Skip navigation
Bringster
Currently Being Moderated

AIR browser is slow to load AJAX app & kills CPU

Sep 1, 2011 8:10 AM

We have an AIR app, which mostly provides an AIR browser wrapper for our Web app.  The Web app consists of AJAX and embedded Flash.  The performance difference of the AIR browser versus a typical browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) is huge!  To compare Wep apps performance:

• Chrome
    • CPU: 30%
    • RAM: 250 MB
    • Page load: 2 seconds

• AIR Browser:  (Using latest version of AIR runtime) 
    • CPU: >90%
    • RAM: 120 MB   (Why so low?)
    • Page load: 5-10 secons

How can this be tuned?  Is there a reason that the AIR browser doesn't use as much RAM?  Is there a reason that it's using more CPU?  Are the two related?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 1, 2011 3:01 PM   in reply to Bringster

That is a big difference in performance.  I'm going to forward this along to our WebKit team but they'll probably need sample code or a test app that will help illustrate the problem.  Do you mind opening a new bug on this issue and either attaching the code/sample to the bug report or emailing it to me at ccampbel@adobe.com?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 2, 2011 11:29 AM   in reply to Bringster

Thank you, I received the email and will update our internal bug with the details.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 12, 2011 6:41 PM   in reply to Bringster

Pinged them again...

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 13, 2011 4:56 PM   in reply to Bringster

Anyone hear anything on this?  I've just completed months of development on an HTML application wrapped by Adobe Air 2.7 and it is so slow, I cannot continue trying to demo the software to my customer.

The amount of CPU used just to hover around in my app causes the machine to take a serious dump.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2011 11:58 AM   in reply to Bringster

Have same problem. Web browsing air app loads pages too slow. People don't use app because of it's too slow for them. Waiting fixes!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2011 2:17 PM   in reply to bradledford2

bradledford2 -

Just like you, an HTML/Javascript commercial Adobe AIR 3.0 app I'm currently developing for a client is SO SLOOWWW on both my Windows 7 (64 bit, 12G RAM) and Windows XP (32 bit, 4G RAM) machines, especially Mouseover, Mouseout and Click events on event-handled hyperlinks and buttons. Generally, the UI is so unresponsive it takes about a second or more for the above mouse events' handlers to fire.

I tried both event-handling (listener) and event delegation (which is supposed to be faster in managing a bigger number of elements) implementations for the target elements (about 400 links on a table grid), but it made very little difference on the performance on Windows 7 and XP.

I also tried packaging the app using the old 2.7.1 SDK, but it didn't make any difference.

BUT..

Lo and behold, the same app performs very well on my Mac OS X 10.6.8, and the Mouseover, Mouseout and Click event handlers fire instantly (whether it is via the event-handler or event-delegation implementation). So, no performance problem on the Mac!

Chris Campbell is pinging the right people at Adobe. I'm desperate to get advice from them on a temporarily solution to the problem while they try to fix it.

Oscar

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 12:27 PM   in reply to flipone01

@flipone,

Your issues sound identical to mine.  Since a large number of us developers have moved to the Mac, I suspect the scope of this problem isn't even as obvious as it should be.  I for one am in hot water if I cannot diagnose and resolve these Windows-specific issues in short order.

Off to find Adobe Air debugging tools a la Google Chrome's Inspect Element dev tools.

*sigh*

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 1:07 PM   in reply to bradledford2

@Bringster, @bradleford2 -

It looks like the Adobe AIR/Webkit Teams didn't do enough testing of AIR 3.0 on Windows for apps built with HTML/Javascript. I'm thinking now that they probably did a lot more testing for ActionScript-coded apps. The HTML/Javascript-based AIR app I'm building is not overly complex, and for it to perform miserably on Windows 7 and XP is a shame and truly embarrassing.

MS Windows still is the dominant OS on client machines, and for the Adobe AIR Team to overlook these performance issues in AIR 3.0 on Windows is totaly UNBELIEVABLE.

The confusing thing is, test-running my app in AIR from within Dreamweaver (in my Windows 7 dev machine) DOES NOT show the performance issues I see when I run it as an installed AIR app on the same Windows 7 machine (with 12G RAM !!!).

~Oscar

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 3:22 PM   in reply to flipone01

I'm now developing an application in Windows XP to test a theory about the use of jQuery in Adobe air...I am going to focus on a minimalistic example using jQuery vs onmouseover to see if there are issues using jQuery based on Air's implementation of WebKit...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2011 12:17 AM   in reply to bradledford2

I have not had much luck resolving this through any edits to my application.

Please, anyone following this thread, go to the bug reported here and add your vote: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2958614

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2011 5:11 AM   in reply to Bringster

Any news? This is HUGE issue for us.

We may have to change the system requirements of our AIR application and remove Windows compatibility off the list which would be a big loss.

Majority of our software´s target group uses windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2011 1:47 PM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

@Petteri_Paananen, I do share your concerns, and did have one of my worst fears realized yesterday when a potential client decided not to hire me when I disclosed that we may have to wait for Adobe AIR's next runtime release for performance issues on Windows to be resolved by Adobe.

When he asked when it will be, I couldn't give him any definitive answer. It really is so frustrating (an understatement).

Please go to the bugbase URL given in the previous post to enter your vote for this bug. I guess that's all we can do for now.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 6:46 AM   in reply to Bringster

Hint to everyone experiencing performance problems on Windows: try removing all inset box shadows.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Nov 21, 2011 12:06 PM   in reply to h€ikki

I'm working on seeing if I can get any additional information beyond what Jian has put into the bug report.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 5:03 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Thanks for the attention Chris.

This performance issue is such a downer. I hope the Webkit team can offer some temporary workarounds while we await a more permanent resolution, hopefully in the next runtime and/or SDK release, whichever is the source of the problem.

Please let us know immediately about any info related to this.

Oscar

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to flipone01

Hi guys, I see everyone stopped posting on this thread months ago, did you guys find any way to improve the smoothness on the jquery animations in windows? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 1, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to Andrésportillo

Andre,

I'd like to recommend you cast a vote for this bug:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2958614

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to Bringster

Hello,

I can't overstate how major this issue is for HTML/CC/JS based Air applications as a whole. How come that the Air Webkit implementation is so much slower than other Webkit implementations? Is it rendered through a Flash Player instance? If so, would it be possible in any way to override this? Has anyone found any hacks except not using inset box shadow that would possibly bring up the perceived performance of HTML/CSS/JS based content in Adobe AIR desktop app? Has anyone found a viable alternative to using Adobe AIR?

I am thankful for any answers and ofcourse hoping that Adobe will address this issue - the AIR platform is SO good in many other ways but the Webkit performance makes it a non-starter for many situations.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points