Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Airline Slogans - your favorite ?

May 16, 2011 6:31 AM

Who are they and what's your favorite ??

More experience than our name implies

Keep climbing

Fly the friendly skies

Work hard, fly right

Fly smart

The joy of flying

No ordinary airline

Up up and away

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 16, 2011 6:51 AM   in reply to able123

Korean Air: "Excellence In Flight"

The slogan isn't remarkable, but their ads are killer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gLgKKtzLJQ

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2011 8:12 AM   in reply to able123

ALYAG* Airlines: "Sit down.  Shut up.  Keep your feet off of the seats and don't bother

the Flight Attendants."

*Act Like You're A Guest

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2011 10:03 AM   in reply to able123

Old Continental Airlines slogan, "We move our tails for you."

Older SW Airlines line, "You're now free to move about the country."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2011 10:04 AM   in reply to able123

Yeah, no fighting for overhead storage space in that ship!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2011 1:47 PM   in reply to able123

Ah, that Sir Richard certainly knows how to get media attention!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 1:16 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Western Airlines, the ooooooooooonly way to fly.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 4:52 AM   in reply to able123

TWA

"Up, up, and awaaaaay"

Very prophetic

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 9:05 AM   in reply to able123

That must have been in the Frank Lorenzo days. Continental was once a "proud" airline ("the proud bird with the golden tail"), but did fall on hard times. We used to fly it often from New Orleans, and they were working to create a real "luxury" experience. During that time, they bought several DC-10's (or maybe 1011 Tri-stars - just cannot remember, and they were very similar planes), and put in a stand-up bar in FC. The FC seating was "captain's chairs" around little round coffee tables - Neat! I photographed their inaugral flight from MSY to DIA, for their ads. The bar came about the same time that United (and others) went with the 747BC's with the little "piano bar" upstairs. Man, flying was fun back then. No passenger with their head in your lap!

Now, up-thread a bit, United has been up-selling their Economy Plus, if there are not enough Premiere Exec, or 1K fliers on a paticular flight. Depending on the ship, the Economy Plus can be a good deal. Now, United has reconfigured several 757's for their PS (Premium Service), and fly them between LAX & SFO and JFK & IAD. There is ONLY FC (more like BC on most ships) and Economy Plus, but the latter is not even close to the seating in Economy Plus on most other ships - a very, very bad joke. United has also recruited a bunch of "flight attendents from Hell" to work those PS ships. Most remind me of the character that Lottie Lenya played in a From Russia With Love. I will never fly a PS flight, unless I know that I will be upgraded.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 12:43 PM   in reply to able123

We used to wear a suit and tie on those flights....not "mandatory" but you would never think otherwise out of respect for each other... it wasn't like '''' oh geez, I have to wear a suit ! ? '''  It was more like, " yipee...I'm going first class to Tahiti and I'm going to wear a suit ! "   Put on a good "face" for America or something ?

I recall those days. I still fly in a blazer, but that is so that I do not have to pack it, 'cause I'll need it for dinner. If I fly FC, or BC, I can get it hung up. If I fly coach, I usually try to charm the attendents into haning it up front. On that United PS flight, that was were the issues with the attendents started. One replied, "when you're back here, you don't get to do that." OK. Next, I order the "premium" Chardonnay for me, and for the wife. I was then told, "look, I'm too busy to get that. Back here you've got to take what I give you - no exceptions." It went way downhill from there. So much for "Welcome to the friendly skies... "

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 10:39 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt
    If I fly coach...

Right.

My favorite slogan is actually a tag line, which I have used several times -- "Wanna Get Away?"

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 12:44 PM   in reply to able123

Yes. You could always just turn, and point, when the DoP nixes your idea. Says talking.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2011 9:11 PM   in reply to able123

Two observations:

It appears that in some instances, a few people see an advantage in proper tax incentives, and also Bloomberg is not talking about "rioting" in the streets.

I am glad that NYC is addressing the production issues, and trying to make it easier to film in the City.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 1:45 PM   in reply to able123

Do not know how it works with other states, or cities, but in New Orleans, and Louisiana, all state, and city sales taxes were waived, via an exempt status awarded to the production companies.

I do understand shutting down parts of a city. Though the productions in NOLA were a bit on the small size (some exceptions), there were always plenty of closures, and the merchants, plus the residents, always came out and complained.

Not that long ago, Washington, DC, shut down many of the routes into and out of the city, so that several news organizations could film/tape the cherry blossoms. Not sure who issued those closure orders, but several transportation companies raised a ruckus. Luckily for us, our limo driver knew many shortcuts, and was aware of all closures. This was for only a few parts of a couple of days, but caused some heavy backups - along with tour companies also trying to get tourists down certain roads to see the blossoms.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 5:54 PM   in reply to able123

I am with you on desires to see more than prime-time "soap," set in the middle of the last century, with a plane, or two involved. I want to see the "glory days" of commercial airline travel portrayed realistically. I grew up in that era, and fondly recall air travel then, though did not experience trans-Atlantic, or trans-Pacific air travel, until later, when things had already changed. Even at that time, I pined for a few decades before, with more interesting ships, and every gentleman wearing a suit and hat, and many women in hats and gloves. Air travel WAS a big deal then, rather like train travel, just a few years before.

