New Here ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS X 10.5.8

Safari 5.0.6

Flash Player 10.3.183.10

Flash Player10.3.183.10 will not work in Safari on Mac OS x 10.5.8

The instillation says that it is successful, however when using Safari I'm informed I do not have flash player installed. When I check the hard drive, flash player in no where to be found. I have tried all of the troubleshooting from the Adobe website, and I am still stumped. I was able to get the Flash Player to run in firefox 5.0, but not Safari.

Please Help!!!! I have searched the discussion boards for days now in my spare time and have not been able to find an answer.

I am not the most savvy person with computers, what am I missing here??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

The blank "Installed Plug-ins" page is concerning.  It sounds like you might have a plug-in installed that is causing Safari to fail to load plug-ins properly.  As a test, could you close Safari, then go to the /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder and move (not delete) all of the plugs out to the desktop with the exception of the Flash Player files?  Once done, start Safari and see if Flash content works (or the Installed Plug-in page shows data).  If it does, start moving plug-ins back one at a ti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Could you verify that plug-ins are enabled on the security tab in Safari's preferences dialog?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for the help!

Yes I have. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the flash player. I am only able to download it from a direct link as well, when trying to download from the web site my browser wont respond.

I have no security on my computer that would need to be disabled and I double checked the system requirements. Still not sure what is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open a Finder window, go to the root of your hard drive and then go into the Library/Internet Plug-ins folder.  Do you see a file named Flash Player.plugin (23.9mb) and another named flashplayer.xpt (856 bytes)?  I'm assuming they are there since Firefox works for you and it's just Safari that does not.

Next, go to Safari's Help -> Installed Plug-Ins menu.  In the new window that appears, do you have an entry for Shockwave Flash?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing to try...  Locate Safari in your Applications folder.  Right click on it and select "Get Info".  Is the "Open using Rosetta" checkbox checked?  If so, uncheck it and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my Library/Internet Plug-ins folder I have a file named Flash Player.plugin (it's 22.8 MB however, not 23.9mb) and another named flashplayer.xpt (it's 4 KB however, not856 bytes).

I am unable to open the Plug-Ins menu (the browser pops up but wont load)...is there another way to check for Shockwave Flash?? When I do a search for "Shockwave" on my hard drive I do find a plug-in named "DirectorShockwave.plugin" (76 KB)

Also...The "Open using Rosetta" checkbox was already unchecked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blank "Installed Plug-ins" page is concerning.  It sounds like you might have a plug-in installed that is causing Safari to fail to load plug-ins properly.  As a test, could you close Safari, then go to the /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder and move (not delete) all of the plugs out to the desktop with the exception of the Flash Player files?  Once done, start Safari and see if Flash content works (or the Installed Plug-in page shows data).  If it does, start moving plug-ins back one at a time, doing a quick test after each one until you find the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sucess!!!! The problem must be with one of the other plug-ins, I will have to test them.

Thank You soooo much for all of your help. What would I do without people like you! You deserve a beer-a 12 pack really!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  Glad you got it to work.  Hopefully the problematic plug-in will be easy to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

okay i'm having the exact same problem with all the same info as wonderwoman but i could locate my installed plugs-ins menu and i do have an entry for shockwave flash.. what do i do from here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines