Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Viewer Builder 1.5.1 with Newsstand support is now available! Download Details

Oct 10, 2011 9:16 AM

Hi everyone,

I am delighted to announce the release of Viewer Builder 1.5.1. What's new in this update? iOS 5 Newsstand support! Lots of you have been asking for it and we are pleased to provide it in advance of Apple's iOS 5 release on October 12th. In the interest of releasing this update quickly I have shared the new client installer here:

https://acrobat.com/#d=VUF3T7VQuexRvtltwp34Yg

It will be available on the Digital Publishing Portal (https://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com/app.html) from midday PST.

Please note that in order to create a Newsstand-capable app you must create a Subscription Viewer in Viewer Builder and it must be a V15 Viewer.

Jonathan Ferman, Viewer Builder Product Manager

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2011 11:26 AM   in reply to Jonathan Ferman

To DPS users,

Im getting the following error "You do not have access to the Viewer Builder service within the Digital Publishing Suite" on trying to access the new 1.5.1 Newsstand update.

Is this service available to all users.

Regards

Vividi

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 11:54 AM   in reply to vividi

It used to be Subscribers only but I'm not sure what the gig is with Single Edition users.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 11:58 AM   in reply to Jonathan Ferman

Hi, i got the failure message when uploading the distribution file with the application loader:

"This bundle is invalid. Apple is not currently accepting applications built with this version of the SDK, Xcode. (1091)

so what next?!

best jan

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Oct 10, 2011 3:50 PM   in reply to Jan Schwieger

Is your version of the iPhone SDK up to date? Try downloading a more recent version.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 11:40 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

HI Bob, i just build the viewer apps with the new builder 1.5.1 and wanted to transfer them to apple. So  i didn't changed anything of the viewers with the SDK - or does the viewer builder uses the version of my computer?!

best jan

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2011 5:31 AM   in reply to Jonathan Ferman

Hi there

I just update my Viewer Builder to 1.5.1, and rebuild my app, but there is nothing asking to be "embed/integrate" in Newsstand... Wll it be automatic?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Oct 11, 2011 6:38 AM   in reply to minia92

Did you select v15 for Version? Is your viewer a subscription app?

Sent from my iPad

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2011 6:51 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Yes I select v15, but my app is free (mutifolio). But i see nothing reagarding Newsstand.... Because We really want to have our free mag available also on Newsstand...

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Oct 11, 2011 6:56 AM   in reply to minia92

Your viewer MUST be a subscription app. The Newsstand options don't appear for non-subscription multi-folio viewers.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2011 7:15 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

But I read that Newsstand will also include free mag

See below ...

Free apps can participate. While Newsstand is aimed at encouraging paid subscriptions and  single-issue sales, apps that do not charge for content can participate.  Free apps can still push a background issue download once a day, or  update with the latest news when opened, as they do now.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/media-lab/mobile-media/148122/apple -expected-to-introduce-newsstand-today-at-iphone-5-event/

Please can you tell me more ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Oct 11, 2011 8:51 AM   in reply to minia92

The Viewer Builder lets you enable Newsstand only for subscription apps. From Apple's documentation: "To submit a Newsstand app, your app must be enabled for Newsstand, offer at least one auto-renewable In-App Purchase subscription, and ..."

At this time, Apple does not let you create free subscriptions, but they may change that soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2011 9:14 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Ok thanks Bob... hope that it will be changed

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 2:48 AM   in reply to minia92

Apple already have introduced free subscription for newsstand. You can create one in iTunesConnect

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 6:24 AM   in reply to densmirnov-Osh5Xw

So you mean that when I submit my free App to Apple, their is a "notification/part" to tick to enable for Newsstand ??

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 1:29 PM   in reply to Jonathan Ferman

SOLVED

We are Professional Edition Users of the DPS.

We have been releasing multi-folio viewers without issue until this week.

We have downloaded the new Viewer Builder v15.

Even after turning off iCloud compatibility and regenerating provisioning files (and redoing the process with iCloud compatibility) we are still getting errors when trying to submit a viewer that say "Invalid Code Signing Entitlements" after the viewer has been uploaded to iTunes Connect.

The "Entitlement" options in the Viewer Builder are grayed out and cannot be accessed (v15). Why?

The "Newsstand" options in the Viewer Builder are grayed out and cannot be accessed. (v15) Why?

With our Professional Edition of DPS we do not have subscription capabilities. How can we enable our content for Newsstand?

Is this Service only available for Enterprise?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 2:33 PM   in reply to vividi

To Dps users like Myself,

Looks like this Service is only available to professional or enterprise users, Why not everyone seeing the Apple Newsstand is also available for free content also anyone like to comment.

Regards

Vividi

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 2:33 AM   in reply to Jonathan Ferman

HI Jonathan

In the Viewer Builder, there is no Option for Newwstand.... Maybe you are talking about ItunesConnect when submitting the app to Apple?

Please Advise or send me a screen shot. Here is one of my Adobe Viewer Builder (V15)

THis is Strange because I have this "Kiosque" option (means Library or maybe Newsstand) but It goes Directly from "Icons & Splash screens" to "Mobile Prov & Push notification" tab.... Can you help please

Capture d’écran 2011-10-13 à 11.21.59.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 3:16 AM   in reply to minia92

Go to Viewer Details page (first one), from drop down menu (Viewer Type) choose iTunes Subsription.

For already existing viewers you have to build your viewer from the ground. Drop down menu is grayed and inactive in that case.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 3:48 AM   in reply to Lukasz Kawecki

Super Lukas, it was effectively in gray, so now it is ok when rebuilding from scratch the app.

Can you give me some explanation for this "Itunes subscription" ? because we want our app to be free (and also the content). What is the differences with the "multi folio hosted by Adobe Server" ?

Will readers have to enter ID Password ? Pay for something?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 8:08 AM   in reply to Jonathan Ferman

I was able to build a v15 Subscription-Newsstand-App, but in the developer version of this app the subscription banners do not appear. How am I able to test the subscription-purchase.

I already set-up the app with an auto-renewable subscription in iTunes Connect having the same product-id as given under "newsstand" in the viewer builder. What do I miss? Does anyone have a hint?

Thank you in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 9:16 AM   in reply to minia92

@ minia92 - You ask very basic questions. Please go back to iPad Publishing Companion Guide + Using Digital Publishing Suite (both available from DPS Dashboard) + iTunesConnect Developer Guide. 

iTunes Subcription stands for multi folio hosted by Adobe Server plus in-app subcription.

@ Michalea - testing should be made, as always, in Sandbox Enviroment.  If it comes to banners - probably you made sth wrong in Viewer Builder. It should appear in developer build. Are you missing those banners?

Landscape Subscription Tile Specify a 463x135-pixel background image that describes the Apple subscription when the iPad is sideways.

Portrait Subscription Tile Specify a 331x180-pixel background image that describes the Apple subscription when the iPad is upright.

VB should not let you go to the next configuration screen when files are missing or incorrect.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 9:29 AM   in reply to Lukasz Kawecki

Thanks for your reply, Lukas. It's weird. It is the fourth build I am doing, but no banners appear. I designed them in the given dimensions as PNG and insert them in the form in viewer builder. Still they don't appear in my kiosk. It looks like just before (without subscription banners). So I am unable to test the purchase, als there is no button for "subscription". Eben without banners shouldn't there be at least the button?

iTunes subscription is activated for my app as well as newsstand. The small newsstand image (which is shown before the in-app issues are loaded) does work.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 10:11 AM   in reply to Michaela Lehr

Did you set-up in-app subscription correctly in iTunesConnect? Did you use the same subscriptions' ID in Viewer Builder?

Just in case - delete old .ipa file related to the app both from the device and desktop computer. Download again from VB and send to the device again. I would say it is not an iTunes subscription viewer. Lack of "subscribe" button on nav bar is really confusing...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 10:29 AM   in reply to Lukasz Kawecki

Well.. I give up. It doesn't work. I tried everything:

1. Delete (Newsstand)-App on the Device

2. Delete App in iTunes

3. Create and download new App with viewer builder -- 7 times by now

4. even deleten viewer builder and downloaded/installed it again from digitalpublishing.acrobat.com

5. every time i checked if the subscription prouct ID in iTunes Connect was the same as given in the viewer builder

6. the given PNG are in the correct size, i even tried to put in images with a wrong size -- they aren't accepted

EDIT: Well i even started a complete new app via the Button "New" in viewer builder, same result: nothing.

Does the option "Newspaper" / "Magazine" change anything? I didn't try this.

Otherwise I seem to be out of options. Maybe resetting the iPad, but I had big troubles last night getting it to run again

Maybe there's a problem with the german edition of viewr builder?!

So, when is there coming the next (working) version of viewer builder?

Message was edited by: Michaela Lehr

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 3:33 AM   in reply to Jonathan Ferman

(MAINLY) SOLVED

Well, i think I could solve it. The behaviour is a little misleading, weird and hard for testing purposes.

The following was the situation:

1. My publications in production are still on the account from prerelease phase. It's still not possible to transfer them automnatically to a new account. I didn't find the time yet to produce them again on a new account, but I am working on that (mostly there are appearing some errors when producing prerelease InDesign-files with the new tools, so some improvements still have to be made)

2. Anyway I produced some of the publications to a new account and used the viewer builder to produce an app for the new account.

3. When I first started the Kiosk, I was able to see the subscription banner and even make the subscription pruchase.

4. After having subscriped (I only over one subscription length of 6 months) the banner disappers.

5. It's not possible to bring the banner back, even while logging in with a differnt test user

First of all I'm happy, that I found out, what is responsible for this behaviour. Still some concerns stay:

A. Why wasn't the banner viewable in the "old" prerelease account?

B. How should I test different banner designs? It's not even possible to change them on the fly... I can't see them any more. It's like flying blind

Well to all of you: good (more) luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 4:26 AM   in reply to Michaela Lehr

Many factors, many fators... If your prerelease account has been successfully transfered into paid DPS account - your problems should have nothing in common with accounts.

Did you use Sandbox for testing developmnet build? Test purchase of 6 months long subscription lasts 1 hour or so - go to iTunes Connect Guide. After this your banner shoould be back. Banner dissapers after succesfull subscripton buy. That's standard for App Store apps behaviour. To do a many tests as possible I would reccomend erasing the device. We are doing it this way. Test, erase, test erase. To test a new banner design you have to just rebuild your viewer, download it again, send to iPad. Thats all.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 4:33 AM   in reply to Lukasz Kawecki

Thank you very much, Lukas, for your help and support.

I made screenshots and now I am "testing" the banners directly in Photoshop. Sot I see how they look inside the Kiosk and with the "Subscription" button on it.

The prerelease account should be a real paid DPS account, but I had many problems with it. So I am changig to a new account anywhere (especially because I can't manage 4 issues, that we still made with drop 11 Tools). Now at last I have a timeline for improving and redoing the "old" issues again: I want them ready when my newsstand App comes out hopefully within the enxt 2 weeks.

Thanks again for your help

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 7:02 AM   in reply to Jonathan Ferman

Hello,

we successfully built a v15 Subscription-Newsstand-App and published it.

Now we get complaints from iPad1-users that they can't see the subscription tile or the subscription button.

Other iPad1-Users don't seem to have this problem and iPad2-Users don't report the problem at all.

For the moment we can only advise users to delete their app and reload it via the App Store.

Did we make a mistake in the building process or is there anything else we can do?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2011 5:57 AM   in reply to Jonathan Ferman

Hi Jonathan,

i am not sure which information you need.

I was able to inspect one of the iPads (iPad1/iOS5) that isn't showing the subscription tile/button. It surely is the new app, as it appears in the newsstand – that means it has to be the subscription-app, otherwise it wouldn't appear there.

I checked if accidently the user allready subscribed, so that the tile wouldn't appear any more – there was no subscription.

So all i can say for sure at the moment is: there are reportedly 4 iPads (all iPad1) that wouldn't show the subscription tile/button.

I very much hoped it would be some minor setting in the iPad that causes the problem, but I coudn't find anything.

What othe information could you need from me?

Do you have any other idea? Any help is appreciated.

kenji a.k.a. Berlin2011

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2011 8:10 AM   in reply to Jonathan Ferman

Dear Jonathan,

the problem ceased to occur after we uploaded the next publication.

I hope this helps if anybody else has got the same problem.

Best,

Martin

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to Art_Dept_NAMG

Hello,

i have a problem:

Dear developer,

We have discovered one or more issues with your recent delivery for "XY". To process your delivery, the following issues must be corrected:

Invalid Code Signing Entitlements - The signature for your app bundle contains entitlement values that are not supported. For the com.apple.developer.ubiquity-container-identifiers entitlement, the first value in the array must consist of the prefix provided by Apple in the provisioning profile followed by a bundle identifier suffix. The bundle identifier must match the bundle identifier for one of your apps or another app that you are permitted to use as the iCloud container identifier.

Specifically, value "D000000000.*" for key "com.apple.developer.ubiquity-container-identifiers" in viewer is not supported.

Invalid Code Signing Entitlements - The signature for your app bundle contains entitlement values that are not supported.

Specifically, value "D000000000.*" for key "com.apple.developer.ubiquity-kvstore-identifier" in viewer is not supported.

Once these issues have been corrected, go to the Version Details page and click "Ready to Upload Binary." Continue through the submission process until the app status is "Waiting for Upload." You can then deliver the corrected binary.

Regards,

The App Store team

Is tehe anyone, who can help me?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points