There was also a lot going on regarding the men (mostly) behind the airlines, and the unique identity of each airline. It was more than ships and routes - think Braniff. I want a "trip back in time," and if there are individual characters' stories, I want air travel to be the leit motif of the series. However, I am not holding my breath. Unfortunately, the TV audience wants to see The Randy Housewives of East Lincolnshire, or similar. Unfortunately, I feel that that is what we will get, but maybe Pan Am will break new ground, just like Hill Street Blues, Twin Peaks, St. Elsewhere, and others did, 20 - 30 years ago. It will all depend on whether the producers are ONLY drawn by $, or whether they realize that they have a real potential groundbreaker on their hands. I am betting on The Randy Stewardesses of Pan Am, but hope that I am proved very wrong.

I want to see Hap Arnold, Juan Trippe and others, who shaped air travel in particular, and travel in general. I had the pleasure of knowing some of the later movers and shakers, like Frank Lorenzo (later Continental), Frank Borman (Eastern Airlines), Ed Beauvais and Bill Franke (America West Airlines - plus Doug Parker, the CEO of the new US Air) and some others. In their own way, they were pioneers, just like Walter Varney (UAL).

Naw, the potential is there, but all will depend on how it's handled. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I am looking closely at Virgin Atlantic's Upper Class, for my flights to Heathrow, as they seem to get it, and harken back to that earlier time. Maybe airline travel can regain some of the glory? Maybe everyone has not forgotten? Perhaps it will soon shake the Greyhound Bus image, that permiates the industry now. We'll see if "class" is still viable in our world.

Hunt

PS - I have been seeing the promos for ABC's Pan Am, in Arizona, San Francisco and Hawaii, so ads ARE playing. Not sure why the NYC market is bereft of them?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 12:56 PM   in reply to able123

That's the type of stuff, that I hope Pan Am focuses on, but somehow doubt it. Not enough illicit behavior - no car chases - few explosions - just stories, linked via Pan Am, from a by-gone era.

I predict that it will be some sort of ...Housewives series, with elements "borrowed" from The Stewardesses. Heck, they might even release Pan Am in 3D...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 1:54 PM   in reply to able123

Rod,

I hope that you are correct and that TV does not corrupt a good thing - as it has sometimes in the past.

I'll be looking forward to the release (need to check dates, and maybe set DVR, depending on when it airs), and will also hope for the best. I am interested from many levels, and cannot say that I have found any dramatic series in the last several years, that I really cared to view. Now, I spend most of my viewing time on FoxNews, some cooking/restaurant/wine shows, and if I can find something good (not so easy nowadays) on History, or Discovery, or maybe even the Travel Channel. Were it not for NFL football, some golf (ain't the same, since Tiger's fall from grace), and the majors in tennis, I would only be watching "news TV." I need something lighter to entertain me, and this would be a good one, at least in concept.

Fingers X'ed for the show's success, and also for a long term for you, working on it.

Good luck, and keep the reports coming,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 4:32 PM   in reply to able123

I have not seen those things on a production set, but for many years now, have seen them illuminating "garden" events, and they do a wonderful job. The quality of the light is very, very nice. For the "event" units, not sure what instruments and bulbs are inside, but I do like the effect, kind of like the light that you get in a partial solar eclipse - very interesting.

We has something a bit similar in Denver, BUT it was a 10' x 10' trapazoid, with diffusion on the bottom, and white on the inside. Would have been better, if it was a parabolic unit, or better yet, eliptical, rather like the balloons. We could rig the instruments for firing up, into the trapazoid (and the square mounting plate at the top, or down through the Herculean. Nice, but no where near that quality of a balloon. If we'd have had about 35' of clear eave height, we might have been able to do a better job, but only had 24', and this sucka' was rather deep (to soften the light). After we packed in the studio, I did see one that was commercial with the parabolic shape, which was some form of lightweight fibreglas, sort of like a custom hot tub, but paited matte white and upside down. However, it was about US $ 30K, so one would need to be shooting car ads, or something similar, to justify the cost. Trust me, even big-time still work is not like TV/film production "stuff." Also, away from Hollywood, Detroit (in glory days) or NYC, there are not that many rental houses for some of this stuff. Besides how do you ship a 20' x 20' fibreglas parabola - on an angle on a rail car?

Yeah, those balloons look like a neat device.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Sep 27, 2011 5:30 PM   in reply to able123

Fascinating insights.

If there were an emoticon for envy, it would go here -->

|
    Mark as: