Skip navigation
tjhemingway
Currently Being Moderated

Portfolio Piece

Oct 5, 2011 11:00 PM

Hi there,

I have a portfolio piece that I created in MX 2004 several years agou  that I would like to re-publish as an executable file.  The file I currently have has absolute paths of files so it doesn't work on my web site.  I downloaded the trial  for DIrector 11.5 and upgraded the files but can't publish it.  I am unemployed so I can't fork out the money to upgrade.  Could anyone publish it for me for a small fee if I provide the files?  Also, I want to make sure the assets load so will something like this work? director/assets/filename.mov (the structure of my web site).  I would love to upgrade eventually but just can't justify it at this time.  DIrector was more of a fun software than something I used for any business purpose.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TJ

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 6, 2011 9:13 AM   in reply to tjhemingway

some discussions ago, one of the forum members told, that , if you make the updates for Director 11.5 ( in the help-tab) it should be possible to publish.

Give it a try.

Wolfgang

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2011 8:00 PM   in reply to tjhemingway

Hi TJ,

When Director 11.5 was first released, the publish to projector was disabled in the unregistered version. This was changed with an update. The way to update Director is from within the application itself. Go to the Help menu and choose Updates.

If you'd like help with making a projector, I'm happy to create one on my end. I can create a stub projector - an exe that has no content but just links to your first movie. That way, you can edit the content without having to recreate the projector each time.

To your other question, there is a way to define external paths for media like vide - look up ‘searchPathList’. This is mainly for offline external content and it is bets to have each media defined directly to its correct location. You can set an external media path with:
    member("moviefilename").fileName = _movie.path & "director/assets/filename.mov"

If you want further help, you can contact me directly (d.utian@unsw.edu.au).

regards
    Dean

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2011 11:58 PM   in reply to tjhemingway

Hi TJ,

I would not reccomend having an EXE linked from a web page. If you want it to run online, it's best if you convert it to Shockwave. If you wnat users to be able to download the entire presentation, make a zip with all the files. There are quite a few files to download. I'm happy to look but would prefer downloading one zip with everything.

regards
    Dean

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 6:20 AM   in reply to Dean Utian

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, Deal, but how do you “edit the content” of a projector?

dp509

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 6:49 AM   in reply to MECS

Hi MECS,
    You can't edit a projector. You can edit the DIR that the projector was created from. It is that file I suggested be converted to a Shockwave DCR.
    Dean

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 8:29 AM   in reply to Dean Utian

Ok.  Thanks.  I was confused because the person had said they cannot publish a projector.  So if they edit a .dir file, they would still have to publish it as a projector.  That’s why I thought you were suggesting creating a stub projector and having them edit it each time so they wouldn’t have to publish a projector.  My misunderstanding.

Dewey

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 2:15 PM   in reply to tjhemingway

@Dewey
    The reason TJ could not publish a projector was because the trial version of D11.5 has it disabled - that's until you download the update. A stub projector is good whether you can create a new projector or not as it saves you from recreating it each time after edits are made to the main files.

@TJ
    Are you wanting files to play on the web or offline on someone's hard drive?
    If online, then it's best to have DCRs linked to each other with no EXE. If you want it to run as a standalone application, create a stub projector, then the DIRs can be linked to each other. If you want to protect the files (don't want people to be able to open them and see what's inside), you can either convert the DIRs to DCRs or DXRs.

Am not sure if that answered your question as wasn't 100% clear in what you were suggesting.

Dean

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points