Skip navigation
ThetxJackalxt 6 posts
Sep 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Getting out there in the AE World

Sep 30, 2011 12:49 AM

Hi my name is Isaiah and I make after effects tutorials mainy hud tutorials and other varoiuse things. Currentley I only post tutorilas on my website and on youtube and I'm looking to exanpade my view count so others can benoifit from what I can teach them. Does anybody have any tips on how I can increase my views/traffic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

Please Visit my Website:http://jackalgfx.com/

Here is my most popular Tutorial

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2011 11:09 AM   in reply to ThetxJackalxt

My primary recommendation is to concentrate on the audio for your tutorials. You have a lot of extraneous noises in the tutorial (sniffles, bumps, etc.) as well as a distracting hiss/rumble ambient noise.

If the audio sounds cleaner, people won't be distracted by the audio, and they can concentrate on what you're saying.

Also, I recommend rehearsing what you're going to say at least once, doing a dry run before you record the final video.

And don't hesitate to edit your video to get rid of pauses and such.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to ThetxJackalxt

I hope you don't take offense, I'm going to be a little hard on you.

If you want to know how to make a great tutorial look at some of Deke's Photoshop tutorials. Time spent creating basic things like layers and importing footage is a waste of most viewers time. If you feel you must go through that step do it once and trim it. Liven up your presentation. It sounds like you have not slept for days. Great tutorials and great training are edited and produced. Just recording all of the steps in creating a composite and narrating as you go is just slightly more interesting than sitting in the back of a world history class while the professor mumbles as he writes on a white board. Not very effective, not very interesting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

I second all of Rick's suggestions. 

Just because you got the tutorial right in one take with the ol' screen capture software doesn't mean you're done.  Not by a long shot.  That's the pitfall that many, MANY people who make tutorials fall into.

Here's an example: when you add supporting graphics to the video to show what you're doing, it helps the learner learn faster.  You have to plan for them.  Your spoken copy has to reflect that you use them.  You have to make them.  And you have to add them in post-production. 

Check out some of Brian Maffitt's AE tutorials to see what I'm talking about.

And finally, learning how to spell is a big plus.  Actually, it's a given.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points