Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why problems outputing a PDF from Photoshop?

Sep 1, 2011 8:40 PM

I have Adobe Acrogat 9 Pro and Adobe Distiller 9 installed, so I've had great luck printing anything I wanted from its native format (like MS Word, Firefox, etc.) to PDF format. Recently I wanted to send someone a preview of a Photoshop document I've been working on really hard. When I chose the "Adobe PDF" option in the print dialog, things got real strange. Photoshop started telling me it could only do it if I ran the process in the "installer mode." Well, a box came on screeen saying that was going to take 45 minutes, so I cancelled it. Saved the PSD as a high-resolution JPEG instead and emailed it to the person I want to critique it. What's the reason for this? Is my PSD too complicated? Is it because I'm still on Photoshop 7?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 1, 2011 11:02 PM   in reply to HealthcareHelper
    Is it because I'm still on Photoshop 7?

I can’t remember for sure, but I think even in Photoshop 7 you should be able to simply save a pdf – preferably »as a copy« naturally not to cause mix-ups.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2011 11:26 PM   in reply to HealthcareHelper

Actually PS is just trying to save your behind and is being overly smart about it. If I remeber correctly, al lversions before CS4 would try and prevent you from "printing" to PDF and rather ask you to save a PDF directly. Something to do with retaining vector data and text plus other stuff that may provide a better quality at smaller resulting PDF sizes.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2011 9:47 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Photoshop doesn't prevent you from printing to PDF in any way.

And it sounds like the errors and such you got were from the OS printing system or distiller.

But yes, saving as PDF is a lot more reliable.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points