Skip navigation
aboumay
Currently Being Moderated

very poor Playback of imported image sequence

Oct 3, 2011 11:14 AM

Hello,

I really tried to work around this problem but I'm resigned to see that premiere pro seems to handle very bad the playback of imported sequence of numbered stills.

I began with premiere elements. I imported my footage as image sequence (from 3dsmax), and saw that the playback was poor. It seemed to be playable after background rendering was finished, but BG rendering is soooo long due to an issue with nvidia hardware. So I'm forced to disable BG rendering, but the problem is that the sequence go unplayable again, etc, etc.

I decided to install premiere pro cs5 trial to test, thinking that it will definitively fix the problem,

but... same poor, almost unusable playback with numbered stills.

I have a strong hardware (dual xeon 5650, quadro 4000, 48gb ram), so I think it's not the cause.

I disable my antivirus while using premiere.

Video sequences (avi, mov, etc), play smoothly, but when you work with CG 3D footage, you always export in image sequences, and I want to be able to edit my footages in premiere, as compositing softwares aren't built for the same kind of tasks.

After effects plays images sequences very smoothly, so why not premiere?

I did convert my image sequences to avi or mov uncompressed, but even with no compression, there's a significant loss of quality, and I want to avoid this loss to be able to edit my footage and output my final video based on the best image quality possible.

Thank you for answering

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Oct 3, 2011 11:36 AM   in reply to aboumay

I have a strong hardware (dual xeon 5650, quadro 4000, 48gb ram), so I think it's not the cause.

You did not mention your disk setup.

Playing back numbered image sequences at high resolution is

probably the most disk IO intensive thing you can ask Premiere to do.

Without a dedicated RAID controller and multi-disk setup, you will likely be

forced to timeline preview render all your image sequences for real time playback.

After effects plays images sequences very smoothly, so why not premiere?

AE will not play image sequences in real time until you render a RAM preview.

I did convert my image sequences to avi or mov uncompressed, but even with no compression, there's a significant loss of quality...

There will be no loss of quality if you use a lossless codec for your

digital intermediate file (i.e. Lagarith or UT), and these uncompressed files

will play smoothly in Premiere without needing to render timeline previews.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Oct 3, 2011 12:05 PM   in reply to aboumay

Link repaired.

|