Skip navigation
As<3
Currently Being Moderated

AIR for Android Captive Runtime

Oct 4, 2011 12:46 PM

Is it possible to package android apps with AIR (or will it be) using Flash CS5.5? I don't see anything on the web about. Just how to do it with Flex and ADT etc...

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 4, 2011 1:28 PM   in reply to As<3

Agree, seems like there is support for Flex and Flash Builder but no love for the Flash CS5.5 I bought in May mainly for the "Mobile workflow".  I would also like to know how to use native extensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 12:50 AM   in reply to mola2alex

Are you saying you can't make Air apps for android through Flash 5.5 at all? Sorry, I don't know what captive runtime means..

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 4:16 AM   in reply to As<3

So, anyone has any hint for building the captive version by starting from a FLA in Flash Cs5.5?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 5:32 AM   in reply to monkey500

@monkey500: iOS apps made with Air include the runtime as part of tha app.  Previous to Air 3.0, all android apps had a dependency in that all Android phones needed your app + the Adobe Air app to work.  With 3.0, it is now possible to bundle your app + the air runtime app in a single file or download so the user doesn't have to download the Air runtime to make it work.

I wish Adobe would be clear on the tools they make and when you should use one vs. the other.  I am starting to feel like the Flash Pro 5.5 I recently bought is not going to be updated to support these new capabilities (native code as another example).  If it is, they willlikely charge again.  If this is the case, I might as well just learn native development rather than trying to figure out all these other tools. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 5:57 AM   in reply to mola2alex

Thanks alex,

I've also invested in CS5.5, but haven't tried my apps on Android yet.

How are the results of Air 2.7 and Air 3 on android? Anyone tested it on a tablet?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 6:23 AM   in reply to monkey500

AIR 2.7 works well on Android. I haven't yet tried the release AIR 3.0 on Android (I can't find the SDK download page), so I'm not sure how it does. Aside from having to set the bitdepth to 16 bit to get the best performance, other people seem to have done ok with it. Some of the Android apps Adobe showed at the keynote speech were done with AIR 3.0.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 6:32 AM   in reply to Colin Holgate

Thanks Colin, perhaps best then not to rush into the new versions before they're bug free..

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 7:39 AM   in reply to As<3

I am using 3.0 and am experiencing only Good Things on Android Tablet.

I first used the Candidate Release and now the full version.

I am not using Captive Runtime as Android has AIR 3.0 public.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 7:56 AM   in reply to DachFlach

It would be nice to have the option for captive runtime since some people don't like the dependency and have no idea what Air is.  They may just uninstall your app thinking it is malicious because it will try to download something else when you launch your app (if they dont have it).  It would be sweeter if Google just bundled it in and updated it in the background like they do the market app.  The captive runtime is 1 aspect but really want to take advantage of native code like 'share' and 'toasts' for example.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 7:59 AM   in reply to mola2alex

You can use toasts, contacts, etc already using this technique:
    http://www.jamesward.com/2011/05/11/extending-air-for-android/?replyto com=163323

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 8:03 AM   in reply to As<3

I have seen that but was hoping for something easier like adding an extension and then a simple AS3 call. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 8:09 AM   in reply to As<3

It can take the authoring tools (Flash Pro CS and Flash Builder) a cycle to catch up to new features in the runtime. I would expect full support for captive runtimes and native extensions in the next release of these products.

In the meantime, you can build your app in Flash Pro CS (for example), and do the final packaging step using the ADT utility from the AIR 3 SDK. Inconvientent, yes; but it can be done.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 8:12 AM   in reply to Joe ... Ward

Yes this is exactly what I have in mind but I would be happy to see (for example) what is the complete adt command that Flash Pro calls in order to build the apk.

So I can copy/paste it and all I have to do is to add that parameter to activate the "captive mode".

