Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

ePub output - bulleted lists mangled RH9

Aug 18, 2011 3:11 AM

I was pleasantly surprised when doing an investigation in to outputting to ePub format, that everything seemed to be transformed quite nicely, even my tables, which according to what I read don't get handled too well by the ePub output.

But (there's always a but!), as seems invevitable, bulleted lists don't work, with the bullet appearing in the text, as below.

epub_bullets.png

All lists in my project are affected. As this is a linked FrameMaker project which normally outputs to WebHelp, is there anything I can to to change this?

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2011 3:51 AM   in reply to Mark Southee

Hi,

My guess is that this is a css issue. Try the following:

1. Make sure that your bulleted lists are converted to HTML lists on import/generation.

2. Add the following line of code to your css files:

ul { list-style-position: outside; }

If this doesn't work, please post the HTML of one of those lists so I can take a look.

Greet,

Willam

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 4:25 AM   in reply to Mark Southee

Hi,

This is probably caused by a paragraph with a negative indent. The strange thing is that you should also experience the same problem with WebHelp.

Check your CSS file and search for p.FM_Bulleted. Does this style have a negative indent such as margin-left: -20px?

If you can't find the style, please post your css and I'll take a look.

Greet,

Willam

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 7:46 AM   in reply to Mark Southee

Hi Mark,

Can you share the project with me? I'd like to take a look and dig around a bit. You can contact met at contact [at] wvanweelden [dot] eu.

Greet,

Willam

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 7:56 AM   in reply to Mark Southee

Willam

Isn't the problem that the paragraph style is including definitions that should be in the list style?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 11:17 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

@Peter: Perhaps, but not with the posted definition. ePub uses XHTML 1.1 which is even stricter than the XHTML 1.0 that WebHelp uses. So the problem should also be present in WebHelp... But it certainly is worth checking out.

@Mark:

- I haven't seen the list-style: rh-list before. It certainly isn't a valid css rule. But that may be because this css is used as a conversion template. How does the css look in the style sheet that is actually assigned to the topic? Are you sure you aren't converting to a RoboHelp Multilevel list?

-  Generate your XML layout and open the faulty topic in your browser. How does it look then? Is the HTML the same as in WebHelp?

-  Too bad you can't share the project. Can you perhaps only share the css file?

Greet,

Willam

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 11:30 AM   in reply to Willam van Weelden

Mark

You should be able to create the same problem in a new project with just a couple of topics. Garbage content will do and enable Willam to help you.

This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some  sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is  some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text.  This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2011 6:29 AM   in reply to Mark Southee

The rh-list from one of your previous posts definitely a RoboHelp Mutilevel list. But the HTML you posted is a regular HTML list Are you 100% sure that you are converting the lists to a HTML list and not a RoboHelp Multilevel list?

Greet,

Willam

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2011 3:06 AM   in reply to Mark Southee

Ok, understood. I'll await your test project to see what's going wrong.

Greet,

Willam

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points