Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Digital Publishing Suite Single Edition Announced

Oct 3, 2011 10:28 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2011 10:47 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

An affordable DPS, this is great news - as well as all the other Adobe announcements.

Two things I'd like to ask:

- Is there a time frame for Single Edition to be available in customers in Europe? and

- Does the partnership with WoodWing means that the Overlay Creator will incorporate the WoodWing tools for creating interactive content?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2011 12:01 PM   in reply to KonstantinosAnt

Timeframe: The only thing we hear is "soon" or "in 2012", that's the same

for Android support.

WoodWing: I think it is the other way around. WoodWing said that they will

stop using their own tools and transfer their customers to Adobe DPS, so

they will use the overlay creator instead in the future, use .folio format

and drop their own format.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2011 12:06 PM   in reply to KonstantinosAnt

i have to correct myself there, it more looks like WoodWing is still using their own tools, but they will create the .folio format:

From the FAQ:

WoodWing will continue to support and develop its Digital Magazine Tools for InDesign,

which are accessible through WoodWing Enterprise and used to efficiently create or add

interactivity to content targeted to tablet devices. There is no change to the creative

process in the way a tablet publication is designed and interactivity is added.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2011 1:08 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Brilliant, so for those of us that have the Professional licence, what's the benefit of our investment now?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2011 4:58 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Suite single edition US$495/month. is correct?...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2011 5:17 PM   in reply to .Lhuis

Professional for 495$ a month, single edition for 395 each time.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2011 5:26 PM   in reply to KonstantinosAnt

KonstantinosAnt wrote:

- Does the partnership with WoodWing means that the Overlay Creator will incorporate the WoodWing tools for creating interactive content?

The way I read it is that you will still subscribe to Woodwing and use their plugin and tools but the actual publishing aspect of the workflow would be handled by Adobe and the Dashboard.

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2011 10:28 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Thanks Johanes (BTW, brilliant work with the blog and the app ) and Tony.

I am kinda happy, to be honest, as I use WoodWing at work and DPS for my personal projects, so it seems that exporting (and, probably, being able to share and combine workflows) to a single format will simplify my life.

I have scheduled a meeting with my local WoodWing representative in a couple of days, will let you know what's their view.

One thing I'm wondering: the Single Edition is for one "single app" and not for one "issue" of a kiosk, do I understand correctly? I mean, you can publish a standalone app using this, not use one every time you want to publish an issue of a magazine title.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 2:20 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Great news?

Three questions?

1 - is that a per app cost?

2 - how long till the multi-folio app?

3 - when will we learn of nonprofit pricing scheme?

Yeah!

CJ

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 2:22 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

When will ADPS users be able to use Woodwing tools?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 2:57 AM   in reply to mobly

I'm glad you made this comment. I didn't want to be the only one feeling like this.

First off we buy an Acrobat subscription only to discove, the next day, that the tools we required are now available for free. Then we subscribe to DPS and find out two weeks later that there's a new non-subscription edition which we could have done with. I'm not overly angry as I think the DPS is probably better value in the long run, but I am annoyed that Adobe don't tell customers what their plans are.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 3:42 PM   in reply to Konstantinos Terzopoulos

Constantine Terss wrote:

1 - is that a per app cost?

2 - how long till the multi-folio app?

3 - when will we learn of nonprofit pricing scheme?

1. Yep. The price is for each single-issue application.

2. Multi-issue applications are more complex.  They require the use of Adobe's fulfillment servers and interaction with Apple's In-App Purchase APIs.  So, I doubt they'll ever appear with a "one-time" fee.  A contract will always be necessary as Adobe will continue to spend money so long as your content is ont he store.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 5:22 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

The irony, of course, is that Adobe listened in large part because of the so-called 'complaining' and 'whining' that dozens of customers did in this very forum.

There's a lesson there, to be sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 4:38 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Creative Pro has an updated article with some answers to the above questions, with the OP's thoughts () and a handy table for all the solutions out there.

It's found at: http://www.creativepro.com/article/adobe-dramatically-drops-price-ipad -publishing

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 2:18 AM   in reply to KonstantinosAnt

Would the single edition be OK for a product catalogue or for a product brochure?

I mean the catalogue gets updated from time to time. Same with the product brochure when you add new product, or modify something.

I have the impression that single editions cannot be updated. So only for documents that are "written in stone", correct?

thanks

fabio

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 2:28 AM   in reply to fabio_3143

Fabio

The single issue app that you send directly to Apple can be updated through "updates" on the App Store. So it is still perfect for a catalogue etc.

Where it fails is if you may have sold a magazine, and you dont want, or the person that has bought the app, doesn't want, for it to be "over-written" by the update.

Cheers

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 2:35 AM   in reply to mobly

Thank God for that! Fabio's post nearly gave me a heart attack. I've been telling clients they can update no problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 3:15 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

Woodwing workflow will be integrated into DPS with Enterprise 7.5, which we expect to be available by Mid-Nov.

We show the solution at IFRA in Vienna next week at booth A660.

The creation process of interactive elements keeps to be Woodwing's, so InDesign plugins by Woodwing still exist and content management remains within Enterprise, you don't use ID5.5 but still ID4 & ID5. ID5.5 support is still on its way and actually will come after DPS integration with Enterprise 7.6.

So Woodwing supplies you with its own toolset & workflow and one-click export into .folio format (instead of .ofip, which will be abandoned) on basis of the DPS SDK.

Woodwing will work with Adobe (& vice versa) to make the transition for Woodwing customers as smooth as possible, possibly bringing the more advanced features of Woodwing Digital Magazine Reader & CDS to the Adobe DPS ecosystem very soon.

Woodwing and its solution partners will act as DPS resellers to the market in the future.

Any questions, contact me via twitter @PeterPanVienna or http://www.zweipunktnull.net

Cheers

Peter

GM zweipunktnull Authorized Woodwing Solution Partner

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 6:41 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Yes, but presumably not if you have a subscription.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 6:48 AM   in reply to David Cooke

Good point Bob, from my selfish point of view, thats good news for me if you are correct.

As a pro licence subscriber I can publish unlimited folio's without any additional cost.

I think there will be very few people that will create an App that wouldn't at least have 1 or 2 updates a year,

if not a few more than that....

Which, when you think about it, could make the single edition quite expensive in the long run, unless you really only have one App.

But hey, good news for me, in terms of my "Agency" business model.

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 2:20 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Do you have any idea of when the single edition will be available? I've been holding apps for a while, waiting...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 2:27 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I think this Single Edition idea is cool and all, but the real gap in pricing remains:  A ONE TIME price to create a magazine and then pay a nominal fee to Adobe in order to have new issues/folios.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2011 12:13 PM   in reply to mobly

So basically I can publish a catalogue and update it a couple of times a year as long as I pay the single edition each time, is that correct?. And if that's possible: is it an update to the app the user already downloaded or does it necessarily have to be a different app on the appstore (which wouldnt be so convenient).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 6:24 AM   in reply to Abraham Garza

I had the same question and they told me you have create a new/different app each time. It's not possible to update your app because Adobe thinks you shouldn't.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points