Skip navigation
larrydart
Currently Being Moderated

Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Oct 11, 2011 8:49 AM

Tags: #file #photoshop #problem #cs5 #windows

I've got Photoshop CS5 extended and run Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. All fully updated.

I've been using this Photoshop/Windows setup without any problems for well over a year.

Then last week I started having intermittent problems opening images in Photoshop. Whether I try to open them from Bridge, Windows Explorer or using File-Open in Photoshop nothing happens. Photoshop itself opens ok but that's as far as it goes. Even if it's already open nothing happens. The images I try to open are subsequently listed in 'Open recent'. But that's all I get.

File type doesn't matter .psd, .tiff, .jpeg etc the result is the same. 32 bit or 64 bit Photoshop the same. The images open fine in other viewing/editing programs

I have reset the preferences at startup.

Yesterday I completely uninstalled Photoshop then re-installed it. Made no difference.

This morning everything was fine. I shut down Photoshop and did something else for a couple of hours. When I opened Photoshop again I couldn't open any images again once more.

The only thing that seems to solve it is re-booting the PC. Which is making me think that there's a temporary cache or registry setting somewhere that's misbehaving or being corrupted in some way. But that's just a guess.

To the best of my knowledge I haven't done anything that I can think of that would have created this issue.

To say it's driving me nuts at times is an understatement.

I do have quite a few plugins installed but have not added/updated any for months. I only tend to use the same two or three and when I can get an image to open they work fine.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 11, 2011 8:56 AM   in reply to larrydart

One place to look for clues is in your Windows event logs.

To do so, click the Start orb and type view in the search box.  When Event Viewer comes up, click it.

Look especially in the Windows Logs - System log to see if you're having disk problems.  There may be a lot of Information messages to scroll through, but try to match the time of the log entries to one of the occurrences of a file open failure.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2011 8:58 AM   in reply to larrydart

Which is making me think that there's a temporary cache or registry setting somewhere that's misbehaving or being corrupted in some way.

Probably not. Either your graphics card is acting up (not flushing its onboard memory) or you generally simply run out of temporary disk space. Explains both phenomena quite sufficiently and reasonably, as in both cases stuff only fills up after a given time of computer usage. Check your graphics driver, defragment and clean out your hard drive (user temp directory in particular).

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 11, 2011 8:58 AM   in reply to larrydart

A recovery possibility, and you'll want to think carefully about this, is doing a System Restore to a time last week when you know you weren't having problems.  I say think carefully, because you will lose system changes, etc. that you have made since then, and may have to reinstall or reupdate any software you've recently installed or updated.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 6:13 AM   in reply to larrydart

Most probably your graphics card driver. Your files get listed in the "recently opened"box, so PS does open them. My guess is some openGL issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 13, 2011 10:30 AM   in reply to larrydart

larrydart wrote:

I had a saved color profile that I've now deleted. I've re-booted again and can access Color Settings and open images once more.

At the OS level, or in Photoshop?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 13, 2011 12:06 PM   in reply to larrydart

Just a thought, but before going to such drastic measures, maybe try an older display driver?

As of right now what video card do you have and what version of the driver are you running?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 13, 2011 10:19 PM   in reply to larrydart

I'm using 11.9 at the moment and it seems stable - 11.8 was definitely responsible for some problems, and I can say that 11.7 worked VERY well for 2 months (I almost immediately backed down from the 11.8 upgrade because of problems I saw).

Hm, I'm not sure what might be going on re: that X8 vs. X16 stuff.  For what it's worth mine shows PCI Express 2.0 x16 (I have a 5670).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 2:28 AM   in reply to larrydart

So did you try disabling opengl?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 17, 2011 9:51 AM   in reply to larrydart

What profile, specifically, is associated with your monitor?  Click Start, type color in the search box, click Color Management when it comes up.

