Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AVI files - no video only sound problem

Mar 29, 2011 4:57 AM

Hi there!

I am experiencing some very strange and _very_ annoying issues with my Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 software - my .AVI files have no video.

I have recorded a lot of video for a music video remake on my camera: Toshiba Camileo X100 in HD (720p60frames).

I play them all fine in Windows Media Player and VLC Media Player and such, but when i import to premiere, i only get audio - NO video.

I have searched around the Internet for a solution - but found none - this is really getting on my nerve, as i have been looking forward to edit my video .

The solution which would be working, was to download Super (a converter program) and convert my AVI files to MP4, H.264/AVC with codec AAC LC, but this will take years, and i am also having some troubles finding the correct video quality as the original file - ergo, i don't want to loose any quality when converting. Converting all my files will take years - got around 10 GB - and i only see this as an emergency solution.

I bet there MUST be a fix for this, so my AVI files will work properly for Adobe Premiere CS5. I need help - please, help!

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I would just say that i have been working with AVI files before, for another project, but these where recorded with FRAPS on my computer.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2011 5:16 AM   in reply to Matjovi

AVI is just a wrapper. Lots of stuff can be inside, be only a few are editable with CS5. CS5 is great with formats from normal or pro oriented video cameras, but your camera is not among them. So you need to convert or use a consumer application like Magix. You should have thought about the conversion problem, because it will cost you quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 5:38 AM   in reply to Matjovi

There must be another solution!

There is; transcoding is a waste of time, space, and quality:

1. Download and install VLC.
    2. In the folder containing your AVI files, create a new text document called "avi2mp4.bat" (without the quote marks). Be sure it has the .BAT extension; you'll have to remove the .TXT extension that is added by default.
    3. Paste the following into the batch file and save it:
      @ECHO OFF
      for %%a in (*.avi) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc" -I dummy "%%a" --sout=#:file{dst="%%~na".mp4} vlc://quit

4. To run the batch, simply double-click it, or you can drag and drop AVI files onto it, and they will be rewrapped as MP4s with the same filename as the original. If you use the drag and drop approach, you can save this file anywhere on your hard drive, and any files dropped onto it will be converted and placed in the same folder as the original.

That's it. The MP4s will import correctly into Premiere, and you won't be doing any transcoding.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 7:19 AM   in reply to Matjovi
    ...saved me a lot of time - and money.

Well, hey... if you feel like sharing some of that...

Anyway, glad you're in business. Have fun...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2011 3:58 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Thanks for this, it just helped me out today. Big ups for that easy solution. Thanks a ton!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2011 4:35 PM   in reply to Matjovi

What about a codec? Cant a codec be usefull for Premiere CS5 to work with the AVI file?

Well, everything will depend on THE CODEC. With video, there are basically three levels:

1. Those used just for playback
    2. Those used to Encode
    3. Those that can be used by a particular NLE (Non Linear Editor, like PrPro) to actually edit the footage.

The individual CODEC will determine how many of those levels will work. Many will work at all three levels, but usually the biggest question is # 3. This will be predicated on the CODEC, and on the NLE. DivX and Xvid are common examples. Number 1 usually works flawlessly. Sometimes, # 2 will work too, though I have never been able to get any flavor of Premiere to Encode to Xvid, though DivX works fine. With those two, PrElements and PrPro usually will just not edit them properly. In those cases, a form of conversion, as Colin describes, or the use of a more forgiving NLE, as Harm recommends, is the course of action.

Just having the necessary CODEC, properly installed on the system, might only get you # 1, or perhaps also # 2. Number 3 is often a "gotcha," especially with a lot of delivery-only format/CODEC, like DivX, Xvid, et al.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 3:17 PM   in reply to Matjovi

Can anyone explain why this is happening all of a sudden ... my AVI files played just fine until recently, but now only sound.  Not all of them, just the ones I want (of course).  Could this be because I made them with CS4 on 32 bit and now use CS5 on 64 bit?  I never know if they are going to work unless I try to load them into a new project...or open up an older project.

The workaround seems difficult .. I'm not a techie.  What is a VLC and where do you get it...when I Googled it there were almost a million responses.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 6:21 PM   in reply to pwrshift

What CODEC is inside of the AVI files? It could be one of many.

Most likely cause would be that the necessary CODEC is no longer on the system, but it could be other reasons, depending on which CODEC you are talking about. MediaInfo can tell you, if you do not remember.

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 1:43 AM   in reply to Matjovi

Colin Brougham is God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It works perfect!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

I tried this solution and it sort of worked, but the resulting file has no audio track. The sound plays fine in a media player but doesn't show up in Premiere.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to LittleFranklin

What are the specs. of the Audio Stream(s) in your file?

Did you allow Conforming to complete 100%? This ARTICLE goes into more detail on what Conforming is.

Good luck, and please let us know more about your file.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

It shows as MPEG-1 Layer-3 CBR. I was trying Colin Brougham's solution because conforming wasn't working. I did a thread about it here. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/984759

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Hi Colin!

