Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I fix this photo?

Oct 3, 2011 6:36 PM

Tags: #photoshop #photo_fix

I'm fairly new to photoshop but know the basics. I often get photos like this. I've searched for tutorials but can't find any good ones. Anyone have a link to a tutorial or could point me in the right direction. I've tryed brightness/contrast, shadows/highlights and had a go at levels.

Photo1.jpg

Lightening the image or doing a shadow/highlight works for some of the image but the man at the back is still in the dark.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2011 7:03 PM   in reply to Aussie_leah

Many ways. try opening in camera raw and using the luminance sliders in the reds or oranges to lighten it, or you could dupe the layer and put it on screen mode,and then brush him lighter to your liking. sure others will offer a multitude of other options as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 2:38 AM   in reply to Donald Reese

I've tryed brightness/contrast, shadows/highlights and had a go at levels.

Hopefully you are doing the Adjustments as Adjustment layers and Shadows/Highlights as a Smart Filter.

You can stack several Adjustments atop one another and apply Layer Masks to them, for example a Hue/Saturation limited to Reds and set to a somewhat decreased Saturation might help with the person to the right.

or you could dupe the layer and put it on screen mode,and then brush him lighter to your liking.

An empty Adjustment Layer set to Blend Mode Screen works just as fine but takes less disk space.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 10:02 AM   in reply to Aussie_leah

Hello,

Is this something like what you want?  If so I’ll try and explain how to do this.  I pre-apologize for having lost the bookmark to the video that fully explains this process.Photo1.jpg

Once in photoshop, go to levels and move the right and left sliders to the edges of your histogram, create a new layer (layer 1), change the color to gray, set the mode to overlay, reduce the opacity to 50% click ok.  Select your paint brush, set opacity to 20%, leave the flow at 100%.  Set your default foreground and background colors to black & white – now paint over the image, white removes color, black will add color.  Changes will be minor, you may have to paint over the subject several times – do not use a hard brush.  Once you have the photo adjusted to your satisfaction, click “Ctrl, Alt,, Shift and the letter E” all at the same time, this will create a new layer (layer 2) above the previous.  You should now have three layers, with the most recent at the top, with that layer active go to “Filter”, select “Other” from the dropdown menu, select “High Pass” adjust the radius to around 0.5 or 0.6, click ok.  With that layer still active right mouse click on layer 2, select blending options, change the blending mode to “Overlay” leave everything else at 100%  This will sharpen the image slightly.  If you have changed the radius to much delete layer 2 and repeat “Ctrl, Alt, Shift & E” and decrease the radius.  This may sound convoluted, in actuality it is very simple once having gone through the process.

Good Luck!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points