Currently the hunspell plugin does not view U+200B as a real space that separates words for spelling purposes - this makes it impossible to correctly write languages such as Khmer which have no spaces between words for use with a hunspell dictionary. OpenOffice correctly checks Khmer spelling and allows the zero width space to be used to separate words. Please change the InDesign hunspell plugin to allow for U+200B to be used as a word separator.
I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.
The Society for Better Books in Cambodia
You are certainly having quite a time with this project. You might think from the title of this forum that it is a channel for getting a feature request in to Adobe, but ti's actually just another user forum where we discuss the merits of possible feature requests, and the only official involvement from an Adobe employee would be if they happen to wander through and take an interest.
I think, though, that this is really a bug, rather than a feature request -- seems to me this should work already, so I'd suggest you file it as such. You can use Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form from which you will most likely not get any feedback (which does not mean it is being ignored), or John has posted another link, which I cannot seem to find, so maybe he'll see this and post it again, which may give you more opportunity to communicate with an Adobe rep.
What OS are you on? Do you have access to a system programmer (that would be a human)? It is probably feasible to shim a substitution into the hunspell system between InDesign's checking and the unspell library/API, though it may not be pretty.
You can use Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form from which you will most likely not get any feedback (which does not mean it is being ignored), or John has posted another link, which I cannot seem to find, so maybe he'll see this and post it again, which may give you more opportunity to communicate with an Adobe rep.
I think Peter refers to my general advice to open a Support case at http://adobe.com/go/supportportal. In my experience that is more likely to lead to useful resolutions.
Right now I am on Mac, normally I use a Pc with Windows 7.
The author of Mindspell is looking into it, I had ordered it for cs3 and it didn't work and they were unable to get it to work, so when I got vs 5.5 I they said they would try to look into it again. But I don't know anyone personally with the expertise to look into the API.
Part of my reason for trying to fix it is so that Khmer will work out of the box with InDesign - so that Cambodia has more options for creating and publishing books with the highest quality possible.
Thanks for the link, I will see if that can help.
I think you have a hard problem in front of you. If your goal is to fix Khmer out of the box with InDesign, I think you will definitely need to work with Adobe on this. It may be a difficult process, so I wish you good luck and much patience.
Thanks Peter - yeah, I'm just trying to explore the options. I am here in States, but in a month or so head back to Cambodia, so I am trying to work out a solution while I am here for our book publishing in Cambodia. Someone donated InDesign CS 5.5 because it is really the best out there, so totally exciting, but just trying to see if we can even make it better for publishing in the Khmer language.
Thanks again for your help,
I might have a very dirty solution for you.
We could write a plugin that would convert deleted spaces to visible spaces for spelling purposes. When spelling is complete you could hide the spaces. You would have to have InDesigns track changes switched on when deleting the spaces.
Thought about this a bit more. We could have an option that goes through the whole document deleting your special space character and inserts a normal space, when spelling is complete we revers the process.
Not really sure if this is practical for you but it might help.
Thought about this a bit more, again.
You could probably just turn track changes on, replace all of your special spaces with ordinary space. Turn track changes off, do your spelling and then reject all the track changes, leaving you with a clean spelt document.
Well, a few years later and still no luck. Got pretty far with Adobe tech support, but then they denied the request as they said the problem was with a third-party plugin (I don't agree since I believe they modded Hunspell since Hunspell normally views the zero-width space as a word seperator, and in InDesign it is ignored, so they messed with something).
So, I was thinking of exploring your idea of shimming, "a substitution into the hunspell system between InDesign's checking and the unspell library/API"
Since I am not a programer I am not exactly sure what would be needed, but I was wondering if you would be willing to write up a short description of what you think might work so I can ask around and see if anyone would be willing/able to try and get a solution for Khmer.