• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

forward & back - how to navigate between linked pdf-files?

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2011 Jul 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to get the buttons to navigate between linked pdf-files?

I often use pdf-files with links to other pdf-files (created in OpenOffice with pdf-export). After updating from version 9 to version 10 there seem to be no buttons to jump forward or back between the files. I tried all the 6 Buttons I could find (under: View - Page Navigation (I hope that these are the right terms, because I use the german version (Anzeige - Seitennavigation))).

WinXP SP3, Abobe Reader 10.1.0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2011 Jul 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader cannot create buttons or edit existing buttons.

Acrobat can.

With Acrobat, try the Go to Page View action.

This can be used to open another PDF file, navigate to the desired page and establish a desired page zoom.

Then set the link to complete the action.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2011 Jul 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but you got me wrong!

I don't want to create buttons with adboe reader. I have documents with links in it that lead to other documents. The documents are already linked!

With Adobe Reader 9 und 10 these links work. But in Adobe Reader 9 it was possible to go back to the documents you came from and then go forward again (with "Previous View"-button and "Next View"-button). With Adobe Reader 10 this doesn't work.

The feature is essentiel for thousand of users mostly pupils that work with these linked pdf-documents. Please help!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Adobe Reader 8.x and Acrobat 8.x had a Go To Previous Document / Next Document this went away in Adobe Reader / Acrobat 9 (and X).

That is, they are not a menu item and not available as an action to a Bookmark, Button, Link, etc.

As I recall, the change, back in Acrobat / Reader 9.x had to do with closing security "holes"....

Adobe Reader X Page Navigation (Adobe Reader 9.x's is similar) via the menu is:

arScrnCapture.png

I suspect the link created by open office is using "previous document" / "next document" - both of which are no longer available when using Adobe Reader / Acrobat.

Another approach, using open office, will be needed. Can open office, output PDF links that go to named distinations created in open office?

(Similar to Adobe FrameMaker or InDesign) Otherwise, a regular link to open the different file (pointing the link to a PDF rather than an open office file).

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, CtDave!

Your tip helped me to realize that I already tried the right actions.

But the scenario is still different to what you suspect:

For example: Document1.pdf (with named destination link to Document2.pdf)

When I click on the link in Document1.pdf, Document2.pdf opens - that's fine. But how do I get back to Document1.pdf now?

In Adobe Reader 9 it worked with "Previous View" in Adobe Reader X it is not possible to get back to Document1.pdf this way!

So the action of the "Previous View"-button must have changed. It no longer supports the previous view if the view is an other document.

Is there really no way to navigate between linked pdfs with Adobe-Reader-X-buttons? (There are no buttons in the documents and the links work fine (named destinations)).

P.S: Tabs would also be fine to solve the problem - but I guess that's not available, is it?

Thanks. I hope for another response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the light bulb over my head came on. 

I see what you mean.  Yes, in Adobe Reader / Acrobat 9 if you went from PDF#1 to PDF#2, and changed views (different pages, different page magnification, ...) the continued clicks on Previous View eventually brought you back to PDF#1.

Not so with Adobe Reader / Acrobat X. Actually, this makes sense. For security, the Previous Document / Next Document went away in release 9.x.

The ability, in 9.x, to use Previous View to move out to another file would seem to be a back door approach to Previous Document; so, removing the ability in Reader / Acrobat X would be consistent with the increase in the security awareness associated with release X.

Some possible alternatives -

--| Place topic associated PDFs into a Portfolio.

--|Create a PDF having Bookmarks to topic associated PDFs. Insert this PDF into the PDF file set. Delete the inserted page from each - the Bookmarks remain.

(I believe there may be third-party plug-ins that can do most/all of this "programmatically").

--| Provide a PDF "Table of Contents" with links to topic associated PDFs. Output each of these PDFs from the authoring envirionment such that a link is present on each PDF to the PDF "Table of Contents".

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2011 Jul 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, for some very large PDF document collections, removing the Previous View functionality between documents is the equivalent of disabling a web browser's ability to back navigate out of a series of websites using the back button.

I'm reporting this as a bug (conscious decision on Adobe's part not withstanding) in the hope that they come up with a replacement for this functionality that meets their security goals. https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2011 Sep 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, find this feature deletion intolerable.  It renders my latest, linked, multi-file, multi-media publication effectively useless.  I, too, have submitted a bug report.  I've suggested, as an interim fix, at least allowing users to "always trust" specific files to reenable the previous view to a source document (as is required for multi-media content).  I find this approach for my multi-media content (playing movies requires specifying trusted files) annoying to users but it at least permits using the rich content which is so easily produced. I feel that inter-document, linked navigation is one of the best features of the InDesign to PDF capability.   I'd hope that others make their opinions known with additional bug reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2011 Sep 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CtDave's work arounds to the now missing previous view to link source documents may be suitable for some applications; however, they fall short for some complex document and publication strategies.  I'm producing a 4 part series with each of the 4 "issues" containing about six PDF files (about 1.2 GB total per issue), all linked.  I'll provide backward links to previous issues (of course, forward links to unpublished content aren't possible) which precludes including table of contents or other such devices in already purchased issues (updating earlier issues is unacceptable).  The previous view capability makes navigation in this sequential release environment intuitive, efficient and painless.  I've based my entire navigation approach on this capability (oops!!!).  While I do provide a free, brief,  top level table of contents which is updated with each issue, it's concise and does provide user help when totally lost; however, there's no practical way to create a master table of contents complete enough to assure easy return to any one of hundreds of cross-issue links.  Bottom line . . . the previous view to other files permits creation of an effortless, elegant, expandable navigation scheme and this cabability is completely lost with the deletion of the original previous view functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2011 Sep 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Temporary fix: seeing no progress on this issue, I finally had to go with a 3rd party PDF viewer to recover the Previous View functionality.  I don't like saying that because this is their (Adobe's) forum, but I was driven by necessity.  I hope Adobe comes around on this so I can continue using their product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zip300 . . . Thanks for quick post.

My concern with another viewer is cross-hardware, operating system, movie and 3D (solid model) compatibility as well as future unanticipated consequences and the need for customers to install additional software.  Sure at least some of these are issues to you.  Still, as you say, this is all driven by necessity.

I've been searching for other work-arounds.  I realized that the "Open cross-document links in same window" document preference might provide a possibility.  I'd expect that the user would simply close a target file window after finishing with the link reference.  Actually, this has a small advantage of not requiring multiple previous view clicks if the target document views have changed.  The downside is a change in focus that might disorient the user and the possibility of forcing paging due to excess RAM usage (my largest file is about 500 MB)  for users with insufficient RAM. 

But . . .  I changed the default "Open cross-document . . . " to unchecked which would, I'd assume,  open target files in a new window.  It doesn't work on either my XP Reader 9 (not 9x) development system nor my Windows 7 Reader X test system.  It doesn't open a new window for target file links.  The behavior doesn't change.  Is this a bug?

I wonder if you've considered this option? Even if not, I'd be very interested if it works on your system.   Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continuing . . .  I found this thread on the forum:   http://forums.adobe.com/message/3594858#3594858  

Note the comment about pressing the Ctrl key while clicking a link to force opening a new window for a new linked file (reply 1 in the thread).  I've found that this generally works regardless of the "cross-document" preference.  I say: generally, because I think it failed once or twice but couldn't reproduce the failure when I tried.  Complicating things more, one time it seemed to open a new window without pressing the Ctrl key (though after using it in a file) . . . again, unable to reproduce this.  It appears that a new window isn't created if the link is within the current file (even with Ctrl key pressed) which is good.  The technique appears to be to always use the Ctrl key when clicking links . . . a very awkward requirement.  This wants a test matrix with some very careful testing to try to nail down behavior which I feel may be erratic.  Note that all comments refer to Windows 7 / Reader X.

The bad news . . .  after playing user for a few minutes I found windows stacking up (hard on RAM) and I quickly lost focus having to decide whether to close a window or check to see if the previous view button were active.  Several times I became confused in a document collection I know well . . . a situation that's never arisen with the old previous view functionality.  The old functionality makes file transitions transparent to the user . . . a feature which I think is mandatory. There may be hope that this technique could be an interim fix but it clearly degrades the user experience.  Just explaining how things behave to users would be embarrassing.  At this point, I can't imagine going to press with this approach, even if it were reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My previous comments about multi-window RAM usage were naive. On a 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 system,  Task Manager indicates about 120 MB RAM usage with 3 files (totalling about 650 MB file size) open in separate Reader windows.  There's no noticeable degradation in simultaneous play of two fairly large embedded Quick Time movies with these 3 files open.   Windows and Reader resource management appears to be up to the task.

Continuing to test the multi-window approach, my opinion  of user experience is still unchanged with previous view still the strong winner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To complicate matters further, I have discovered to my amazement that this "previous view" button works when navigating through multiple PDFs on some computers, but not on others. A few days ago my colleague and I got new computers with identical spec and both have Acrobat X. In her case the previous view works fine going back through multiple linked-in PDFs, but this function doesn't work on my computer. The button gets greyed out the moment a link from PDF A to PDF B is activated. Since then, a third colleague has upgraded to Acrobat X and she tried the previous view button as soon as Acrobat was activated (i.e. before any customization) and it worked! So why doesn't it work for me? Nor does Adobe Reader X! I'm supposed to check hundreds, if not thousands, of such links every quarter, it's part of my job. I still can't figure this one out and am finding it extremely annoying. If anyone has found a solution, please share it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zip300,

Same here.  As "luck" unfortunately had it, one of my PCs was still at Acrobat Pro X version 10.0.  I prepared a swathe of process documents, all linked through a mudmap and all the subprocesses linked and the bookmarks included "Previously Viewed Page".  This was a demo for a client as a way to present enterprise wide processes in a simple, easy to follow way for the whole company. 

All tested on my PC and worked fine.  Even, unfortunately, tested it on Acrobat Reader 9 and all worked fine.  Sent it to the client for a review.  Twenty minutes later I got a "it don't work" phone call.  After searching the internet and following your finding, I found that the Previous Page functionality works with two other PDF readers I have on my PC.  On my other PC, it does not work in Acrobat X Pro 10.1.1. 

It also works if you put all the pages into one file.  The downside is that the clicking on the text name of the bookmark does not always work -- sometimes it thinks you want to edit the text.  You have to click on the little bookmark icon to get consistent results.  Talk about a mess!

I see my older clients moving away from Acrobat because there are too many files in their systems to rework with the idiotic single file approach.  Or they will have to install Acrobat Reader 9.  Actually, that is not as silly as it sounds - X's interface was not a user friendly advance.  There is only one feature in Acrobat that I cannot live without, and I won't mention it here in case they decide to "improve" that one too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an incredible serious BUG, making AdobeReader completely useless in many big documentation systems, which relies on that customers can read PDF files, following links to see details in other PDF files and "back" again to continue reading the document.

I really hope Adobe very very very quickly will fix this bug. And at the same time ensure that this "back-to previous-place-in-previous-pdf" also works seemlessly when reading via web browsers (all within the same window, just like HTML works).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been told by Adobe support that this is not a bug, but a security feature.

Our company has, over many years, developed for our most important software application a PDF help system with hundreds of books and thousands of pages.  There are myriad links between and within the books.  In order to make navigation through this morass easier, we have provided our users a starting "Main Menu" with links to the books.  We also set it up so that only one PDF is open at any given time ("open in same window" option), otherwise a user could end up with hundreds of open PDF documents on their taskbar or desktop.  We also have our users take advantage of the "Previous View" mechanism to make it easier to navigate while keeping only one window open at a time.  (The browser "Back" button trick will not work with PDFs that have been closed).

However, Since version X of the Reader, the Previous View mechanism will not work with PDFs that have been closed.  That is, you can only get back to a previous view in another PDF if it is still open.  As mentioned above, this could leave our users with hundreds of open PDFs, and thus it is not an option for us.  But Adobe has ignored our pleas.

You must vote with your feet; that is all Adobe understands.  Adobe does not care about our needs and we have given up on them.  We are currently telling our users:

"If you use a non-Adobe PDF reader, you will be able to install it on a system alongside any version of Adobe Reader, including version 10. We have found that Tracker Software makes an excellent free product called PDF-XChange Viewer, which may be downloaded HERE. PDF-XChange has a smaller footprint, is faster, and has more features than Adobe Reader, including a 64-bit version for Windows XP/Vista/7.

To set up this program to optimally use our help system, go to Preferences, and under "General," specify that the Documents Layout be Single rather than Multiple. Then you will be able to use the Alt keys with the arrows, or the Previous/Next View buttons on the toolbar, with closed PDFs."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best,

Evan

Evan Rosen

evan@robix.com

Begin forwarded message:

Hi NorioNorio,

This helped me, maybe you can try it.

As far as Adobe I think they're between a rock and a hard place. There may be no way to fix the bug since it's not really a bug, it's something that they just did not foresee and there is a whole structure built on what turned out to be a sink hole. So I don't exactly blame them since the potential liability is enormous. However, if you find a way to "evade" their "blockade" well, they can argue any problem is your fault and they're not responsible. At least that's my best guess. I also don't get the sense that for in-house use it would be much of a problem. But if this solution works for you then I would be really sure to understand the actual security issue so you can to any preventive maintenance you might need. I'll be in the same boat except I'll have maybe 20 documents instead of 1000's.

And I suppose you can tell the world about this. But Adobe may eliminate it on the next release, since then they would "know" about it.

Anyway, let me know.

Best,

Evan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Norio,

Sorry, misunderstood your issue about closed PDF's. I wonder if there is an Adobe Reader API that would allow you to keep bread crumbs, and always keep one pdf back open. Or maybe an open-source reader as long as your not using some of the non-mainstream pdf features.

Best,

Evan

Evan Rosen

evan@robix.com

Begin forwarded message:

Hi NorioNorio,

This helped me, maybe you can try it.

As far as Adobe I think they're between a rock and a hard place. There may be no way to fix the bug since it's not really a bug, it's something that they just did not foresee and there is a whole structure built on what turned out to be a sink hole. So I don't exactly blame them since the potential liability is enormous. However, if you find a way to "evade" their "blockade" well, they can argue any problem is your fault and they're not responsible. At least that's my best guess. I also don't get the sense that for in-house use it would be much of a problem. But if this solution works for you then I would be really sure to understand the actual security issue so you can to any preventive maintenance you might need. I'll be in the same boat except I'll have maybe 20 documents instead of 1000's.

And I suppose you can tell the world about this. But Adobe may eliminate it on the next release, since then they would "know" about it.

Anyway, let me know.

Best,

Evan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Evan1138,

Thanks for the input.

I have a question: As far as I can tell, the last Reader 9.x version was 9.4.  Where did you find 9.5?

Using 9.4 or using a different PDF reader such as PDF-XChange is working for our users; the latter solution works well because the software can be installed separately and then they are not held hostage to Adobe's whims and don't have to struggle with turning off the automatic updates.  Also, as I noted, it's a better application, especially as they have a 64-bit version that works well.

I am in general getting tired of Adobe's arrogance and have started to test alternatives for all their software, e.g., GIMP for Photoshop, InkScape for Illustrator, etc.

Norio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Norio,

Well, I have 9.5.1 for Mac, so maybe they went a scosh further there.

I've tried Gimp in a PC, I remember it as little too techie for my taste so I still use PS. But I know what you mean. For example, I'm hoping Apple can get rid of a few of Jobs' annoying decisions about what Apple's customers actual should want . In case you don't know, in OS X windows can only be sized from the lower right corner, not from the other corners, not from the edges, so first you have to drag the whole window so that the upper left corner is where you'll want it to be (as if you friggin' knew this ahead of time!) and then drag the LR corner. AND the cursor doesn't even change to let you know where you're properly over the drag point, you have to look carefully. Tiring. Just plain stubborn arrogance. And don't get me started on the now 8-year-old lose-a-whole-mailbox "just because" bug in Mac mail -- Their solution: Don't mention the bug, just say it's good practice to archive the mail often. 8 years! And no alternatives I could find and trust.

As far as Adobe goes, on the plus side they did give use the portable document format, for free. And Flash, the only video format that has almost universally installed codecs, and that really, really works for streaming and pseudo-streaming, except when you need HTML5 for battery life. So the Adobe news is not all so bad.

Glad you found your solution. If I can't figure out how to have only one window open at a time when browsing .pdf's, I'll be back to bug you about XChange.

Best,

Evan

Evan Rosen

evan@robix.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CtDave,

I read your comments above and some possible solutions:

--| Place topic associated PDFs into a Portfolio.

--|Create a PDF having Bookmarks to topic associated PDFs. Insert this PDF into the PDF file set. Delete the inserted page from each - the Bookmarks remain.

(I believe there may be third-party plug-ins that can do most/all of this "programmatically").

--| Provide a PDF "Table of Contents" with links to topic associated PDFs. Output each of these PDFs from the authoring envirionment such that a link is present on each PDF to the PDF "Table of Contents".

I've created our enterprise install using Adobe Customization Wizard X.  I'm currently updating from Adobe Reader 10.0.1 to 10.2.1.  In 10.0.1 the navigation buttons worked fine.  But after creating the 10.2.1 install the functionality of the previous view and next view buttons is lost between different PDF files?  All our PDF files are located locally and in the same folder.  All your solutions above are in place.  I've gone through all the Preference settings and can't find anything to correct this issue.  I've compared the 2 different install and still nothing.

Is there something I'm missing?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a workaround but if you open the PDF file in a web browser you can gain the functionality back of the navigation buttons with the navigation buttons of the web browser. I understand this is not optimal but it does remove the annoyance of the "security patch"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Drew. The option you suggested works well when jumping from one file to another, but it doesn't when following internal links. And as our products contain a considerable amount of both internal (within the same PDF) and external (from one PDF to another) - and I don't always know which is which - this solution is not optimal, just as you say. What I did find out since my last post was the reason why my Acrobat would disable the back button, but my colleagues would not have this problem - I had upgraded my programme to whatever the latest release was (10.1.3?). So the obvious solution that leapt to the eye was to downgrade back to 10.0.0 and this is where it's going to stay until Adobe figures this problem out. The same goes for the Reader. I hope this helps other people who've been struggling with this security issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Summerbreeze727 wrote:

...the obvious solution that leapt to the eye was to downgrade back to 10.0.0...

Hi Summer, I've been working for several weeks on a student/teacher curriculum to accompany our products, intending to base it on pdf. Reading this topic has given me the heebbie-jeebies. I've done testing with 9.5, which was readily available at adobe.com, and previous/next seems to work. I'd rather go forward to 10.0.0 as you (kind of) suggest, but don't know where to get it. Can you link me, or all of us, in the right direction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines