• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader X Printing Problem

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I manage a lab at a university that about a couple hundred students go through each day. About a week ago, we started having a lot of the students come up to us and say that they can't print the PDF from Reader X, yet they can print from any other program just fine. Some are able to print if they open it with a browser (firefox, chrome, or IE), and some can't. The problem seems to happen randomly to students. I thought maybe it was an error with the new protected mode on Reader X, but even when I turned it off some still couldn't print. This complaint happens about 10 times a day with different PDF files.

Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using MacOS10.5.8 and have also had problems with printing in Reader X.  I followed the "Quick Fix" advice to click "advanced" in the print dialog and select "print as image."  In about 1 of 12 attempts to print a page it worked.  The rest of the time the application quit.  This never happened before Reader X.  I tried to go back and download version 9 again but was prompted that 9 was not available for my operating system.  Again, if anyone has the answer, please reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, with people that can't print PDFs from Reader X or the from the browsers, the only way that I can get it to print is to check the "print as image" in the "advanced" options of the print settings window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with home computer. When I try to print a PDF document, the print dialog box doesn't "see" my printer. I tried uninstalling X and reinstalling the previous version of Reader (9.4.0) with no improvement. So I reinstalled Reader X and unchecked the "Open in Protected Mode" box under the Edit/Preference/General tab, which is one suggestion I've seen on this forum.

So I'm still stuck not being able to print anything from Reader.

Does anyone have a fix???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

suddenly can;t print any pdf docs. was using reader 8, then 9 ... with 9 reader said i had to install prionter but refused to do so ... no help online anywhere.... then i saw reader 10 so tried that .. figgered newer version wold solve old problem ... now i can get to printer dialog ... select stuff .. click print ... zippo-nada-nothing AT ALL happens. printer is officejet  7210 which has been JustFine (tm) for years.  other pgms print as usual .. should i back up to reader 7? or just to 8?  perhaps reply to come in registerd email addrs? as well as here ?  i suspect there are some others w/same problme .. moare than the above ppl

Message was edited by: oscarbfrog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2011 Sep 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Mac OS X 10.6 and have had this problem for several months - if I recall correctly, it predates Reader X. In my situation, the problem occurs on files that were created from a pdf form that I am able to fill in and save: other pdf files print fine. The work-around has been to open and print the file using Preview. This is always sucessful. However, I need to be sure not to modify the file within Preview, since the saved data will then no longer be visible in Reader. I have also used the Print as Image solution recommended by Adobe, with success on the few occassions I used it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny that you say that, because a lot of the pdf's with problems (not all, but most) have been pdf forms that you can fill in. Thanks for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear users,

Thanks for reporting the problem.

Since majority of users reported the problem on Form based PDF document, we tried certain experiments at our end on both Win and Mac and could not find any issue and things worked all fine. May i request you to please answer the following questions wrt the isses faced by you.

1) Are you using Acrobat or Reader?

2) What is the version of Acrobat or Reader you are using? The latest version is 10.1.1 and I would request you to keep the application up-to-date. You may do so by going to Help-->Check for updates. Kindly report back if the issue is fixed or not after the update.

3) Do you see the issue occuring with specific pdf documents or all pdfs? Could you share your pdf documents at atulagar@adobe.com

4) what is the make of the printer? what is the make of the driver?

5) What is the exact nature of the issue? print does not come? or Do you see any error dialog while printing? or anything else?

Thanks for your valuable time and we look forward to your responses. You may post your reponses in forum itself and may send the pdfs to my e-mail id.

Thanks,

Atul Agarwal

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my answers to your questions, though I can't speak for anyone else's programs or printers!

1. Reader

2. X (10.1.1)

3. All pdfs. I will forward a couple of them to your email address.

4. HP Laser Jet 1020; don't know which driver? If you can tell me how to find out, I'll let you know.

5. When I try to print something, the print dialog box disappears after I select "print" but the printer does not do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear User,

The workflow is working fine at our end. It might be an issue of your printer installation so i request you to repeat the same with some other application (e.g. Word or notepad).

Kindly try the same and post your reply here as soon as possible so that we can investigate this further.

Thanks,

Sonal Aggarwal

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sonal,

I'm sure, with the latest equipment and technology used at your office,

you won't notice any problem at all.

In my case, my printer is and 'old baby', programmed and designed for

PLC 3, and I'm sure now that those commands and escape sequences have

been modified; maybe this affects only a few dozen cases world wide, but

it sure is a big inconvenience for me (can't just run out and buy a new

printer!:-( ).

Since you did not send your proper E-mail address I'm sending two files

to Atul's address: Used Open Office Org.'s word processing program to

print a standard text page - which worked fine. But then I inserted a

picture into a text document, and then sent it to the printer. You can

see the result.

Joe

Equinunk, PA - USA

jjarfas@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that you need to update your printer driver as it might be due to outdated PCL version driver.

For Windows, kindly first uninstall the printer and then enable 'Window Updates' followed by connecting printer. It will install the updated printer driver automatically.

