Skip navigation
fallenturtle
Currently Being Moderated

What color space does CS use when proofing/emulating CMYK (or) buying a monitor for print design

Sep 27, 2011 12:26 PM

My company is current in the process of buying new monitors for our computers. Our goal is more accurate color in relationship to printing. I already know we're going with IPS panels and that we're going to need to get a color calibration device.

What I'm trying to figure out is what sort of gamut I should be aiming at for proofing. The higher end monitor offer Adobe RGB, but most of our photos we work with are in sRGB, so I'm trying to decide if having a monitor that can display Adobe RGB is worth the extra cost when aiming for accuracy in proofing CMYK.

If I'm using a monitor that supports Adobe RGB, when soft-proofing for CMYK in InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Photoshop, will these applications take advantage of the expanded gamut in regards to more accurate soft-proofs or do they always emulate using the sRGB color space?

Replies
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,386 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Sep 27, 2011 1:20 PM   in reply to fallenturtle

The new PA series of NEC SpectraView’s can emulate sRGB or operate as wide gamut displays; best of both worlds. All the applications you mention are color managed and will take advantage of the wider gamut display assuming a good display profile (which with the SpectraView II software or the free Multiprofiler software is doable).

Depending on the press profile, there are colors that fall outside sRGB gamut!

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,386 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Sep 27, 2011 4:51 PM   in reply to fallenturtle

You need it in terms of seeing colors in CMYK output space that exceed sRGB. Unless not seeing those colors isn’t important to you ...

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2011 8:25 PM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

For similar pricing, Eizo has a series of Flexscan monitors that appear to have an edge or two over the NEC's, at least looking at specs. Since Eizo is the monitor supplier of choice for color management (so I am told by color management consultants!) why do you prefer the NEC?

On anther front, I do a lot of gray scle work and the monitor has to also do that well, separating the values between zones 1,2 and 3 decisively. Again, Eizo does verywell, although I may have to consider the ColorEdge versions ($$$$!). How does NEC stack up here?

Thanks!

Lawrence

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points