SInce you appear in many posts as a genious when it comes to adobe premire pro cs6, can you please help me out with this post? Pretty please:)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4530017#4530017

All my best!
    TIffanie

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Colin, I just need to say thank you.  You are indeed the man.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Tried the above came up with video file ending .pc - doesn't play.  think i did it all correct.   my whole system was working fine may have even finished a few videos with the "incompatible display issue" going don't remember but seems to take the avi. okay but the video monitor only shows a still from clip - now.  acting little like it's overwhelmed. ?  tried and failed updating drives from ATI and Asus. think incompat issue but just want to edit you know?  sage advice much appreciated.  running win 7 pre 9 asus N61jq

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to Robospy69

Hi Colin,

I tried your method and it created an mp4 file but it plays but with no sound or no audio. In PP it just shows a green screen with no audio and no video but it shows inthe properties that it has audio and video.  Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

please does this also work for .flv files I need a fast quality way of converting my .flv files to mp4s, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 8:43 PM   in reply to Chidinma02

Try this,  It's what I use.  (Version 5)

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 5:45 PM   in reply to Matjovi

For those of you who can't find a solution, here's what worked for me, go to Control Panel/Device Manager/ and disable your onboard Display adapter. (Mine was Intel HD Graphics 4600 - I was using this for a 3rd monitor).  Let the Nvidia or Radeon card do the work for you.  That's it, hours of frustration solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 7:26 AM   in reply to Jerwin

My Display Adapter is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460.   I'm afraid to disable it.  How can it do the work if it's disabled?

Strange but the only way I can view them is with Windows Movie Maker, but they won't open in Premiere CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 9:42 AM   in reply to pwrshift

If the NVIDIA 460 is your ONLY display adapter, then my solution may not work for you.  I have an onboard display adapter in addition to my GTX 560 that was interfering with the video being able to play.  My only recommendation is update your Nvidia driver.  Other than that, keep searching online for a solution.  It will come.  Good luck, and keep us posted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 2:24 PM   in reply to Jerwin

Hi Jerwin,

Thanks for the post. Yes, a lot of issues crop up with dual GPU systems where the less powerful one (like your Intel card) will have out of date drivers, etc. Best thing you can do is update that driver, but glad you found something else that works for you.

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 8:24 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Happy day!  I did an update on my NVIDIA 460 GeForce GTX 460 and it seems to have fixed much of the problem with old AVI files, but I don't know if it is a powerful card in today's world.  Seemed like too simple a solution...one I should have done long ago.  Hopefully I'll be able to use my old AVI clips now in PP now.  Thanks for all your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2014 10:57 AM   in reply to pwrshift

Hi all

I had this initial problem of sound only.
    I created AVI files using Premiire Pro 5 or 6 or whatever the release was was way back in 99/2000.  I exported and stored the AVI files as 'Master Copies'.  
    Today I dug them out and moved them onto my PC and they are only sound.  CS3 wont import. Media player  won tplay...   (on my old PC  VIsta Ultimat) .
    So used VLC as advised.  Couldnt get it to work,

I played the AVI file in VLS and the pure video clips between titles and transitions plays perfect.

But any transition or Title's scrolling etc... is unreadable , massively pixellated etc.  V Strange..

The VLS convert bat file mentioned at the start of this gives the error. below  :- ( see image attached... )

What is frustrating is that these AVI's were created with Adobe 5 or 6 .. They are from 2000/2001    i still have CS3 and use CS6 as current. Neither will import them.. just Audio. 

All I want is a MASTER COPY that will store for futre,  and play NOW on a SMart TV, via NAS/Media Svr in MP4 or whatever.

Any ideas ?

vlcerror1.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2014 11:12 AM   in reply to Quofiend

>created AVI files

Exactly what is inside those AVI files?

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

For PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2014 12:30 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Moved to W7 PC.  Running CS6, Divx etc..  Same status. CS6 wont read it. States "unsupported or damaged file"

VLS plays it but transitions and Titles are like this still ... Below is a still from a rolling title...

VLS-Image1.jpg

Installed Gspot.  Seems to indicate all codecs are available.

GSpot-1.jpg

Does that help anyone help me ? 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2014 3:21 AM   in reply to Quofiend

oh well... i guess its a damaed file.   Got another master on DV tape somewhere... now I just need to work out howto capture from DV Tape nowadays. Dig out the old Camcorder and some old firewire cable... think I've still got a firewire port on an old PC.   !!! Fun & Games.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2014 10:06 AM   in reply to Quofiend

Back in G-Spot, there are little "render" and "play" buttons, near the lower-left - both Video & Audio. Can G-Spot render, then play the file - go through button #1, the #2, etc., to render, and you then get to the player. Note: there is a window, should there be any error messages, in the render process. Make note of any of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2014 12:11 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Cheers Bill.  Nope.. unable to render. Audio is OK . Video gives.

.originalavi-2.jpg

This error was instant. 1st frame I assume.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 10:55 AM   in reply to Quofiend

That usually indicates a problem with the AVI file.

On the off-chance that G-Spot is missing something important, I would next run the file through another AV file utility, MediaInfo, and look in Tree View, to see if it is giving you the same CODEC info.

That CODEC is about as "plain-vanilla," as it gets, and should be one on any PC. Now, if one has a Mac, they might have to do a few other things, to make if available.

I would question things like file header corruption, or some other glitch.

Do you have any other DV-AVI files to check with, to see if this is more global, or is file-specific?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 10:57 AM   in reply to Quofiend

i guess its a damaged file.   Got another master on DV tape somewhere.

Unfortunately, it is starting to look like damage/corruption.

Did you locate another file to test?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2014 1:41 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill and all,

I've also concluded corruption. Not header though since it ONLY the transitions and Title sections that wont play.  
    However,  I now have all the master AVI files that I saved to a HDD long time back. About 10 per year for 1996 through 2002. 

Found a firewire cable and brought them all back online. Copied onto NAS.   (didnt have large enough NAS back in 2002).
    Only 3 files wont read and have this error. They just happen to be my son's first hours and days on the planet, and are sequential from 2000.

So kind of important :-)

BUT.... I've now found the AVI versions I backed up onto DV TAPE, got my old DV Camcorder out, found the cables, and used an old CS3 copy and re-captured the mixed down AVI from tape.  All 3 bad clips restored to AVI.  Playing again.
    Have now also converted all the clips to MP4.  

So issue resolved n my view.. and learnt a few things along the way..> THANKS ALL>

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points