Skip navigation
nathanwells
Currently Being Moderated

Fix Hunspell Plugin To Work With Khmer

Sep 26, 2011 10:53 PM

Tags: #indesign_cs5.5 #hunspell #khmer

Currently the hunspell plugin does not view U+200B as a real space that separates words for spelling purposes - this makes it impossible to correctly write languages such as Khmer which have no spaces between words for use with a hunspell dictionary.  OpenOffice correctly checks Khmer spelling and allows the zero width space to be used to separate words.  Please change the InDesign hunspell plugin to allow for U+200B to be used as a word separator.

I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.

Thank you,

Nathan Wells

The Society for Better Books in Cambodia

sbbic.org

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 27, 2011 3:50 AM   in reply to nathanwells

Hi Nathan,

You are certainly having quite a time with this project. You might think from the title of this forum that it is a channel for getting a feature request in to Adobe, but ti's actually just another user forum where we discuss the merits of possible feature requests, and the only official involvement from an Adobe employee would be if they happen to wander through and take an interest.

I think, though, that this is really a bug, rather than a feature request -- seems to me this should work already, so I'd suggest you file it as such. You can use Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form from which you will most likely not get any feedback (which does not mean it is being ignored), or John has posted another link, which I cannot seem to find, so maybe he'll see this and post it again, which may give you more opportunity to communicate with an Adobe rep.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Sep 27, 2011 8:38 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Nathan:

What OS are you on? Do you have access to a system programmer (that would be a human)? It is probably feasible to shim a substitution into the hunspell system between InDesign's checking and the unspell library/API, though it may not be pretty.

Peter writes:

You can use Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form from which you will most likely not get any feedback (which does not mean it is being ignored), or John has posted another link, which I cannot seem to find, so maybe he'll see this and post it again, which may give you more opportunity to communicate with an Adobe rep.

I think Peter refers to my general advice to open a Support case at http://adobe.com/go/supportportal. In my experience that is more likely to lead to useful resolutions.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Sep 27, 2011 4:15 PM   in reply to nathanwells

Nathan:

I think you have a hard problem in front of you. If your goal is to fix Khmer out of the box with InDesign, I think you will definitely need to work with Adobe on this. It may be a difficult process, so I wish you good luck and much patience.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2011 4:11 AM   in reply to nathanwells

Hello Nathan,

How about using track changes. You could insert spaces and then delete them with track changes on and then tell the spell check to included deleted text.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2011 4:26 AM   in reply to Pickory

Sorry, didn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 3:50 AM   in reply to Pickory

Hello Nathan,

I might have a very dirty solution for you.

We could write a plugin that would convert deleted spaces to visible spaces for spelling purposes. When spelling is complete you could hide the spaces. You would have to have InDesigns track changes switched on when deleting the spaces.

Thought about this a bit more. We could have an option that goes through the whole document deleting your special space character and inserts a normal space, when spelling is complete we revers the process.

Not really sure if this is practical for you but it might help.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 4:05 AM   in reply to Pickory

Hello,

Thought about this a bit more, again.

You could probably just turn track changes on, replace all of your special spaces with ordinary space. Turn track changes off, do your spelling and then reject all the track changes, leaving you with a clean spelt document.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to nathanwells

Hello,

If there is an API I would be happy to have a look for you.

Another very dirty solution might be to use conditional text.

P.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)