Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cut out a portion of pdf?

Engaged ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have Acrobat 8 Professional.

I'm currently scanning in some articles from a newspaper. I scan in the article and use "cut" to get a box around the article of interest. Unfortunately, there is usually a photo which is 4+ columns wide and an article which is 2+ columns wide, so I want an irregular shape for the pdf. If I were physically creating a book, I would use scissors to cut away stray columns, but I cannot find a way to create anything but a box in Acrobat. If I open the PDF in Photoshop, I can "cut" a stray column and remove it, but this does seem needlessly effort-ful.

Could you please tell me how to accomplish this task in Acrobat?

Thanks,

Theresa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

You can use the Redaction tool to mark areas you want to remove, and when you apply the redactions those areas will be white-out.

Be aware that this is not reversible, so you might want to save copies of your files before starting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Redaction tool to mark areas you want to remove, and when you apply the redactions those areas will be white-out.

Be aware that this is not reversible, so you might want to save copies of your files before starting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2011 Sep 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by redaction tool do u mean touchup object tools in adobe Prof. or is it something else to edit and remove??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2011 Sep 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. By Redaction tool I mean the Redaction tool: View - Toolbars -

Redaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the Redaction tool. It paints black across the area which is quite discomforting. Can I change it to white?

Also, I'd like to keep the upper and lower portions of a pdf page. Is there a way I can mark and delete a portion of one page?

Also, once I've trimmed the pages, I have two small ones. Is there any way I can paste these two pages together inside Acrobat?

Thanks (hugely) for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2011 Sep 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't really delete a portion of a PDF and have the rest close the space. You try using the object touchup tool to select an item and them move it. That is likely the best way to close the page up as you mention. You could then resize the page with the cropping tool, but the latter will not delete anything, only change how it is viewed. Remember to use the Save As when you finish. The save will keep the old stuff too. Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2011 Sep 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It paints black across the area which is quite discomforting. Can I change it to white?

Yes. Go to Redaction Properties and change the "Redacted Area Fill Color" setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines