Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Some Serious Bugs in Multicam

Oct 7, 2011 12:02 PM

Why has nobody fixed these major bugs? Makes the multicam feature Complete **** and unusable.

I have 3 cameras on a wedding shoot. Synced em all up using PLural Eyes, make a multicam sequence and dropped it in there. Enabled multicam. So not only does the audio not work only (only left channel), but the multicam is completely full of crap! My third camera wasn't on the whole time, it was short clips. So whenever my third camera would shut off, the fricken multicam desides to always switch to the default camera as soon as the third camera goes off. Who the heck would do that? Causes more problems. Not only this, but if my third camera goes off, the video display goes red and DISABLES my choice, I can't switch to a second camera! Why would I want to switch to my second camera? Well my third camera went off, which by defualt, the multicrap decides to go to defualt camera, which happens to be the third camera, so it goes to a blank screen! and the multicrap outlines a red box which disables my camera and I cant choose another camera until the third camera comes back on! What balony crap coding  nonsense is this?

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 7, 2011 12:43 PM   in reply to emin3m33

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 7, 2011 1:19 PM   in reply to emin3m33

emin3m33 wrote:

Adobe pays no attention to that.

That is incorrect. Every submission via the BR/FR form is read and analyzed.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 7:35 PM   in reply to emin3m33

I do three camera weddings and stage events myself.  Never had any issues with Premiere Pro's multicam.

I do sync them manually, though, not using PluralEyes.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2011 7:43 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

You could fix this problem by keeping your camera on. Why shut it off durring a wedding?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2011 9:59 AM   in reply to emin3m33

As a professional wedding videographer, I have to agree with the suggestion to leave the camera on.  Once you're rolling, just don't stop until the end of the event (or a tape/card change forces it).  This is the best, easiest work flow.

As for Adobe fixing this problem, like I said, I've never had any real problems with Premiere Pro's multicam, so that makes me suspect there is no real bug here.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2011 10:37 AM   in reply to emin3m33

The only reason to start and stop your camera is if you are not organized

enough to have a big enough memory card and power to allow it. I don't care

if you change posititions go to the bathroom or just have an attitude but

never stop your camera, it can run for two hours or more if needed. I would

be interested in hearing your 25 reasons. I shoot multicam every month,

sometimes several times and never have had to turn off a camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 1:38 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I'm sure an interesting discussion could be had on the many good or bad reasons to turn cameras on or off, but the OP is commenting on the odd behavior of the multicam window.  I can confirm it happens to me as well.  When a clip ends in one track, the selection swithches to the default camera, and you have to stop and restart the sequence to be able to edit again.  This is particularly annoying using footage from the XF300, where there is a new clip every 5 minutes and 13 seconds. (I have CS5).

This behavior started in CS4, and continued in CS5.  I don't know about CS5.5.  It's not super-serious, but it is a pain, and denying it exists is not helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 9:13 AM   in reply to Bill Engeler

When a clip ends in one track, the selection swithches to the default camera

Well duh!  That's not a bug.  You can't select a camera angle with no media in it.

So you put the camera with continuous clips in the lowest tracks, and the camera where the operator turned the camera off in the higher tracks.  If you have a higher track selected when the media runs out, the behavior you see is normal.  Either switch before it runs out, or keep restarting your edit.  (See why we say never turn off the camera?)

Spanned clips should not be an issue here for two reasons.  Either Premiere Pro will read it as a single clip, assuming you're handling the media properly.  Or you adjoin the two clips in the original sequence, so there are no gaps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 2:40 PM   in reply to emin3m33

Have you tried setting up your multicam sequence by making sure your default camera has continuous media?  I think that's what Jim was getting at.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 3:20 PM   in reply to emin3m33

I think you failed to understand the issue here.

Possibly.  While I will still argue in favor of keeping the camera rolling for any multicamea edit, I have hired videographers who can't follow directions and turned their camera off anyway.  But in those situations, I always put that camera on a higher track.  Track one always has continuous media.

And I've never had a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 3:44 PM   in reply to emin3m33

I am not having this issue. ever.

and i even don't always have continuous video in the default track, i've just edited a concert shot with 4 cameras, all of them turned off sometimes due to various reasons, but no trouble to sync them, so i had holes in all 4 video tracks,

i just went back to the project to try to reconstruct your "bug" and failed to get the multicam to stop.

maybe you might try it without plural eyes?

maybe you might try reading this?:  http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSC29F4BF4-C2EA-4ad5- 879E-778C2740A768.html

emin3m33 wrote:

are you serious? or are u a serious amatuer? I can list at least 25 reasons why. But I cant list one reason why adobe would lock my choice from choosing a camera.

and maybe you might think about being nice to people, you're expecting help from,

so you might also want to try reading this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414764#

good luck with your wedding edit and make sure to try Jim&Jeffs suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 4:55 AM   in reply to emin3m33

In dealing with a similar issue I added a Render Tracks step to my workflow.

After I sync my clips using PluralEyes, I then render out each track. (OMG - generation loss from multiple renders)

I drop these full program length videos on tracks and multicam. (Cam 1, 2, 3)

This leaves me with No Gaps or Stops in the footage. (Gaps are now Black Spaces)

When I render out my Tracks after synching, I usually include the 'Good Audio' with all the renders.

These renders are usually pretty quick.

I just completed a 2Day (16Hr) / 3Cam Seminar like this and had No Problems what-so-ever.

If anyone has a better Work-a-Round... please share!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points