Skip navigation
BagpussLondon
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat Professional 8.1.6 patch problem

Aug 20, 2009 2:35 AM

I started with a fresh install of Mac OS X 10.5.8. Installed Acrobat Professional 8 from disk, then went through all 7 or so incremental updates (why no rollup install????). All went fine until the last patch, at which point I get the "Update failed" message - because the original application has been modified since it was originally installed.

I only installe the app about half an hour ago!! And the only changes that could have been made are by Adobe patches!

As for the suggestions at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407621.html, well the first one doesn't work, and the second is just idiotic. It's a brand new installation of everything!

What to do?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2009 5:59 AM   in reply to BagpussLondon

BagpussLondon wrote:

I started with a fresh install of Mac OS X 10.5.8. Installed Acrobat Professional 8 from disk, then went through all 7 or so incremental updates (why no rollup install????). All went fine until the last patch, at which point I get the "Update failed" message - because the original application has been modified since it was originally installed.

I only installe the app about half an hour ago!! And the only changes that could have been made are by Adobe patches!

As for the suggestions at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407621.html, well the first one doesn't work, and the second is just idiotic. It's a brand new installation of everything!

What to do?

Thanks!

Try the Following first: go to adobe.com and when page opens choose updates. Look for update for 8.0. Find the one for 8.1.6. Download and try to install.

Try the following Second: to google search on your web browser. Type in AppleJack and search. Download and install the version for OSX.5.

Next restart in Single User Mode Command-S (Apple Key-S).

After a Black screen appears and a bunch of text appears then stops, you will see a Blinking box style cursor. Type at that point applejack.

Read the instructions and, run test in order, 3 & 4 you will have to run twice once for system, once for each User name, type it in form they show.

Once all test have been run, quit as per instructions and Reboot. When Computer restarts it will take a long time to get started as it will have to rebuild scratch files and Cache files.

Do not be alarmed if you see a blue screen for up to a minute, and a Grey start up screen with winder symbol for another minute. (Might not be this long, but could be).

If test 1. detects errors that it didn't fix on first pass , repeat until they are fixed. If they cannot be fixed you might have to reinstall system. usually they end up fixed on first pass.

Finally: once restarted from AppleJack try running installer you downloaded. you may or may not get the typical screen where you see a progress bar.

Open acrobat and do about Acrobat. look in lower left corner for version.

One thing that will prevent things going bump when installing a patch through acrobat; switch back to acrobat after the download begins and quit Acrobat. Why Adobe doesn't do this I will never know. All other applications I have run into quit the application befor actually installing anything.

Oh, and I agree its dumb to not roll previous updates into the new update, But Adobe has always done this way, and claim it keeps the size down.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2009 7:49 PM   in reply to BagpussLondon

The advantage to using AppleJack is that it helps keep your Mac tuned up. even on new Macs Files can have minor problems. Sometimes the minor problems can cause strange problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2010 11:12 PM   in reply to BagpussLondon

I have exact the same problem you have. Reinstalled Acrobat 8.1 from dvd, installed the patches up to 8.1.5 and then 8.1.6. suddenly claims that something has been changed in in Acrobat. Well, I didn't do it! After each update I started Acrobat to check the version and then closed it again without doing something. Have you found a solution for this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2010 5:46 AM   in reply to BagpussLondon

AppleJack 1.5.x (x means a number) now supports Leopard (OSX.5.8), not Snow Leopard (OSX.6)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2010 8:21 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Thanks for your reply Phillip, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately I do use 10.6 so Applejack is noi an option. But even so, it seems strange that there is no solution in the normal updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 12:13 AM   in reply to BagpussLondon

Thanks. I guess the chances of Adobe solving our problem are about nil

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2010 3:35 PM   in reply to BagpussLondon

There is an issue when going from 8.1.4/8.1.5 to 8.1.6.

Adobe says you can install from 8.1.3 to 8.1.6 to prevent this problem.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/491/cpsid_49167.html

Use the updater to get to version 8.1.3 and then go download the update file for 8.1.6.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2010 5:07 PM   in reply to BagpussLondon

I've had the same problem with trying to update beyond 8.1.5. Always the same error message about the application being modified so the installer can't work. My own thought is that it is the OS10.5.8 update which broke the chain.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2010 10:37 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

This answer seems to apply to the Windows version so I haven't tried it. Anybody did? There was en customer satisfaction enquiry on the site so I used that to inform them of this problem (again).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2010 6:37 AM   in reply to BagpussLondon

I have only tried this on Windows, but doing a little digging I believe there is a way to get the updates to work for Mac.

Please read through the logic below.  All links are for adobe products and I am not trying to get you to download any third party application to fix this issue.

Looking at the Windows 8.1.6 update page it does have a Note stating that you can apply the update to 8.1.3, 8.1.4, or 8.1.5

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4487

Looking at the Mac 8.1.6 update page it says that you can only apply the update to 8.1.5

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4503

However, in the first paragraph there is a link to Release Notes.  If you click the link from either page it goes to the same update.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/491/cpsid_49167.html (Reposted from my last post)

If you look in the Document details to the right it has a list of OS the update is for and Mac is listed there.  Also if you scroll down the page it shows Mac info.

Finally take a look at the 3rd paragraph of the release notes:

"Adobe Acrobat or Reader 8.1.6 cannot be applied to a 8.1.4 or 8.1.5 AIP or a system where the application was installed using a 8.1.4 or 8.1.5 AIP.  If the system was updated to 8.1.4 or 8.1.5 by running a patch  then running the 8.1.6 patch will cause the system to be successfully updated."

When you have Acrobat automatically update your product, or manually start the update checker, they have to use the Updater.api. 

From the first sentence they state that if you used the API to install 8.1.4 or 8.1.5 than 8.1.6 can't be applied.

The second sentence is saying if you didn't use the API for update 8.1.4 and 8.1.5 you can update to 8.1.6.

For windows I was able to go from 8.1.3 to 8.1.6 without any issues.  For Mac it looks you can't skip over any updates.

For Mac I would go to the update download page and manually download the updates for 8.1.3, 8.1.4, 8.1.5, 8.1.6 and than install them without using the update feature in Acrobat.  Here is the link for the Mac updates  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform= Macintosh

After you get done with 8.1.6 you should be able to use the API updater again or you may just want to install them individually.

Let us know what happens if you try it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2010 7:26 AM   in reply to BagpussLondon

While I'm not a Mac person I do have Snow Leopard installed at home.

I will give the install a shot Wed or Thursday evening and let you know what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 12:56 PM   in reply to BagpussLondon

Sorry for the delay on getting this tested.

So I was able to go from a fresh install of Acrobat Pro v 8.0 to v 8.2.2 on a Mac.

I have Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.2) installed on an intel based machine. 

My Mac version of Acrobat 8 is a download and not from a DVD.

Acrobat 8 has never been installed since reinstalling the OS on a new Hard Drive.

This is where I downloaded all the updates

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform= Macintosh

Since I have an English version of the software my main goal was to get the English friendly updates.

No updates were downloaded using the Acrobat Updater since this seems to cause issues with installing v8.1.6.

After installing each update Acrobat was launched and the About information was checked to confirm the update.

After installing the last update the Acrobat Updater was used to confirm all updates were applied.

All updates below installed without any errors.

VersionLangSizeDate CreatedNotes
    8.1.0English, F, G, and J31.3 MB06/05/2007Bottom choice of the 3
    8.1.1Multiple1.9 MB10/22/2007Only choice
    8.1.2Multiple5.5 MB02/06/2008Bottom choice.  DID NOT install the Security Update
    8.1.3Multiple32 MB11/04/2008Only choice
    8.1.4Multiple10.9 MB03/18/2009Bottom choice of the 3.  This one had English listed.
    8.1.5Multiple3652 KB05/12/2009Only choice
    8.1.6Multiple2.77 MB06/09/2009Only choice
    8.1.7Multiple31.96 MB10/13/2009Only choice
    8.2.0Multiple12.1 MB01/12/2010Only choice
    8.2.1Multiple8.88 MB02/16/2010Only choice
    8.2.2Multiple28.8 MB04/13/2010Only choice

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 1:50 PM   in reply to r_cwalker

After doing the install above I uninstalled Acrobat and reinstalled it.

This time I used the Updater and was able to go from 8.0 to 8.2.2

The Updater software was updated first.

Than the updates went in this order

8.0 (my install)

8.1.3 (70.7 MB)

8.1.4 (21.5 MB)

8.1.5 (3.6 MB)

8.1.6 (2.7 MB)

8.1.7 (32 MB)

8.2.2 (?? MB)

There were no errors on any of the installs and Acrobat opened without any problems after each update.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 9:55 PM   in reply to r_cwalker

I have Acrobat Professional 8.1 (received bundled with a Fujitsu scanner) which installed on OS X 10.6.3 from the original disk, but crashes immediately. Do I understand correctly that to work with Snow Leopard I must update to Acrobat 8.2, and to do this must start from 8.0? If that's the case, how/where can I download a copy of 8.0?  It doesn't appear to be available on Adobe's web site, and I have been unable to find any other source.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 10:55 PM   in reply to daco53

This treat is about us being unable to upgrade past 8.1.5, your question is somewhat different but I'll try to answer it.

You're scanner wil work with the original 8.1 disks under Snow Leopard, these upgrades are there to fix bugs but I haven't had any problems running 8.1 like it is. Just like you my copy came with a Fujitsu scanner and I currently use 8.1.5. You do need the original 8.1 disk to start with, so if yours do not work you need to have them replaced by good ones. Adobe, I guess understandably, does not offer full versions for download from their site for free.

You probably have to find out first if your problem is about damaged disks or an incompatibility with your current 10.6 setup.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 5:48 PM   in reply to ComProces

Sorry for the delay replying.

After some fits and starts I have now been able to update Acrobat to 8.2.2 installing each patch from 8.1 on. The problem was not a damaged disk (Fujitsu provided me with another complete copy of 8.1), but presumably a Snow Leopard incompatability.

Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2010 6:45 PM   in reply to r_cwalker

Thanks that really helped for my 10.6.4 MacBookPro.    I hope it will work on my 10.5.8 MacPro.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2011 3:15 PM   in reply to BagpussLondon

Has anyone else tried this 8.0 to 8.2.2 update workaround with success, to avoid the 8.1.6 Patch problem?

CS3 Mac on Snow Leopard is so temperamental, I cannot even now uninstall my 8.1.5 version back to 8.0 to try the above suggestion.

Just need to know if others have gotten past 8.1.5 before I invest the effort...

Thanks,

Josef

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2011 8:42 AM   in reply to BagpussLondon

Got it! At least for me, installing on a clean OS 10.4.11. I used the original Adobe Design Suite Premium CS3 image to repair my Acrobat install back to 8.0 and started the incremental backups one by one, with two differences:

(1) There was an 8.1.2 Security patch that I skipped. I DID install the straight 8.1.2 update (after 8.1 and 8.1.1 yadayada) and then 8.1.3.

(2) I downloaded the third of the three 8.1.4 updaters - it's only listed as Acrobat but when you download, you'll see it's Acrobat Pro. The original 8.1.4 I had downloaded came down as "AcroProUpd814_all_me.dmg" but the third (mis-named) came down as "AcroProUpd814_all.dmg". Hey Adobe, somebody go label these correctly so the rest of us don't repeat!

After that I continued on with the incremental updates and everything went through, including 8.1.6.

Hope this helps for the rest of you!

-Nora

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2011 9:55 AM   in reply to widowjack

Thanks, Nora.

I wrestled with that last 8.1.6 patch failure for years. (A clean OS install didn't seem worth the effort.) Then, I had to upgrade CS for work, purchasing 10.x--making the patch a moot point now.

Hope you advice helps others.

Best,

Josef

JOSEF S. KLUS

(310) 313-3010 • 12080 Lamanda St. No. 4, LA CA 90066

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 5:25 AM   in reply to widowjack

Thank you, Nora. I will try this.

Dear Adobe. I used to love you but now all that is left is anger. I mean seriously: do you guys really think our job is forum research, try and error attempts at solving software and update issues, applying patches manually, etc, etc. ?

We pay big money for this software to work while our customers pay us for the products we deliver, not for spending heurs, days, weeks trying to figure out what is wrong with our software!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to BagpussLondon

The problem is caused by the Adobe PDFViewer Safari plug-in.

I had the same problem -- not being able to complete update 8.1.6 -- when I tried to install Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 on my MacBook Air running Mountain Lion 10.8.  I started with a DVD with 8.1.0 that came with my Fujitsu ScanSnap S510M.

By lots of trial and error, I discovered that you need to trash Adobe PDFViewer Safair plug-in.

The process:

1.  Trash Adobe PDFViewer Safari plug-in from the folder [HD]/Library/Internet Plugins.

2.  Re-install Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.x from the DVD.  You will get a dialog box suggesting that you install Adobe PDFViewer plug-in. Uncheck the box and click on Continue.

3.  Download the sequence of updates from 8.x through 8.3.1.

4.  Install the updates in sequence starting with the first after version 8.x on the DVD.  Many of them will display the

dialog box suggesting that you install Adobe PDFViewer plug-in. Uncheck the box and click on Continue.

After you have installed update 8.3.1, launch Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.3.1.

In Mountain Lion 10.8.x you'll get a display of the Mac OS 9 black-and-white wrist watch!  Just move the pointer to the menu bar and select the command you want.  Everything will be fine.

It is really lame that Adobe requires us to install a sequence of 17 +/-  updates in order to install Acrobat Professional 8 and bring it up to date on a new machine.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points