Have you tried temporarily associating a known good profile, such as the sRGB profile provided by Windows, with the monitor?  This is the normal default by Windows, but some monitors cause the installation of alternate ones.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 17, 2011 11:02 AM   in reply to larrydart

Probably worth a try, inasmuch as the Color Settings dialog is one that fails.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 9:18 PM   in reply to larrydart

I belleve that I have exactly the same problem. I use a fully updated CS5/Camra Raw on WIn 7 64-bit. Other than Windows updates and the recent update to Camra Raw, nothing has changed on my system for quite some time. My symptoms are:

1. When attempting to use Bridge to open PSD files created on my machine, PS opens but no picture is loaded. The imgae can not be loaded from inside PS using the File menu.
    2. I am unable to access Edit/Color Settings in PS
    3. If I attempt open a CR2 RAW image from Bridge by double clicking on it, PS opens without opening Camera Raw and no image is loaded
    4. If I attempt to open the same file using the menus (File/Open with Camera Raw) the file appears in Camera Raw.
    5. Images that I can see full screen in Bridge will not open in PS.
    6. Rebooting seems to make the problem go away for a while. More testing is necessary.
    7. My C: drive had only a 5 Gig of space left. I increased that to 10 Gig, which may have helped.

In the course of a day I may open hundred of files, although not usually in photo shop. It sure feels like a cashe file is filling up somewhere, but I have no idea where or what....

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 12:15 PM   in reply to larrydart

Larry,

I'm just glad you realized that rebooting corrects the problem at least temporarialy. You also saved me from doing an apparently futile reinstall....

The Adobe updates are a little suspicious, but I'm still inclined to blame a CS5 buffer configuration issue. I'm a Photoshop novice and inclined to tweek knobs I don't fully understand. The files that are giving me problems all seem to be 50+ Meg.

If I discover anything, I'll report back.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 18, 2011 12:27 PM   in reply to larrydart

You guys should try to find out what hardware you use, software you have installed, or configuration settings you've made that you have in common.

It doesn't do what you're seeing for most folks, as we haven't seen other reports of this here.

For example:

What video card are you using?   (Larry has an ATI Radeon HD 5750)

What display driver version?  (Larry has tried 11.9 and a few others)

What antivirus software do you use?

What Photoshop plug-ins do you have installed?

Etc.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 21, 2011 10:42 AM   in reply to larrydart

Thanks for describing your environment, Larry.  I hope the others with the problem will do so as well.

I have to say I just don't use Bridge, except once in a great while I'll start it to test something out that people talk about here.  Instead I use Windows Explorer to integrate things, and have added on a codec pack so that I see thumbnails for every file type in there.

I'll try opening a number of files from Bridge into Photoshop and see what turns up...

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2011 3:59 PM   in reply to larrydart

Here's a new twist. I don't know if this is a related issue, a different issue with the same symptoms, or the root cause of the original problem.....

It may not be Windows 7's fault, but I have noticed that some applications seem to leave Win 7 paralized when it comes to handling files. For example, after closing the IrFanView image viewer, I often find that I am unable to drag and drop files between directories in Windows Explorer. I'm pretty convinvced that this is a WIndows 7 system problem; not an Explorer problem.

Once again tonight, I found myself unable to open images in photoshop either by using the "Open With" command from the context menu, or by dragging the image icon onto a CS5 shortcut icon, or by double clicking an image in Bridge. Then while at the desktop, I pounded on the ESC key a few times. This is the solution to the general problem of Win 7 refusing to Drag & Drop. Afterwards, all the images access methods worked again.... I now think hitting ESC solves this problem from within the Adobe apps as well.

ESC also give me access to the color settings menu item.

Larry, and anybody else who's had this problem, let us know how ESC works for you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 13, 2011 4:03 PM   in reply to BillTheCat52

That sure sounds like there's a pop-up dialog open off-screen somewhere (or hidden) that's waiting on input from you.  That's certainly not normal Windows operation!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2011 7:24 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hey Noel,

I agree  that it sounds like an open dialog box or something hogging the input focus, but whatever it is, it doesn't stop Windows dead in its tracks, and it doesn't stop PS from doing most operations. It just interfers with Drag & Drop and some other file system operations. My problems with Windows Explorer and PS always happen simultaniously. As I hinted at, I suspect poorly written (legacy?) applications are the real cause of the problem; not Win 7 itself. However, I never had this problem with XP and Win7 shouldn't allow this to happen.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 14, 2011 8:00 AM   in reply to BillTheCat52

I don't think the blame can be cast simply on the OS if it's some application or malware that's grabbing control.

Check what you're running with Autoruns.  Try eliminating the things that are starting that you don't need.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points