Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Please help me with some tips&trix > banners (CS4)

Sep 30, 2011 2:08 AM

Hi there,

I have brush off my Flash skills. Usualy I work in FW but now I have to create a banner in various large sizes but with very limited file size so I turn to Flash. My animation needs are very modest: moving ease in/out, rotate back forth and maybe a fade. Have any of you guys have some tips&trix for getting as much (simple) animation with keeping a small file size? Or point me to some tutorials? TIA!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2011 4:24 AM   in reply to motiondude

If you minimize (as in use none) the amount of content that you import into the file (images,sound, video) you can get some very small swf file sizes.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2011 5:20 AM   in reply to motiondude

As I already said, if you rely on imported content (like maybe that icon you mention) you are adding the weight of that image file to the swf.  If you can draw that icon in Flash instead, you will likely save quite a bit of the weight versus importing it.  If you can create an swf within Flash alone, not bringing in any external content, that is your best bet at keeping a low file size.  Also avoid using components, though it doesn't sound like that is relevant to a banner.

What you can do is try and see what you get.  In your Flash Publish Settings you can select the option to generate a siz report.  When you publish the file it will output that report and you can see what different pieces of your design contribute to the weight of the file.  Knowing that info you can try to target some for optimization.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2011 8:44 AM   in reply to motiondude

Since I cannot tell what you are doing detail-wise, and have no experience with After Effects, I cannot conclude that you are overlooking something, but I would anyways since Flash is fairly flexible.

A.  Specs are specs... aka: requirements

B. I'd use Actionscript, but you oughta see what happens to the filesize if you copy the whole animation 2 more times in the timeline.  Check the size report I mentioned to see what gets impacted and by how much.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points