Skip navigation

Getting a greyscale value from the Eyedropper?

Sep 21, 2011 7:40 PM

Tags: #color #gray
  Latest reply: Rob Day, Oct 7, 2011 6:12 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 26, 2011 6:12 AM   in reply to Harbs.

I'm sure it's possible to get those values.

I can't find anything on the Sep Preview panel in the AS dictionary. Is there something there?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 26, 2011 6:19 AM   in reply to Rob Day

I'm talking C++.

Using scripting, I'm quite sure it's not possible...

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2011 6:26 AM   in reply to Harbs.

I did not mean why is it not possible for one of you guys or through scripting, I meant why was this functionality left out of the eydropper to begin with? I guess there must be some major difference between how seps preview and the eydropper work, and that there is no easy way to connect them (well, for one thing, seps preview shows cmyk values for everything -- but it DOES need to know the real numbers at any point in order to fuction, so that information must be accessible somehow).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2011 6:28 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

My guess?

The eyedropper functionality is proabably a throw-back from the very early versions.

Maybe it's time to revisit that...

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Sep 26, 2011 7:03 AM   in reply to Harbs.

I'm talking C++.

With the 3 native color spaces, the eyedropper accurately picks up the image's values which may or may not be the output values.

Sep Preview always shows the output values, which could be different if profiles conflict. So if the aim of the eyedropper is to pickup the image's native color then there is a difference. In the case of PDFs, Sep Preview is showing the grayscale's output value (CMYK 0|0|0|K) not the actual gray value. In the real world they are the same but in the CM world they are not. Given the complexity of PDF color, maybe reading native file color inside of a PDF isn't as easy to engineer as we are imagining?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Sep 26, 2011 7:28 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

If the Eyedropper picks up the sep. preview values for a CMYK PDF, then is it an inconsistency that it picks up the RGB values for a legitimately RGB image?

I think that's the engineering problem with PDF. I want the eydropper to pickup actual color value, which it does nicely for RGB, CMYK, or Lab images. Maybe those numbers aren't easily accessible with PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 4:54 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Just a quick note that I posted an improved version of my script in my blog post here:

http://in-tools.com/article/scripts-blog/convert-colors-to-grayscal-in -indesign/

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Oct 7, 2011 6:12 AM   in reply to Harbs.

In your blog you're implying the eyedropper can't pick up accurate color from placed images, but as long as the link is an image (tiff, psd, jpeg) and the color space is supported by ID (RGB, Lab, CMYK) the eyedropper does get accurate source values. PDFs can have multiple color spaces, and there's no ID grayscale space, so in those cases the eyedropper returns the RGB proxy values.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points