Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fireworks CS5 wont start up in lion (error in preferences folder)

Aug 31, 2011 6:38 AM

Ok, after 10 days with out FW CS5 on my new Lion installment. I finally cracked some kind of bug where FW would freeze just after loading and the last text in the CS5 logo was tabs and then the processor would go up to around 81% and just freeze.

Apple and Adobe, both blame each other and none could give an answer, but to re-install everything, which i just had done. (Man the big dudes are lost sometimes!)

"My" problem turned, that I seemlessly had a corrupt file in my ~/Library/Preferences/

But i couldnt figure out which one it was.

I ran a Terminal plutil -s *.plist and no errors showed up.

The solution turned out to be:

Deleted the entire macromedia folder in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder and now its working.

macromedia is the name of the old FW creators before Adobe took over.

So i am guessing there is some kind of error, but who can tell. I cant, adobe cant and apple cant.

Well hope this helps somebody!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 1, 2011 5:56 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

You, my friend, are pure genius!

Thabk you - thank you - thank you

I cant tell you how long I have been struggling with this.

I owe you big time....

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2011 6:48 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

I would have never known to try this.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2011 8:43 PM   in reply to Sofus Comer

Thank you Sofus. My FW also hangs at launch and i get the beach ball. This fix nails it. You saved the day.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2011 5:03 AM   in reply to steven@mozaic

You don't have to delete the whole folder. Just the macromedia/#security one.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 8:43 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

I think I might have narrowed it down.

In the macromedia/#Security/FlashPlayerTrust folder a file is created by the flashfirebug extension when my Firefox browser is opened. The file flashfirebug.cfg is created.

Deleting this file fixes both the extension manager and fireworks launch problem.

Removing the extension from Firefox and deleting the cfg file solved my problem for good.

Hope this helps.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 3:51 PM   in reply to m2tno

Mike, I think you've put the final nail to the coffin on this bug. It's working for me -- FlashFireBug plugin for Firefox is the problem.

thanks a bunch for the tip.

Steven

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2011 10:02 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

Thank you so much for this post! I was having this exact same issue and was at the brink of reverting back to Snow Leopard. As soon as I deleted that Macromedia folder, boom... Fireworks opened for the first time in 4 months!

However, has anyone noticed that as soon as you open Fireworks, that Macromedia folder gets recreated?? At least it did for me.

So how to I make it stay gone? Not a huge deal, but sure is a pain to have to go and delete it every time I want to run the program.

Anyway, thank you again for this answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 8:43 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

I've tried everything mentioned above, but I'm still getting this:

"Fireworks can not run.  An internal error occurred."

It happens when the status message in the Fireworks startup panel reads "Initializing Textures."  I've searched my whole computer for "textures" hoping to be able to temporarily disable something, but I don't see anything like that in any Fireworks CS5 folders.

Any further suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 5:00 PM   in reply to billhdz

I Deleted the entire macromedia folder in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder and it was working for a while.

Now it stopped working again.

Strange...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 12:47 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

Per my experience, the problems is FlashFireBug plugin for Firefox to be exact. And it seems this plugin creates a file within the Macromedia folder. So you first just delete the Macromedia, kill your FlashFireBug plugin, then it should work without having to keep deleting the Macromedia folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 8:21 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

I ended up reinstalling Fireworks, and that fixed the problem I was having.  (For now at least... Fingers crossed.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

Thank YOU Thank YOU Sofus!

I had uninstalled and re-installed the whole CS5 but it didn't help.

You saved my life!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 11:00 PM   in reply to Sofus Comer

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

I try below step for  Fireworks CS6 and it was successful .

1) Locates the ~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia

2) Moves the Macromedia Folder to the Trash

3) Runs Adobe Fireworks CS 6

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 5:19 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

Fantastic! Thank you so much to both guys who found and pin pointed this issue!

This also works for CS6 too. Cant believe Adobe havn't already put something in place for this knowing that a 3rd party extension is causing one of its products to not even launch!

i salute you!!! Saved me hours and also major grief from not being able to open some layered PNGS.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

Hello All,

We're the authors of FlashFirebug. We thought this bug was ironed out quite some time ago. But perhaps not. If someone can answer the questions below, that would be quite helpful:

1. Does this problem still occur with FlashFirebug 4.54?

2. Does this problem happen with only MAC or also on Windows?

3. If problem does still occur with 4.54, can you search for ffbug.cfg in your home folder and paste the contents of the file here?

4. Delete the file ffbug.cfg, does the CS5 problem go away? (make sure you don't restart Firefox after deleting it, because it will recreate it).

Thanks! Looking forward to iron out this annoying bug. But need your help to do so

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to O-Minds

Thanks for helping with the issue and making FlashFireBug a better product. After this incident, I figured FlashFireBug itself was buggy so i stopped using it. I'm on a Mac. I don't if there has been any fix for FlashFireBug since then. If so, i may consider using it again.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points