Any hint?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 8:20 AM   in reply to Joe ... Ward

One difference between Flash Pro and Flash Builder, if I understood the keynote speech correctly, is that the FB team already have a public beta posted that will allow the captive runtime. Will Flash Pro users have to wait perhaps a year before being able to not use ADT?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 10:17 AM   in reply to BaronKarza

So for a normal release-type apk you would use:

adt     -package

-target apk

-storetype pkcs12 -keystore ../myCert.p12

myApp.apk

myApp-app.xml

myApp.swf icons

(All on one line, replacing the myXXX with the appropriate values for your app)

For a captive runtime apk, you would use (the target is the only difference):

adt     -package

-target apk-captive-runtime

myApp.apk

myApp-app.xml

myApp.swf icons

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 10:30 AM   in reply to Joe ... Ward

Is there a way to run the command line in flash pro?  Or link to step by step?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 10:49 AM   in reply to mola2alex

No, there's no command line interface within Flash Pro. Possibly you could script it with the Flash scripting interface, jsapi. (I've never done anything of the sort, so I'm not sure.)

The step-by-step is:

1. Get the AIR 3 SDK.

2. Create the app. At this point you should have a folder with the SWF, app descriptor, resources

3. Find your code signing cert.

4. Open a command/terminal window

5. change directories (cd) to the app folder

6. Run ADT (from the bin folder of your AIR SDK) with the options shown above

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 10:54 AM   in reply to Joe ... Ward

Thanks Joe Ward,

I appreciated very much your suggestions.

One more question: what if I have two subdirectories with assets, for example assets0 and assets1?

adt     -package

-target apk

myApp.apk

myApp-app.xml

myApp.swf icons

assets0

assets1

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 11:00 AM   in reply to BaronKarza

Yes. If you list a file it is included. If you list a directory, that directory and all its contents are included in the package. (For example, "icons" in the example is a folder containing icon files.)

For the gory details on the command line options, see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac1e63e3d12994b3 9ff0-8000.html

(Except it seems, the -apk-captive-runtime option, which I'm working to get updated ASAP!)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 11:03 AM   in reply to Joe ... Ward

Thanks Obi-Ward Kenobi, you are my only hope.

*bows*

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 11:40 AM   in reply to Joe ... Ward

This part "1. Get the AIR 3 SDK.", is proving to be a challenge. I have AIR 3.0 installed, and FP11, but I can't find a download link for the release SDK.The download button at the right of this page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/air.html

doesn't seem to do anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 11:43 AM   in reply to Colin Holgate

Hi Colin,

In that page you posted, on the menu on the right, you should see a "downloads" box

Click on the second entry (that is Android Air Sdk) and you should be redirect to the download page.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 12:52 PM   in reply to BaronKarza

The direct link to the sdk download page is http://www.adobe.com/special/products/air/sdk/

The direct link to the AIR 3 runtime is http://get.adobe.com/air/

[Edit: the links on the AIR product page appear to work now.]

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 12:28 PM   in reply to BaronKarza

Baron, the button you pointed to is the one I said that doesn't do anything.

Joe, thanks for the direct link.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 12:42 PM   in reply to Joe ... Ward

@Joe...Ward: Do you know when Flash Pro will support all the new features of AIR3 or at least can you confirm it is in the plan?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 12:51 PM   in reply to mola2alex

Sorry, I can't comment on future release plans.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2011 1:07 PM   in reply to Joe ... Ward

It was worth a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to mola2alex

I sat down last night and took some time to try to figure this out.  I was successful in taking my swf and getting a working captive android app.  I was also able to get the native extensions working as well (vibrate on button press).  It adds a lot of extra steps to the process but it is possible.  One of the issues is testing, especially the native extensions.  You have to create the swf and manually package it, then manually get it on your phone and install it (maybe there is an install feature in ADT but I haven't got that far, either way, still not as easy as clicking publish).  It is ok if you want to build a captive app once you get your app finalized but without being able to quickly test the native extensions quickly from within Flash Pros publish, I will likely hold off on using native extensions until flash pro is updated or I really need it.

Now some results.

Captive app added about 8MB to my apk file size which is pretty consistent with what others have experienced on here as well.  If you push a lot of updates, you may get a lot of angry users depending on data plan.  Now, once you look at your app within Android file manager, it takes up over 25MB of space but approx 200k if you move it to SD (this is Gingerbread size, Froyo can differ in how much can be moved to SD).  This is consistent with the new AIR in the market that is about 8MB file size but expands to 25MB once installed.  This is about 9MB increase over AIR2.7 which weighed in around 16MB (expanded) I believe.  Moving apps to SD will help some of the older phones with the file size but if they have 10 AIR apps, it could add up. 

I am debating whether or not I should use the captive feature or not.  Considering I can setup my android manifest to prefer SD card install, it might be worth it.  I also did notice that some of my currently published apps had some strange behaviour with the new AIR3 runtime and I had to update them quickly, yet another reason you may want to use captive apps.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 10:45 AM   in reply to As<3

While I do not currently want to use CaptiveRuntime, I am wondering if it is easily added to an app that is being published with Eclipse?

I use Eclipse to easily test my apps with on my devices.

I publish my SWF in Flash Pro and move the swf to my Eclipse package and run it immediately on my device.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 12:44 AM   in reply to mola2alex

I'm still a bit confused.

I have to admit that I have still to try because lately I have not so much spare time.

I know now how to create captive apps.

What I do not know is how to use native extensions in Flash CS5.5

For example I downloaded the example "vibration.zip" from here

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/native-extensions-for-air/extensions/v ibration.html

I got the swc and put it in flash library as I usually do when I use swc.

Then I add the code to my project in order to make my phone vibrate (and I added also the permission entry).

I compiled the whole thing and got no errors.

But when I try it in runtime I get a lot of errors coming from the swc

Obviously I think I will have to do it manually with ADT.

This means that I can test it only on my device and I have to put some sort of "if" in my code for excluding that code when I compile and launch it from Flash env.

Am I Right?

If yes, can someone drop some lines in order to add an extension when packaging with ADT?

Thanks in advance

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 8:15 AM   in reply to BaronKarza

You need to use command line ADT to compile. You also need to add -extdir "foldername"to the command line that has your android native code in it.  In addition, you need to modify your XML file to include <extensions>.  I just took the sample at the below link and looked at how they structered theri XMLs etc.  I also got the toasts working.

http://www.smallscreendesign.com/2011/09/29/air-native-extensions-rock /

One issue I ran into with AIR3 is that the soft menu key on Android tablets is missing.  Apps I compiled in AIR2.6 SDK such as the sample "Options Menu" in the template show the menu key in Honeycomb.  Same app compiled using AIR3 does not.  Now I have users emailing me that are unable to get into the options of my apps and I have to ugly up the UI with a button.  If you need this feature, please vote below:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2936827

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 10:21 AM   in reply to BaronKarza

To include a native extension in the package, add "-extdir dir-with-ane-files" to the command line after the application descriptor. E.g:

adt     -package

-target apk

-storetype pkcs12 -keystore ../codesign.p12

myApp.apk

myApp-app.xml

-extdir extensionsDir

myApp.swf icons

More details here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac-4f1413de12cd4 5ccc23-8000.html

Testing is a little more problematic until Flash CS supports native extensions. There are ways to do it on the desktop using the command-line ADL utility, but really, I think testing on the device is the easiest. (I do have to admit that I haven't used Flash CS to work with ANEs, only Flash Builder at this point.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 10:50 AM   in reply to Joe ... Ward

@Joe...Ward:  A bit off topic but I can't seem to find out anything about the below.  I am wondering itf it is also an issue in Flash Builder.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/910973?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 1:21 AM   in reply to As<3

Guys,

At last I found some time and managed to test both the captive package and the native extentensions.

All went well.

Now I have done "from scratch" an application that has the captive runtime and that vibrates the phone.

Thanks to everyone.

P.S. Obviosly now I'm wating for a native extension "officially" supported  for displaying Admob banners in my app and I'm done :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 7:55 AM   in reply to As<3

Hi,

I've made a complete working example for publishing an application with captive runtime, assets and native extensions starting from Flash CS5.5

I was able to make it thanks to hints and suggestions I found in this thread.

Note: english is not my native tongue so I hope you understand what I've written also if sometime it sounds "engrish".

Here it is the link to the zip file:

http://www.genereavventura.com/hosted/Air3NativeExtensions/AirVibrate. zip

Requirements:

- You must have Flash cs5.5 pro (obviously)

- You must have installed the overlay for Air3.0 sdk on your Flash cs5.5 pro

Here it is a link that explain how to accomplish it: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3939712

Here the steps I made.

1) Open Flash CS5.5 and create a new AIR for Android application

2) Add the swc to the libraries used by your FLA (open Actionscript 3.0 settings and add "VibrationActionScriptLibrary.swc")

Btw, you can find this "ready to use" native extension inside the zipfile that you can download from here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/native-extensions-for-air/extensions/v ibration.html

However in my example you will find also a directory named "extension" that contains it.

3) Open and then close the "air for android settings": by doing this Flash will create yourapp-app.xml file in the directory where your FLA resides.

For example my fla is named "vibrate.fla" so Flash created for me a "vibrate-app.xml" file.

4) Make a copy of this "vibrate-app.xml" file by naming it "real-vibrate-app.xml" (or choose whatever name you want)

I've done this because after modyfing the original one by adding the <extension> tag (see below) I wasn't able to test my app from within Flash IDE (when I compile it it simply doesn't start)

Instead by doing this all worked fine.

5) Edit the "real-vibrate-app.xml" file by adding somewhere these lines (I added it just before the <initialWindow> tag)

<extensions>

<extensionID>com.adobe.Vibration</extensionID>

</extensions>

6) Add <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.VIBRATE"/> in the <android> <manifestAdditions> part in "real-vibrate-app.xml" file.

You should do something like this:

<android>

<manifestAdditions>

<![CDATA[<manifest>

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.VIBRATE"/>

</manifest>]]>

</manifestAdditions>

</android>

7) Develop your application

I made a simple one that loads an external jpg and shows it on the stage: then the user can tap on it to make the phone vibrate.

The function "doVibration" is called only when the app is running on Android Device so I do not get any executions error when I run the app from within Flash Ide

8) Publish and test it to your USB connected device by launching the "publish.bat" file I have created

Open a dos prompt and move to your project directory then type publish.bat and press enter.

Note: it can be that you have to edit the bat file in order to change the path to the ADT tool that comes with Air3.0 sdk

It should be in [your adobe flash cs5.5 directory]\AIR2.6\bin\adt (rememeber, you must have installed the Air3.0 sdk overlying the old Air2.6/2.7 in the AIR2.6 directory)

Inside the bat file you can change easily the target type (captive or not) simply by commenting/decommenting the right line.

Captive version is about 8Mb more than the normal one but the big deal is that the user that installs it do not need the air runtime installed on his phone!

The "big line" that creates the package is the following one:

call %ADT_LINK% -package -target %TARGET_TYPE% -storetype pkcs12 -keystore certificate/vibrate.p12 -storepass android AirVibrate.apk real-vibrate-app.xml -extdir extensions vibrate.swf icons assets

where:

call %ADT_LINK%          it's just the path to the ADT tool

-package                 it's the command that we want ADT to execute

-target %TARGET_TYPE%    captive/non captive version

-storetype pkcs12        certificate related

-keystore certificate/vibrate.p12  path to your self signed certificate

-storepass android       certificate related, I created the example certificate with "android" password and this parameters tell ADT to always use it without prompting

AirVibrate.apk           the name of the Apk

real-vibrate-app.xml     the apk-xml to use that is the one we modified manually above

-extdir extensions       it's the path to the directory that contains the native extension

vibrate.swf              the main swf

icons                    the icons directory

assets                   the assets directory (where I put the external jpg)

That's all.

If everything is correct, the batch file creates the AirVibrate.apk then installs it on your attached usb device and run it.

When you tap over the Android image that will appear, your phone should vibrate.

Now.. does someone wants to develop a Native Extension to show Admob banners in our Android Air Applications?

If I missed something, please let me know.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 8:34 AM   in reply to BaronKarza

Thank you for that.

Here's another useful resource, Brent's iBrent YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/iBrent

He has posted a few new ones today, that include things like how to overlay AIR3.0 onto CS5.5, and how to compile an app that has native extensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2011 5:52 AM   in reply to Colin Holgate

I have vibration and toasts working in my apps.  Agree that admob would be a great addition.  Another good one (if possible) would be a native listview control.  I cannot seem to find a good one made in flash that will allow me as good of a user experience as stock android.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points