Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AIR for Android Captive Runtime

Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to package android apps with AIR (or will it be) using Flash CS5.5? I don't see anything on the web about. Just how to do it with Flex and ADT etc...

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, seems like there is support for Flex and Flash Builder but no love for the Flash CS5.5 I bought in May mainly for the "Mobile workflow".  I would also like to know how to use native extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying you can't make Air apps for android through Flash 5.5 at all? Sorry, I don't know what captive runtime means..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@monkey500: iOS apps made with Air include the runtime as part of tha app.  Previous to Air 3.0, all android apps had a dependency in that all Android phones needed your app + the Adobe Air app to work.  With 3.0, it is now possible to bundle your app + the air runtime app in a single file or download so the user doesn't have to download the Air runtime to make it work.

I wish Adobe would be clear on the tools they make and when you should use one vs. the other.  I am starting to feel like the Flash Pro 5.5 I recently bought is not going to be updated to support these new capabilities (native code as another example).  If it is, they willlikely charge again.  If this is the case, I might as well just learn native development rather than trying to figure out all these other tools. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks alex,

I've also invested in CS5.5, but haven't tried my apps on Android yet.

How are the results of Air 2.7 and Air 3 on android? Anyone tested it on a tablet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AIR 2.7 works well on Android. I haven't yet tried the release AIR 3.0 on Android (I can't find the SDK download page), so I'm not sure how it does. Aside from having to set the bitdepth to 16 bit to get the best performance, other people seem to have done ok with it. Some of the Android apps Adobe showed at the keynote speech were done with AIR 3.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colin, perhaps best then not to rush into the new versions before they're bug free..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, anyone has any hint for building the captive version by starting from a FLA in Flash Cs5.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 3.0 and am experiencing only Good Things on Android Tablet.

I first used the Candidate Release and now the full version.

I am not using Captive Runtime as Android has AIR 3.0 public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice to have the option for captive runtime since some people don't like the dependency and have no idea what Air is.  They may just uninstall your app thinking it is malicious because it will try to download something else when you launch your app (if they dont have it).  It would be sweeter if Google just bundled it in and updated it in the background like they do the market app.  The captive runtime is 1 aspect but really want to take advantage of native code like 'share' and 'toasts' for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use toasts, contacts, etc already using this technique:
http://www.jamesward.com/2011/05/11/extending-air-for-android/?replytocom=163323

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen that but was hoping for something easier like adding an extension and then a simple AS3 call. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can take the authoring tools (Flash Pro CS and Flash Builder) a cycle to catch up to new features in the runtime. I would expect full support for captive runtimes and native extensions in the next release of these products.

In the meantime, you can build your app in Flash Pro CS (for example), and do the final packaging step using the ADT utility from the AIR 3 SDK. Inconvientent, yes; but it can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is exactly what I have in mind but I would be happy to see (for example) what is the complete adt command that Flash Pro calls in order to build the apk.

So I can copy/paste it and all I have to do is to add that parameter to activate the "captive mode".

Any hint?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for a normal release-type apk you would use:

adt     -package

-target apk

-storetype pkcs12 -keystore ../myCert.p12

myApp.apk

myApp-app.xml

myApp.swf icons

(All on one line, replacing the myXXX with the appropriate values for your app)

For a captive runtime apk, you would use (the target is the only difference):

adt     -package

-target apk-captive-runtime

myApp.apk

myApp-app.xml

myApp.swf icons

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to run the command line in flash pro?  Or link to step by step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there's no command line interface within Flash Pro. Possibly you could script it with the Flash scripting interface, jsapi. (I've never done anything of the sort, so I'm not sure.)

The step-by-step is:

1. Get the AIR 3 SDK.

2. Create the app. At this point you should have a folder with the SWF, app descriptor, resources

3. Find your code signing cert.

4. Open a command/terminal window

5. change directories (cd) to the app folder

6. Run ADT (from the bin folder of your AIR SDK) with the options shown above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joe Ward,

I appreciated very much your suggestions.

One more question: what if I have two subdirectories with assets, for example assets0 and assets1?

adt     -package

-target apk

myApp.apk

myApp-app.xml

myApp.swf icons

assets0

assets1

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. If you list a file it is included. If you list a directory, that directory and all its contents are included in the package. (For example, "icons" in the example is a folder containing icon files.)

For the gory details on the command line options, see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac1e63e3d12994b39ff0-8000.html

(Except it seems, the -apk-captive-runtime option, which I'm working to get updated ASAP!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Obi-Ward Kenobi, you are my only hope.

*bows*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This part "1. Get the AIR 3 SDK.", is proving to be a challenge. I have AIR 3.0 installed, and FP11, but I can't find a download link for the release SDK.The download button at the right of this page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/air.html

doesn't seem to do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

In that page you posted, on the menu on the right, you should see a "downloads" box

Click on the second entry (that is Android Air Sdk) and you should be redirect to the download page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The direct link to the sdk download page is http://www.adobe.com/special/products/air/sdk/

The direct link to the AIR 3 runtime is http://get.adobe.com/air/

[Edit: the links on the AIR product page appear to work now.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Joe...Ward: Do you know when Flash Pro will support all the new features of AIR3 or at least can you confirm it is in the plan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines