• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What I don't like in upgraded Forum

Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Uncle Adobe,

I regret to inform you that some features in new Forum look upset minor amount of users.

Personally I have nothing against how a User's Stuff is displayed and am convinced that embedding 'Correct' answer into original post possesses promising future, but felt it my duty to report about a few complaints.

Although some of your team already interfered, trying to calm a crowd with a promise to turn 'embedding' feature off, the rest issue is not reconciled.

Hope we would be able to agree on some filters that would allow to sort User's Stuff according to

- threads started by a user (all ones, not just 'answered' or 'open' questions);

- time a user participated in (not just time of latest update by someone responded in a thread a user ever participated).

Yours faithfully,

Fuzzy Barsik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 to what Fuzz sez.

the pop-up flyout that appears when the cursor is hovered over a user's

profile name now displays a confusing mish-mash of not just recent activities,

but threads recently updated by someone, in which a user ever participated.

It seemed much more informative to be able to see the content that was

originated by that user in chronological order as it was before the update.

For example, moderators could tell at a glance if the poster has

made identical posts regarding the same issue in multiple forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe bloe premiere wrote:

+1 to what Fuzz sez.

the pop-up flyout that appears when the cursor is hovered over a user's

profile name now displays a confusing mish-mash of not just recent activities,

but threads recently updated by someone, in which a user ever participated.

I hadn't noticed that until you brought it up. For me it shows threads I last posted in around 2006.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Forums should revert to restricting the username pop-up

list of discussions to posts originated by that user.

It is displaying that old thread from 2006 in your pop-up because

you participated in that discussion at some point, and it has

been updated with a new post (on 9/18/11)... regardless of when

you made your last contribution.

It used to be an informative tool for determining a questioner's

experience level through viewing their previous posts.

Now, it is essentially worthless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest problem with the Forum upgrade still remains.

Embedding the reply that the original poster has designated as

the 'correct answer' to the original post can be detrimental for a user

who may not read the subsequent responses that provide more

complete (and often better) information regarding the question.

A skimmer may only read the original post with the 'correct' response

as designated by the OP, and reasonably assume it is an officially

Adobe endorsed solution, and not gain the benefit of the nuance

and corrections that will usually follow.

Also, it is often the case that the OP does not recognize a response

as incomplete or entirely incorrect, and designates the post as 'correct'

anyway.

-Ann Bens

"I agree, this feature should go all together.

Half the time its not correct or the correct answer is at

the bottom of the thread or loaded with irrelevant info."

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3924910#3924910

-Todd Kopriva

"I don't much like this feature of embedding the 'correct'

answer out of context, either.  I'll ask about turning it off."

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3924883#3924883

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There doesn't appear to be a way to modify this. I've submitted a feature request to Jive at https://community.jivesoftware.com/ideas/2445

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

Does that pertain to what is displayed

in the username pop-up as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe bloe, I hadn't met this new feature, and was completely appalled when I saw it. I think that this thread clearly shows why:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/903882?tstart=30

The original poster found that the suggestion in the first response worked, and so he marked it as Correct. As a result, it is now not only marked as Correct, but also prominently reproduced inside the opening post as the correct answer. However, that solution was not entirely correc and was later corrected. Also, some other ways of achieving the desired effect were also posted.

Pity that:

1. the original poster never came back to see all this, because he thought he already had his answer; and
  2. more likely than not, any newcomer with the the same question, on seeing this very prominent Correct Answer inside the opening message, will think that's the one and only correct answer and will read no further.

And I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by the number and quality of further contributions which will unfortunately be wasted on newcomers.

JC, you say that there appears to be no way to modify this. Was this a feature specifically asked by Adobe? If it wasn't, I would think that Adobe has the right to ask for this undesirable feature to be removed. (Not to mention the ghastly rating stars in the opening message of threads: why should just any anybody/nobody be granted the privilege of rating an opening message on unknown and unspecified criteria?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The prominent display of a marked "Correct" answer does have the potential for great confusion. The older "Correct Answer" icon was fine, and I would vote for it being implemented - if possible at this date.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators can fix improperly marked correct answers.

If you think something should be marked differently, you can suggest that to the moderator on your forum.

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think something should be marked differently, you can suggest that to the moderator on your forum.

Harbs

With all due respect, I don't think this a realistic solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Most MOD's, that I know, have enough trouble riding herd on Joe and me...

