Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is column spanning available in CS4?

Sep 16, 2011 9:06 AM

Have a two-column article

in an INDesign CS4 publication.

Would like its headline to span both columns without having to separate the text.

I know VS5 has column spanning, but is there a script in CS4 that allows me to do this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2011 9:23 AM   in reply to Electroscribe1109

Possibly, though I'm not sure where to send you, other than scripting, to see if someone has one. One technique would be to insert a one-cell table at the top of the frame, then cut the headline and paste into the table.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 10:09 AM   in reply to Electroscribe1109

Dave Saunders developed a shareware script HeadStraddler to accomplish this, however I don't know if he ever updated the script for newer versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 10:25 AM   in reply to Electroscribe1109

For CS2, Dave Saunders wrote about how to straddle a head across 2 columns. Not sure if it works in CS4. But it involves selecting the text of the header you want to span the columns (not the paragraph return), and converting it to a one-celled table  [Table>Convert Text to Table], then dragging the right edge of the table over to the right edge of the right column, and then I think there was some adjustment to the text frame's first baseline offset setting.

hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 10:44 AM   in reply to Jeffrey_Smith

Here's a link: http://pdsassoc.com/PDSproducts/HeadStraddler/index.php

It will work with a little modification -- as is it does a version check and throws an error message that it only works in CS2, but that only because at the time it was written there were no later versions to try.  You can remove the test in a text editor and it should run fine in CS4.

The lines to remove or comment out are:

if (String(app.version).split(".")[0] != 4) {
         errorExit("This script is compatible only with InDesign CS2.");
    }

at the top of the script. I don't think Dave will mind, especially if you register the product and pay the fee.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points