Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe forums down for major upgrade this weekend

Sep 16, 2011 3:05 PM

The Adobe user-to-user forums will  be offline this weekend, starting at 6PM (Pacific time) tonight (Friday  night), 16September2011.

During the downtime, the forum software will be upgraded. We expect to be back online on Sunday afternoon.

There  will not be a lot of cosmetic or feature changes to the forums, but we  do expect to see better stability and performance. There are also a  number of bug fixes, including the rich text editor (random line  breaks). We will also be introducing new features in the near term  future (documents and polls). And we will have a number of new video  tutorials about using the forums.

Thanks for your patience during the scheduled downtime, and we look forward to seeing you in the updated forums.

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 18, 2011 3:39 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

We're back. Let us know if anything is broken or just... weird.

Well I've poked around it a bit, and it seems to work pretty much the same as it did before. It's a shame that some of the more basic things that are wrong haven't been fixed though.

Here's a typical example: With most forum software, if I post a link, the link insertion box lets you do just that - and nothing else. So that the link to this thread reads http://forums.adobe.com/thread/903480?tstart=0 which, quite frankly, is a bit of a mess. So to stop it being a mess, I have to use the HTML editor and edit it the hard way so that it looks like this thread, and reads like part of a sentence. Why couldn't we just have another box in the 'insert' window to show the visible text, like most other forum software does? And every link box starts with http://, which is another pain - almost everybody who posts links simply copies them from the url bar, so if you aren't careful, you end up with an invalid link anyway unless you delete one of these.

Weird? So the visual 'upgrades' seem to revolve around being able to start polls, which is presumably an Adobe-only option  and being able to 'like' posts - which looks to all the world as though it's been stolen from Facebook. It's fine for social networking, which is mainly comment-based, but I really can't see the point here, I'm afraid. Oh, and the Poll page is confusing - you appear to have the option to start a discussion from it, but it doesn't end up being posted there - which makes me think that this is going to confuse people.

Also, I don't really care about it, but one of the participant points counter displays is wrong too - if you look at the the two bars it shows for me, and then hover your mouse over my name, it suddenly jumps to three (which it always displayed correctly before, and still does in some places).

Also, is it now possible at all to set any forum to display all of its threads, but highlight just the ones that have altered since your last visit? It doesn't appear to be doing this any more, and that's a PITA. Although now I think I'll have to wait for another post from somebody to test that a bit more thoroughly.

I know that none of this is your fault - but the whole thing does look a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, I'm afraid...

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 18, 2011 4:59 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I just typed a well-considered reply agreeing with Steve.

Alas, when I hit "Add Reply" my post disappeared.  I got nag screens telling me I have unsaved changes--but those unsaved changes didn't re-appear.  When I hit "Reply" again to type this post, it offered me the option to work with my unsaved changes but, again, my previous typing didn't appear.

So, it seems that this software is a buggy and featureless as the previous.  The internet is awash with good forum software, including vBulletin, Invision Power Board and numerous others.  By re-inventing the wheel with this software, Adobe just makes themselves look foolish.

Deckchairs on the Titanic?  I can practically hear the band playing "Nearer My God to Thee".

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2011 6:56 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

One thing that I noticed is fixed are some (previously) horrendous image layout issues.  This page looks quite a bit better now.  Also, there were previous problems where changing fonts and italicizing/bolding/underlining/striking words wasn't working correctly (showed up when editing, but not in the final post).  I'll have to see if it works better now (edit: looks like this may be fixed).  

Also, it looks like the photo in my profile (Your Stuff -> Profile) is no longer there.  The avatar is still the same though.

Search seems to be improved.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2011 7:36 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

One of my major objections seems to have been made even worse.

On the tabs at the top, "Discussions" and "All Content" show me exactly the same thing.  "Overview" seems to show me the last 4 or 5 threads posted in.

So, if I want to go from the CS5.5 discussion to see if there are any questions about AA3.01 and before, I have to click the small "Audition" in the summary just below the header.  This, in turn gives me a nag screen saying I can't start topics there.  However, at that point, if I click "Overview" I then get a menu that offers me the 3.01 sub forum.

Once I've checked 3.01, I have to go through the same rigamarole to get back to the CS5.5 sub forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2011 8:35 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob Howes wrote:

On the tabs at the top, "Discussions" and "All Content" show me exactly the same thing.  "Overview" seems to show me the last 4 or 5 threads posted in.

Here, Discussions shows some highlighted unread threads, Overview does not. (or it may be the other way round - I don't dare try to go back and lose my place here.)

I now seem to have a really annoying "Drop In savings" yellow annoyance in the top right of the screen. Can this be permanently removed?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 18, 2011 9:35 AM   in reply to Wild_Duck

Wild_Duck wrote:

Bob Howes wrote:

Here, Discussions shows some highlighted unread threads, Overview does not. (or it may be the other way round - I don't dare try to go back and lose my place here.)