In case of Mac, the above mentioned printer is not supported. You can check the same at "http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01856359&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=59306".

Try to take prints with this latest driver. Hope, It may solve your problem.

Thanks

Sonal Aggarwal

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check back, Sonal,

Message was edited by: HerrJosef on my 25th Sept. note, this is what I wrote: "I just deleted X, reloaded 9.4, deleted the printer, restarted Windows 7, reinstalled the printer ..." - and I did this dozens of times. Just now I tried to restore the system to prior to installing Reader X, but Windows 7 does not give me a restore point. What I will do tomorrow: I will borrow an other printer and install it on my system, just to see if the printer is the culprit. With every program failing - including Adobe Reader 9.4.0 and X - I might be forced to replace this old workhorse! Stay tuned ... Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what you suggested and I am now printing PDFs just fine! Thank you for the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Dear Sonal and Atul,

when I tried an other printer and printed fine, I broke down and got a

new printer!:-) Which is working fine also.

Yet, I'm still convinced it's not my old work horse's fault, but that

little conversion cable which took the standard Centronics connector and

converted it to USB plugin. Don't know how they did it, but it worked

all these years (well only for 3-4) when parallel ports disappeared from

computers.

Thanks for your support,

Joe

Equinunk, PA - USA

jjarfas@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sonal,  I have reinstalled my printer driver for my Cannon MP620, but I still can't print any new pdfs, my laptop still freezes up on the print spool screen and I have to reboot.

I have created my own workaround, I copy and paste the pdf contents into a Word doc and print that instead, but it's still a nuisance because now I don't know when a pdf arrives if I can safely open it without my laptop freezing again.  Old pdf's are fine, so what on earth could be causing this?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 02, 2011 Oct 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to try reverting to a previous version too, is there a link anywhere?  I have a very similar issue only my laptop freeezes completely, I can't even shut down using Task Manager.  I am fed up with it, my printer works with everything else and some old pdf's, I have re-installed the printer driver, but anything received since my laptop updated to Reader X, I can't print and it is a real nuisance having to reboot each time it falls over.   

As I mentioned previously, I have resorted to copying and pasting new pdf's into Word and printing them out that way, but in most cases it messes up the formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2011 Oct 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear user,

We tried all the workflows that you have mentioned with the same configurations and settings  (printer, OS, Reader version, document similar to that of yours) and things are working fine at our end. There is no such freeze kind of problem at our end. So I request you to please uninstall and reinstall your Reader 10.1.1, it might be a case of corrupted installation.

Also, for reverting back to previous versions, you can go to http://get.stage.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/ .

Hope this may solve your problem.

Thanks,

Sonal Aggarwal (soaggarw@adobe.com)

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this link before seeing the one you provided (see my post from a day or so ago):

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

The "stage." portion of yours seems to be an addition to this one, and when I tried it my browser could not find it.

After four attempts to install version 9.4.0, and not knowing it had succeeded because everything froze up again, that version did successfully install.  The first document I tried that I had trouble with using Version X (10.1.1) loaded properly, printed properly, and provided no error messages.  It is working perfectly, and I won't go back to Reader X untli someone at Adobe acknowledges that there is a problem.  I'll be the first to repost something here if I have any trouble with Version 9.4.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my 2nd post in the forum. Your link gives me a Page Not Found error. The "stage." portion of it is in error. It works without that portion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sonal I am just re-installing now, I will try this and if I still cannot print I'll revert to 9.4.0 and try that.  (Byu1980 is right btw, the link needs the 'stage' removing if anyone else is going to try this too).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the link is http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

Dear byu1980,

It seems that you had installation problem with ReaderX, if you would have reinstall ReaderX then also your problem would get solve. This is not the issue with update.

If you still face any problem, revert back for the same.

Thanks for your timely response and cooperation.

Sonal Aggarwal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sonai,

Would you please provide the first date that Reader X became available to the public, and when popup notices would have starting appearing for those of us who were previously using an earlier version.  I can't tell you exactly when I upgraded to Reader X, but I'd like the date information so I can determine for sure what version I was using at a specific point in time.  If there are remnants of the original installation hidden somewhere on my hard drive, perhaps you can help me find it if this date info is not available.  It's quite possible that my original installation was corrupted somehow, but I applied at least a couple of updates to Reader X in getting to version 10.1.1, thinking as I was installing them that they would correct the issues I had been having since installing Reader X.  I never saw an error message indicating that either the Reader X upgrade or the updates to it failed to install properly.

Please reply with the date information requested.  After that, I'll assess where I stand with going back to Version X (10).

byu1980

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear user byu1980,

It's a logical behaviour that if in any case an installer file (at client side) gets corrupted then updates do not provide any error or warning of its corruption. It just apply its update to the application and that's why you were unable to resolve your problem in spite of updating it. Thereby,  I request you to completely uninstall and reinstall the application's latest version (10.1.1) provided at Adobe site.

(For your information 😞  Reader X was made publically available in Nov, 2010. 

I hope this post will be helpful for you.

Thanks

Sonal Aggarwal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines