Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe forums down for major upgrade this weekend

Sep 16, 2011 3:04 PM

The Adobe user-to-user forums will  be offline this weekend, starting at 6PM (Pacific time) tonight (Friday  night), 16September2011.

During the downtime, the forum software will be upgraded. We expect to be back online on Sunday afternoon.

There  will not be a lot of cosmetic or feature changes to the forums, but we  do expect to see better stability and performance. There are also a  number of bug fixes, including the rich text editor (random line  breaks). We will also be introducing new features in the near term  future (documents and polls). And we will have a number of new video  tutorials about using the forums.

Thanks for your patience during the scheduled downtime, and we look forward to seeing you in the updated forums.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2011 4:30 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thanks for the warning.  At least now I won't be swearing at anyone come down time.

I just reeeeeeeally hope you guy fix the performance here.  I'm just soooo tired of seeing "Waiting for forums.adobe.com..." in my browser's status.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 3:30 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

See you guys in November...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2011 7:38 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Well, so far it seems to be working, mostly.  Load times seem a bit snappier, but then I'm back early, so maybe that's just because so few people are here right now.

There does seem to be a little weirdness.  When I first click in from a forum header, I can see only 5 or 6 posts.  I have to actually click on a post and go back to the main page in order to see all the posts.  I hope that's just because I'm back early and things aren't quite ready yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2011 5:42 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

That worked for me.

It is also "per forum," so I see no option to set all the Premiere forums from one page - there is no "discussions" tab at the top level (since posts are not allowed at that level).

I really like seeing the thread when I'm posting, and the editing etc is snappy.

Still very slow to load pages, but I'm still using IE (v7). So I tried firefox; pages load quickly there. Aha.

But the "Set as default tab" was not set in Firefox, and I was not able to set it there. (V 3.6.14)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2011 7:58 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd,

This is a great improvement. Much better performance and the first indication of the benefits, that were not really clear on the testing server. There are still a few things missing, but I expect they will be added in the coming days.

Compliments to John and his team for realizing this so quickly.

One side note: Users have to check their notification settings in their profile, because these are reset with the update.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2011 8:22 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Yep, found those tabs just now.  Seems to work fine.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Sep 18, 2011 4:52 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Two observations.

The pop-up flyout that appears when the cursor is hovered over

a user's profile name would previously display only the threads

that were initiated by that user, now all of the user's recent activity

is displayed instead.

Adding the reply that the original poster has designated as the

'correct answer' to the original post is an interesting function,

but it can be detrimental for a user who may not read the subsequent

responses that provide more complete (and often better) information

regarding the problem in question.

A skimmer may only read the original post with the 'correct' response, and

not gain the benefit of of the nuance and corrections that usually follow.

Also, it is often the case that the OP does not recognize a response as

incomplete or not entirely incorrect, and designates the post as 'correct'

anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2011 4:48 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stan Jones wrote:

But the "Set as default tab" was not set in Firefox, and I was not able to set it there. (V 3.6.14)

Updated Mozilla to 6.0.2 (and made default browser). Setting default tab works fine.

Love that  speed opening pages!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2011 7:51 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

OK,  I've never turned on or wanted email notification.  When I look at my settings, they're still off.  So why the hell is my email box full of emails from Adobe Forums?!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 12:53 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thanks, Adobe!

Adobe pages used to be soooo slow on a  mac (safari and firefox) - now you are running! Also: finaly I can answer from iphone and even ipad (that didn´t work at all, I allways thought of it as Adobe´s revenge for Steve Job´s Childish-ness in regards of ignoring Flash). Good Job!

And, hey, a "like" button is something all facebook-Junkies are used to, so why not under a serious environment like this forum?!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere
    joe bloe premiere wrote:

...now all of the user's recent activity is displayed instead...

What is more, not just recent activities of a user, but threads recently updated by someone, in which a user ever participated...

Not sure if it's relevant approach to introduce participants briefly...

A skimmer may only read the original post with the 'correct' response, and not gain the benefit of the nuance and corrections that usually follow

Totally agree!

This feature may just discourage ones from exploring details or even mislead...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 8:44 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

I agree, this feature should go all together.

Half the time its not correct or the correct answer is at the bottom of the thread or loaded with irrelevant info.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 8:52 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Kind of glad that I missed the "roll out," but things are better, than on the test server, so it will take a bit more exploring to get my head around how things work on a synced server.

Seems to be better in most respects, and will just take time to learn the latest Jive in the real world.

Kudos to John C. and the entire Adobe team.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 9:24 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

>things are better

One thing that is WAY better is the editor does not insert random line breaks or other odd spacing

The forums DO have newest messages at the top, but they do NOT have unread messages in bold (and also no option to mark all messages as read)

I of course don't know if this is permanent or just an option that has not been set, but since I check each forum that has MY interest every day, I can easily look for messages that have dates since I was last reading (usually 12-15 hours for being away overnight to sleep)

It would be "nice" to have un-read messages in bold, with the option to set all messages to read status, but that is just a nice to have feature that is not as important, to me, as a working editor

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 10:12 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T Smith wrote:

The forums DO have newest messages at the top, but they do NOT have unread messages in bold (and also no option to mark all messages as read)

It should be that way in the "Discussions" tab, no?

jas

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Sep 19, 2011 3:46 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd

I am glad you agree about not embedding the OP's designation of the "correct"

answer out of context into the original post.  Good luck in getting it turned off.

What is your opinion of how the pop-up flyout that appears when the cursor is

hovered over a user's profile name now displays a mish-mash of not just recent

activities, but threads recently updated by someone, in which a user ever participated?

It seemed much more informative to be able to see the content that was

originated by that user in chronological order as it was before the update.

For example, moderators could tell at a glance if the poster has

made identical posts regarding the same issue in multiple forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 5:02 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I'm wondering why we need that Modify Date column, especially since that exact info is already available in the Last Post column.  Seems a waste of space.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)