Skip navigation
Bob Bringhurst 4,642 posts
May 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Update to Folio Producer Tools (Oct. 3)

Oct 3, 2011 3:28 PM

Digital Publishing Suite will be releasing new features and functionality Monday Oct 3rd at 5:00 PM Pacific Coast time. There are now two separate installers: one for the Folio Producer tools and one for the Folio Builder panel. If you created a custom viewer using a previous set of tools and don't want to update the viewer app, install only the Folio Builder panel to stay in sync with the updated web client. If you want to update all your tools, install the Folio Producer tools first, and then install the Folio Builder panel. SeeInstalling digital publishing tools.

The v16 file format is identical to the previous file format, so any folio you create with the newest set of tools works with the current Adobe Content Viewer (1.9). Adobe submitted a new version of the app to Apple. When the new viewer is available, Preview on Device will work for the iPad (Mac only; third-party utility required). See What's new in this release.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Calculating status...
    Oct 3, 2011 6:53 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I installed the new Producer Tools. Opened ID. Folio Builder asked for update. I noticed the patch was dated 8/25. OK, I installed it anyway. Reopened ID --  now it wants me to reinstall the Producer tools. I reinstall them and get the same request again to reinstall the Producer tools when the Folio Builder panel opens. ????? #@$%!!  The download is 93 mb. How many times do I need to do this? I go to the Adobe website and try the stand alone Folio builder Panel download. Even tho the page dates the panel as 10/3 the installer is still fated 8/25. Sweet. Doesn't work.

I would say don't rush into this.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2011 11:13 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Well, after update Folio Producer Tools panel is gone <_< InDesign only shows %MENU_NAME in Windows - Extensions and doesn't do anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 2:50 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Ok. So nothing to change with my app created with Viewer Builder 1.5... All folio will be readable in my branded app?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 4:46 AM   in reply to minia92

The link within of Folio Builder Panel goes to Folio Producer Tools Updates, not to Folio Builder Panel Updates:

Here the links:

Macintosh:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=180&platfor m=Macintosh

Windows:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=180&platfor m=Windows

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 5:41 AM   in reply to deivisali

This all works very well so far. It seems that the bug which caused Lion/InDesign to crash when importing articles has been fixed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Dan Rodney
    46 posts
    Jan 18, 2010
    Oct 4, 2011 10:52 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

After this latest DPS update, what does File > Folio Preview do?

It used to open Content Viewer, now it opens an empty panel (the Folio Preview panel). I can't seem to get that panel to do anything, is this a bug or am I missing something?

|
    Mark as:
  • Dan Rodney
    46 posts
    Jan 18, 2010
    Oct 4, 2011 11:16 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks for confirming the bug. I had figured out the workaround, but was wondering what I was missing about using that panel. Glad I'm not going crazy

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 11:44 AM   in reply to Dan Rodney

Who said you weren’t going crazy?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 6:21 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I downloaded the latest (Oct. 3) updates for the Folio Producer Tools and the Folio Builder Panel for InDesign CS5 Macintosh but after installing only the Overlay Creator appears in the Windows/Extensions menu. How do I get the Folio Builder panel to appear?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 6:41 AM   in reply to Bouche AD

Did you install the producer tools first?

I didnt, so when I installed Folio Builder first then the producer tools, there was no folio builder.

Other than that, ...dont know :-)

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 6:55 AM   in reply to mobly

OK, I figured it out.

Deep in the Library folder (Application Support/Adobe/) there's a folder called "CS5ServiceManager" and inside that, there's a folder called "extensions". When I checked in this folder, there was another folder titled "Overlay Creator" but nothing about folio builder. I went back out to the Adobe folder and noticed that there was another folder titled CS5.5ServiceManager. Sure enough, inside the extensions folder was a Folio Builder folder. I simply moved that folder to the CS5ServiceManager/extensions folder, restarted InDesign and voila, Folio Builder appeared in the extensions menu.

I suppose it's possible that I accidently downloaded the CS5.5 version of Folio Builder but I honestly don't think so. Would the 5.5 version even work in InDesign CS5?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 7:18 AM   in reply to Bouche AD

Hi

How can I be sure that it is the last version and it install properly (too many version of the Folio Panel !) it is beeing confusing

It should be that as Bob talked about the V16...

How can the Folio producer can be update (and how to check it is the last version) as it is a web portal??

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 12:38 PM   in reply to densmirnov-Osh5Xw

I have the same name showing up in mine--%MENU_NAME

I am CS5, mac, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 1:56 PM   in reply to Lisa Shugaar

Rerun the folio builder panel installer.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 5:50 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

After reading the issues that others were experiencing I was initially hesitant to race into this update but have installed both updates without any problems and have all functionality except the minor bug that Bob confirmed. I never use that preview option anyway so I'm happy :-)

Perdita

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)