Also, having to edit such things would take quite a bit of time, and require some real deliberation on the parts of the MOD's. I'd like to keep their roles to helping most of the time, rather than housekeeping.

If nothing can be done to change things, then it's something that I could live with.

Just waiting to see a "You're too stupid to use this program, and should go to something basic," marked as the Correct Answer. That has happened several times in the past, even when others had furnished the correct, technical answers, so it's but a matter of time. At least we can all have a good laugh.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If nothing can be done to change things, then it's something that I could live with.

I'll be ok, too.  My eyes have already become conditioned to ignore it.

I do agree that the older "Correct Answer" icon was fine, and was

more effective to absorb and consider within the context of the thread.

It apparently is what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It apparently is what it is.

I'll just declare "Wine-thirty" early on days that it bothers me...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<blockquote><font size="1"><font color="800080">...I'll be ok, too...</font></font></blockquote>

Et tu, Brutus?..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave it a run though, eh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just waiting to see a "You're too stupid to use this program, and should go to something basic," marked as the Correct Answer. That has happened several times in the past...

Since the update, all of those illegitimate replies from the past that

were designated as correct are now embedded in the original post.

Someone with lots of time (and wine) on their hands should go

and find, collect and post those threads in the lounge just for

their entertainment value.

Or maybe the MODs are going through them now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I EVER find THAT much time, then I will do my best. Lot of funny reading in some of those. Both the Premiere and Photoshop forums could provide some interesting fodder. The wine, I have, it's all about the time.

OP's comment on the real, Correct Answer, "That sounds OK, but I want a second opinion."

Response: "Well, you are ugly, and your mother dresses you funny... " [Marked as a Helpful Answer.]

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Realistic or not, that's your only option using the new version (unless it's possible to change -- which I doubt).

In my experience, the OP usually does a decent job of marking correct answers (if they bother at all).

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs. wrote:

Realistic or not, that's your only option using the new version (unless it's possible to change -- which I doubt).

In my experience, the OP usually does a decent job of marking correct answers (if they bother at all).

Harbs

I find it a shame that the Adobe team has their hands tied to modify unwanted features.

The OP does many times in the case of seasoned participants. People asking "Why does my Abode not work?" are not qualified to judge and frequently err.

It was bad enough when we just had the Correct Answer icon. Prominently displaying the correct answer inside the opening message will be devastating. And I am not thinking of people like the persons participating in this discussion; we can learn to ignore the message and will suffer no damage. It's all the newcomers who will naively think that no further reading is necessary that worry me. And should worry Adobe and all of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Devastating? That sounds a bit strong to me.

I think that this is a relatively small issue in the big picture of things, but that's just me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs. wrote:

Devastating? That sounds a bit strong to me.

I think that this is a relatively small issue in the big picture of things, but that's just me...

If just a single newcomer is lead astray by a "correct answer" message embeded in the original post, for me that's "devastating" for that user. You can say that this sounds a bit strong, or minimize the issue as much as you like, but the crude fact is that newcomers are different from seasoned participants. And they should be Adobe's main concern. And ours. Long time survival of the forums depends on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, thank you for trying to save us from the ghastly Embedded Correct Answer ghost, which may haunt us for a long time, even with a successful feature request.

Having said so much about the subject in advance, I decided to let others bring it up, or not. I am pleased to see that many seem to agree, and that there is hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there ever a truly correct answer for most questions here? Does anybody really know what time its is? Does anybody really care?

As I was walking down the street one day . . .

Sorry.

What I want is those little red flags back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will gladly support you on the "little red flags," and their loss has been a sore point with me for some time now. Many around these parts are tired of me waving them, and some do not even know what I am talking about.

As to THE "Correct Answer," let's look at some typical questions in the PS Forum. "How do I create _____?" Well, and as with many Adobe programs, there might be a half-dozen ways to do that, and the choice will hinge on what one is starting with, what they need to end up with, and how they like to work.

For me, I care less whether they choose one of those as THE Correct Answer, but more that they find AN answer, that works for them. Now, that does not address the next person, with the same issue, who comes upon the thread (now that the Search seems to be fixed), some time later. Hopefully, they will read the whole thread, and not stop at the display of THE Correct Answer.

Not sure that every base can be covered.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines