Skip navigation
Paulgul
Currently Being Moderated

Counterfeit software

Aug 5, 2011 3:43 AM

Just thought I'd write this as a warning to others, I've just bought LightroomV3 on DVD from Amazon UK marketplace, it was offered at about 20% less than list price. Received the package OK, rather than used an older version on the dvd I downloaded the latest and just type in the serial number. Everything seemed ok and I registered it ok. The problem came when I tried to install a 3rd party plug in to enable me to upload photos to Zenfolio. The plug in failed because I had an illegal serial number. I contacted Adobe and they confirmed it was counterfeit.

I have now sent the DVD to Adobe - at their request- and am now waiting for a refund from Amazon.

One thing that supprises me is that Adobe appear to have made it easy for criminals, there seems to be no check whether the serial number is valid, even the registration was ok. I wonder how many other users are using counterfeit software without realizing it, if it hadn't been for the plug-in I would have been none the wiser.

Paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2011 4:53 AM   in reply to Paulgul

I'm in the same position - Ordered from an Amazon vendor, installed OK but had issues registering. Adobe have confirmed it's counterfeit, so I've filed an A-Z claim with Amazon.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2011 4:58 AM   in reply to Paulgul

I suppose Amazon is getting like Ebay or Gumtree in terms of the scope and scale of private advertising. I've not heard anything yet, but I've no doubt I will get a refund.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2011 10:29 AM   in reply to Paulgul

I am of the opinion that purchasing through a reseller under Amazon is risky.When I purchased LR3 in Dec 2011 from US  it was sold direct by Amazon and not by its reseller and hence placed the order after verification from Adobe site that they are authorised ones.Can Paulgul state whether the software purchased was sold by Amazon itself or by its reseller.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2011 12:18 AM   in reply to Paulgul

Then name the reseler.   Others need to be warned.

I would have thought that Adobe would have wanted the reseller closed down anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2011 1:41 PM   in reply to Paulgul

I bought from "Skydraggon" - a new seller. Hopefully Amazon will shut them down.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)