mobile Price Mania,

Adobe Reader does support lots of other features including “Search” . Other features such as “Navigation through bookmarks” , Forms Fill in” , “Adding annotations and ink signatures.”  , etc. are also supported. Can you confirm which version of Adobe Reader are you trying , seems like you are using pretty old version. Can you try latest version , 10.2.0 and let us know if you don’t see option to search

-vaibhav

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to Vaibhav Padlikar

I just downloaded and tried 10.2.0 and certainly the I/F looks better and crisper, esp. with the easy to get to tools on the menu bar.

But still the major problem we have with it and the thing that keeps us from being able to use it is the simple fact that if you click on an embedded link in a PDF file that should open a target PDF in the same folder nothing happens. Interestingly, the links now are highlighted in blue, signifying the system recognizes a link is there, but the link doesn’t work.

How hard could it be to fix this….?

Bryan

BTW, you’ve got the same problem on the iPad.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to zaria2

Bryan,

We've very intentionally limited the scope of links to inside the document and to the web. We're moving quickly and trying to build features in the product that impact a high number of users. Frankly, internal links and links to web pages impact far more PDF documents than document to document links so we implemented the pieces of the feature with the broadest impact first and got them into people's hands as early as possible. The beauty of PDF is that it is such a broad format with many applications and uses. The hard part as a developer of a viewing application is that this means that every one of our users has something they think is very simple and critical to them =). We just don't have the capability of getting to all of them at once.

Thanks for your feedback.

Pat

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers