Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Delete Layers in PDF

Dec 29, 2009 2:02 AM

The PDF was exported from Adobe InDesign with layer option enabled. We need to delete one of the layer appeared in the PDF. Kindly help me out to delete the layer in PDF.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2009 3:03 AM   in reply to John J David

Is this an InDesign question, or an Acrobat question?

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2009 5:15 AM   in reply to John J David

Open it in Acrobat and delete it there or just turn off the layer and create a new PDF without layers or with hidden layers disabled.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2009 5:20 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I don't make layered PDFs very often, but in the past it has been my expereince that it makes no difference whether a layer is visible when you export from ID, regardless of the settings. All layers have always showed up in the PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2009 5:55 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

You're right. I had forgotten that that all that did was have the layered turned off in the resulting PDF.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2009 6:56 AM   in reply to John J David

We already told you what to do...either delete the layer in Acrobat or create a new PDF.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2009 7:29 AM   in reply to John J David

In ID control or right click on the PDF graphic. Pull down to Object Layer options. Hide and show layers as needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 4:42 AM   in reply to John J David

Did you create a layered PDF?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 6:39 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob,

I don't see a way to delete a layer, either....

John,

This is a little ugly as a workaround, but you can go into the layer properties and turn off visibility, printing and export, then lock the layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 7:16 AM   in reply to John J David

JohnAD77 wrote:

On this particular occurrence i want to delete the "Figure" layer without affecting any content in PDF

I'm a little confused. If you delete the layer you affect the content.

In his previous post I believe Peter was referring to Acrobat and if so that's a good solution. If you control or right click on the layer in Acrobat, you have the option of changing the default state to "Off". Save the PDF. Now the layer is hidden and won't print, but since it's not deleted you haven't lost it forever.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 7:30 AM   in reply to John J David

If you're looking to delete the layer from the PDF, you'll need Enfocus Pitstop.  Just select the layer and delete.  Not an InDesign solution though. Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 7:32 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Brain cramp...you're right. You can however flatten the layers. By leaving the layer you don't want turned off, that content won't show up.

But like Rick, I'm very confused about all this. What is the exact purpose of this exercise?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 7:54 AM   in reply to 944Tmac

There is an InDesign solution.

Place the PDF. With Object Layer options hide the unwanted layer. Export a new PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 8:03 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

Read post 3...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 8:09 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

That will give you the same result as merging them in Acrobat.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 8:11 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

But that's referring to the InDesign layers, right?

I meant layer options for a placed PDF. Similar to layer control for placed PSD files. If you hide the PDF layer using Object Layer options it won't show up when you export.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 8:15 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

Ah, sorry, misunderstood. Seems like a waste of time to me, though, when you can effectively hide the layer from the user using properties.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 8:18 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

I should have said flatten the layer. If you do that with the undesired layer turned off, the PDF will be flattened and the content on the layer you don't want will be discarded.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 8:20 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Seconded!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2010 5:33 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I did that and it worked but the file size remained large. To completely remove the unwanted layers from the file, you then have to follow up with a Save As.  So in summary the steps are:  1. Hide all unwanted layers. 2. If getting rid of all layers, right-click a layer in the layers panel and choose Flatten Image. 3. File > Save as...  I'm guessing an alternate method is needed for getting rid of some layers and not others, perhaps involving Merge Layers.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Dec 25, 2010 1:36 PM   in reply to CharlesBelov

Okay, none of the above works for me.  The unwanted layers always reappear after flattening / merging / saving As, even when I hide them.

Here's what worked:

1) HIDE the layers you want to KEEP.  (The layers you want to delete remain visible).

2) Select Tools > Advanced Editing > Touch-up Text Tool.

3) Hit Ctrl-A to select all visible text objects.

4) Hit Delete.

5) Select Tools > Advanced Editing > Touch-up Object Tool.

6) Hit Ctrl-A to select all visible objects.

7) Hit Delete.

8) Now, you want to "merge away" the unwanted layers, which are now empty.  In the Layers pane, Click the "Options" pull-down and select "Merge Layers...".

9) Hold down CONTROL and click all the UNWANTED (empty) layers.

10) Click "Add".

11) In the right-hand pane (target layer), select the first layer that you want to KEEP.  This will basically merge that layer with all the empty ones, and in effect, delete the empty layers.

12) Hit OK, and you're done.  When you save the file, the layers you want to preserve are preserved, and the file size is smaller, reflecting the "deleted" layers.

This thread didn't help me even though the subject seems to be precisely what I needed, so I came up with this "brute force" method... Hopefully this helps someone else in the same predicament.  If there is a more efficient way of doing it, let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 9:49 AM   in reply to cj2161

I was able to hide the layers I didn't want, flatten the PDF layers, and have it discard the unwanted layers. FWIW, I had to do this because I had no access to source files, and our Heidelberg RIP software does not honor the "hide" and "never prints" layer options in Acrobat. In other words, we burned a lot of bad plates. I didn't know there were hidden layers at first, and the person burning the plates didn't see the extra content (.25 pt lines intended as a dieline) in the low-rez preview of the plates.

Adobe, just add a "Delete Layer" button already, eh? ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 11:29 AM   in reply to marcopperman

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 2:58 PM   in reply to John J David

I got this problem with Acrobat 9, did they fix it in 10? This is ridiculous!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 3:14 PM   in reply to danielhadinata

This is such a rarely requested feature that I doubt there has been any change in Acrobat X.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 8:08 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

We are using Acrobat X pro and there seems to be no ability to remove layers from a pdf and save-as with only selected layers. We are working with a large (45 mb) file with many many layers. Tunring the layers off is not an optimum solution. We want to be able to delete layers and save-as, in order to create a smaller file that is more managable. Adobe, you should add this function: delete layer!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 8:13 AM   in reply to PDG777

One workaround is to turn off the unwanted layers and then save-as a jpg....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2011 11:38 AM   in reply to cj2161

Thanks cj2161! You saved my day and my sanity!

I have a pdf with about 40 layers. It's a map that I'm altering/working on. It's very detailed and has all the features I need but unfortunately it also has a lot of features I don't need -- like foot paths, electrical lines, fences and whatnot, all on different layers. I was planning on exporting the pdf into Illustrator and simply delete the unwanted layers there. But that didn't work, the 40 layers always merged into one in the process and I couldn't find a way around the problem. The obvious solution was to the delete the layers in the pdf but strangely there is no delete function. And even if you render the unwanted layers invisible, turn them off (whatever that means) and tick "will not export if invisible" they still get exported. But your roundabout method of emptying unwanted layers and merging them with one of the wanted ones actually works. I don't think I'd have been able to solve this riddle on my own accord.

The original file was autocad but I´ve never worked with autocad. So the pdf was simply a means to get this map into Illustator which I know how to use (more or less). Again, thanks for your help!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2011 3:42 PM   in reply to Anna Thea

Anna Thea wrote:

The original file was autocad but I´ve never worked with autocad. So the pdf was simply a means to get this map into Illustator which I know how to use (more or less). Again, thanks for your help!

Illy can read at least some Autocad formats directly (DWG and DXF). Did you try that?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2011 4:12 PM   in reply to cj2161

A recent post bumped this up, I say thanks again to cj6121 as well, a very good method, albeit necessarily tortuous.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2011 7:32 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

No. The people who supplied me with the map did the conversion to pdf for me. They told me I wouldn't be able to open the autocad file in Illustrator and I just took their word for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2011 6:19 AM   in reply to Anna Thea

They might be right, but sometimes people can be more "helpful" than they should be when providing assets and end up costing more time.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2011 8:12 AM   in reply to Anna Thea

You're welcome, Anna!  Thanks for taking the time to thank me!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2011 5:57 AM   in reply to cj2161

Very disappointing that there is no button to delete a layer in Acrobat 10 Pro. Such an obvious feature, I would have thought.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to John J David

April 2012 and there still is no DELETE function/choice/feature for a layer.  I inadvertantly created one, and now cannot get it deleted without using CJ2161's method.  Utterly ridiculous for a $400.00 piece of software!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 6:10 PM   in reply to TaxManCA

You need to make a feature request for the Acrobat team. The link is in message #24. Be sure to provide a "use case" for why this feature is necessary.

It's not an InDesign issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:56 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

I am currently experiencing the exact same issue. What a frustrating problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 10:46 PM   in reply to TaxManCA

Yes! Yes! Yes! This is how I feel TaxMAnCA. And we have to submit a FEATURE request to correct their design flaw!

What is the difference between normal coffee and special coffee? When you order special coffee the cup is washed and coffee served!!

-Vijjy

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points