I get what Bob gets - and I haven't yet seen any highlighted unread threads. Actually the only one would have been this one before I read it, but it wasn't. From here, the speed the forum operates appears to be about the same, and the editor doesn't seem to have improved in any material way, I'm afraid - you still have to be really careful what you delete at the end of quoted text, or you end up in a situation where your reply gets integrated into it. At that point you end up trashing the lot and starting again.

As for fonts, etc - well, let's see: This is supposed to be Comic Sans 14pt. Is it? My goodness, it is! This is really going to help with the imparting of information, isn't it?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 18, 2011 10:04 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

The polls weren't supposed to be enabled. I just removed them from this forum.

Okay... but at the end of the Audition home page, polls are still listed as an option after discussions. Like Bob, I can't see what any meaningful distinction between content and discussions is, or how having private discussions could in any way help with the dissemination of useful information that others could subsequently refer to... and on top of that, it appears that in the section called 'your stuff' I can still create a poll (you really can - I tried it) but hey - nobody but you can see it!

A really minor thing (that you can fix!) is that at the end of the line in the home page that goes:

Before asking a question on this forum, please look in the Audition Help document and, if that document doesn't answer your question, this forum's FAQ list

... the full stop at the end of the sentence has gotten widdowed, so that sometimes it ends up on the line below when it shouldn't.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 18, 2011 10:15 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

For example, the FAQ entries could be implemented as documents rather than as discussion threads. I'm not suggesting that we do that here; I'm just explaining why there is a distinction in the interface.

Interesting - I might test that one later. The only item in there that's currently different suddenly showed up with a 'correct answer' option (depsite being a thread that both Charles and I carefully left locked) so I put one in, just to see what happens.

But I really can't see a distinction between documents and discussions on the main forums that people post on being very useful - why has the distinction (that we've managed without for over a decade...) suddenly become important? I can see its use for FAQs, certainly - but surely everything else constitutes discussions?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 18, 2011 10:24 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I wrote:

Interesting - I might test that one later.

Only I can't - because there's no option to create documents available for the FAQs. Or anywhere else, come to that...

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 18, 2011 10:57 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

The documents functionality needs to be implemeted separately for each forum. Do you want me to turn it on for the FAQ forum?

That would probably be a good idea, yes - that way at least we could tell if it's going to be useful or not.

This is only the first day (and a Sunday at that) after an update. I wouldn't presume that what you see now is the way that things will and must stay.

If you give feedback about what seems suboptimal, we can converge on something better.

I do appreciate that, Todd - honestly. But in the same breath I have to say that in the past when we've fed back complaints, effectively nothing has happened. I know it's a pain, but what most of us are hoping that because you are an employee, you'll have somewhat more clout than we do!

Incidentally, another thing that the forum changes did was to reset all my email preferences - but I think I've fixed that now.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 18, 2011 1:15 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

I just turned documents on for the FAQ forum.

Good start - but apparently I need post access as well, which is currently greyed out. So creating a document is okay, but it stays obdurately put, and can't be moved to its intended destination.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 18, 2011 3:57 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Steve,

I (think that I) just gave you full permissions in the Audition FAQ forum. Let me know if it's not working.

I think it's working fine now - the FAQ forum turns up in my list of where to send documents, and my test one seems to have got there okay.

Everybody else can ignore this for a while - or out of curiosity I suppose you could observe that Discussions + Documents does = All Content... but really, I have to find out whether there are any advantages to doing the FAQs that way. I think that it may look better outputting documents as PDFs if you want to print them out, and that may be worth it - I'll test a couple of suitable ones and see.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 18, 2011 4:04 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I wrote:

I think that it may look better outputting documents as PDFs if you want to print them out, and that may be worth it - I'll test a couple of suitable ones and see.

I just looked at one of the test documents formatted as a PDF, and this does indeed look quite promising.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 12:10 PM   in reply to Wild_Duck

Wild_Duck wrote:

I now seem to have a really annoying "Drop In savings" yellow annoyance in the top right of the screen. Can this be permanently removed?

I may owe Adobe an apology, although this virus-like program seems to only pop itself up on a handful of sites, one of which is this one.

Drop in Savings can be disabled in Firefox, and I believe in other browsers, by disabling an add-on called "Facetheme". To remove it completely, you have to find it and remove it as a program in Control Panel.

I have no idea where it came from - I don't do Facebook and I certainly wouldn't have knowingly installed it.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 20, 2011 3:24 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hmm... I should have mentioned this before, but the recent discussion list, as displayed in its present form, is inconsistent with the actual discussion lists.

It says it's recent discussions, but the proper discussions list it shows you whether there's anything on the thread that you haven't already read, and that's what gets highlighted. But on the 'Recent Discussions' list, everything is shown as highlighted. If you could get it to do this correctly, as per the 'proper' lists, then it would be useful. But as it is, I have to ignore it completely and just use the actual discussions list itself. To me, everything else is, unfortunately, redundant.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)