Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Question about setup on Dell M6600

Sep 24, 2011 6:32 AM

Tags: #1080p #full #setup #hd #50p #hard #drive #cpu #ram

Hi!

Im thinking of buying the Dell M6600 and have som questions about the setup...

1. STORAGE

Im thinking of getting a 128 Gb SSD for OS and programs....

Then im thinking of getting 2 x 750 Gb sATA discs (7200) ....is it better to put those in RAID 0????

2. CPU

Intel Core I7-2820QM vs Intel Core I7-2920XM...is it worth the extra 1000$ for the 2920???

3. RAM

16GB 1333MHz DDR3 vs 16GB 1600MHz DDR3....what to choose?

I will be editing AVCHD 1080p 50p video clips (panasonic SD600)...will this mashine be overkill for the work?? My only request is to edit the footage natively without shutter in full HD resolution...

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Martin

Sweden

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2011 7:31 AM   in reply to majooon

1. No.

2. No.

3. 1333.

Dell can not be overclocked because of their crippled BIOS, so no sense in getting an unlocked CPU at the outrageous prices Dell charges, and thus the extravagant extra cost for 1600 memory can be saved as well. If you decide for Dell, go for the standard configuration. Anything changed or extra is a willing consent to let them steal you blind.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2011 8:56 AM   in reply to majooon

Not necessarily. Dell gives you good quality and good prices as long as you stick to their standard configurations. As soon as you deviate from their standard configurations, it is worth looking at alternatives, like Sager/Clevo/ADK and the like.

Example:

Dell charges on the M6600 over here today, all prices without VAT:

Add a second disk 750 GB + € 154, where they can be bought elsewhere for € 64 - € 70. Dell mark-up + 230%.

Add a second SSD 128 GB + € 432, where you can buy a 128 GB Crucial M4 for € 146. Dell mark-up + 296%.

Trade in the 750 GB standard boot disk for a 128 GB SSD for an extra € 165, where elsewhere you pay € 146 for the SSD and KEEP the 750 GB. Dell mark-up + 218%.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2011 1:46 PM   in reply to majooon

Not overclocking means the system will be slower than an overclocked system, but there is nothing to be done about that. But it does not impact GPU acceleration. The reason not to raid0 two disks is:

1. It doubles the risk of losing all data.

2. It is not faster than two separate disks if properly set up.

See: Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

For info about the impact of overclocking, laptops versus destops, hardware MPE, etc. see: Benchmark Results

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2011 1:56 PM   in reply to majooon

I just bought an M6600 on ebay from a dealer that sells Dell factory refurbished computers that still have the 3 year in home warrenty. I got the 2820QM processor, NVIDIA 3000m card and 16 gig of RAM for $1999. Seems like a great deal to me. Check them out on Ebay.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2011 7:33 PM   in reply to majooon

I too recently bought the Dell 6600 Workstation.  I ordered it with the 750 gb hard drive, quatros 3000 graphic card, 8 gb memory and of course the i7 chip.  I built it to run Adobe's CS5.5 Production Premium suite.  Now I a bit lost.  Where should I be storing all of the capture scratch?  To a seperate external hard drive?  Is there an portable hard drive that anyone would recommend?   Will that make the computer a lean mean editing machine?  Do I need more ram?    Please excuse my inexperience here I could really use someone that knows who to optimize my machine and not sure where to turn. 

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks a ton,

dsurfer  

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2011 8:49 PM   in reply to dsurfer3

8 gig of RAM is OK but if you can upgrade to 16 gig it will run quite a lot faster. And yes, you will need an external hard drive, preferably with an esata connection or USB 3. Check out Caldigit or G-Tech drives. I have both and they work great. If you travel with your system look at LaCie Rugged drives with USB 3 connection. They are small and have worked great for me too. Also, if you are new to this hardware and software you might check out the book "An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro". It will get you up and running with the right configuration and edit tips quickly.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 1:50 PM   in reply to rpestes

Thanks for the advice rpestes!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers