Latest reply: Claudio González, Oct 25, 2011 5:37 AM
Branched from an earlier discussion.
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2011 9:30 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

I scared up some cookies that are apparently related to Adobe's site, and contain the string "jive.recentHistory.55816", but I don't see any node information in them.

Any idea where to find the node information when IE9 is the browser of choice?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Oct 11, 2011 3:14 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

Incidently, John, you used to be able to see the server name in the sidebar on the Testing sub-forum. But that appears to not work anymore. It calls some js that reads document.cookie, and for me, document.cookie does not appear to contain the jive.server.info cookie. I'm not sure why that would be the case, and I know very little about browser DOMs in the javascript world. Perhaps someone else can figure it out and suggest a fix.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2011 6:46 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

One the days or sessions that it happens it consistently slow.

MacBook Pro 2.8 GB, 8 GB RAM SATA 500 GB Hard Drive 3 MB DSL Connection

SeaMonkey 2.0.14 or 2.7.1a , FireFox 3.6.23, FireFox 8.0, Opera 11, Safari 5.1, iCab 5.0, OmniWeb 5.5, Chrome 14.0.835.202 Makes no difference what browsers are used same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 7:43 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

46 seconds to get to the forum comments list, another 50 or so to get into this thread.

But here's an odd one, this is what I got when I came into this thread:

shot.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 7:43 AM   in reply to ~graffiti

Posting that last comment only took 3 seconds.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 12, 2011 7:58 AM   in reply to ~graffiti

I think there are multiple things happening here...

• Momentary server burps or restarts that cause outages (which may be perceived by users as very long delays because of retries at the various protocol levels).
    • Short term traffic surges or things running on the server that cause momentary slowdowns.
    • Longer term traffic issues that may be overwhelming the servers.
    • Variations in how long it takes for an individual cliient system to execute the software, which is not trivial.
    • Differences in what different people think is acceptable performance.  For me, if something happens after I click in less than 2 seconds, I find it acceptable.

I believe I sense, in various folks' comments, that the percentage of time this forum provides acceptable performance for any one person varies pretty widely

For example, the great majority of the time I'm here I find it to work fine, with only rare cases where clicking on something yields a noticeable delay or failure.  If I had to quantify, I'd say it is acceptable 98% of the time for me.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you folks would try to quantify the amount of time you feel it performs acceptably well for you.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 9:16 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Well, I guess that it was inevitable. I bragged about how much quicker things were, just yesterday (10/11/2011), and then today, real lags.

Some other anomalies have been:

• Extreme lag (up to 3 mins.) to post a Reply
    • Reply editing screen disappearing, on Add Reply, but then just hanging, until I exit from that page. The Reply does not get posted, until I start the process all over again.
    • URL's not linking properly on the first try (intermittent)
    • Pages very slow to load, but not nearly so bad, as when posting a Reply

Teach me to brag...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 9:20 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

Yesterday (10/11/2011), I would have given the forums a 100.

Today, I am going to give it a 70, though my complaint Reply, above in Flattened View, was very quick, with "Please Wait" showing for only about 5 sec.. Yesterday, it was so quick, that I hardly had time to even see that little message. OTOH, I have had to wait up to 5 mins. today, for a Reply to post - long time watching Please Wait, with the little "gas gauge."

Yes, it varies by the time of day, the day of the week, the individual user, and maybe the phases of the Moon?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 9:39 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

>phases of the Moon?

Hmm... are you saying that the Jive operation staff are Werewolves, and sometimes of the month (when their claws are out) they have a hard time pressing the correct keys?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 10:30 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Well, that COULD be one explanation for it. Or maybe they use were-gerbils to produce the power for the servers?

Not too long after I posted my above, observed complaints, things seem to have gotten back up to speed - however, last time I bragged, you see what I got?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 12, 2011 10:41 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I've been pretty active today, and while I've seen an occasional lag, generally speaking I've been getting good response.  Probably 95% acceptable, down from 98%.  It's easy to sense something's amiss, but not at all unusable.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 11:06 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

If you can identify which node you are hitting it would help. Sorry, I don't know how to do that in IE or Safari. I gave the Firefox instructions earlier in the thread.

In Chrome you can go to Preferences > Under the Hood > Privacy > All Cookies and Site Data > forums.adobe.com > jive.server.info and look for adobe-vm-wa0X where the 0X is the node name.

It sometimes helps to just open a different browser as you will often connect to a different node. Restarting the same browser will not usually jump nodes. But in Chrome you can try a new "incognito window" to see if it gets you to a different node. If you have two browsers on two nodes you can see if there is a marked difference between them.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 11:20 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Perhaps Jive runs on a couple of Blackberry? [Is the official plural of those smart-phones Blackberries (like the fruit), or Blackberrys?]

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 11:31 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Well, maybe it is not just Jive?

Google.com is not coming up often.

FoxNews Network is having real problems with their feeds.

Replies are starting to time-out on the Adobe forums.

Experiencing this on Chrome, PC, at ~ 11:00AM PDT on 10/12/2001 for the Web-based stuff, and on my COX Cable TV feed.

Hm-m-m?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 12, 2011 11:34 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, I saw a tutorial on troubleshooting Blackberry problems the other day:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuNaZmvlRNg

Seriously, sounds like you may be having local network problems.

Seems to me someone needs to invent a diagnostic app that would drill down into the nitty gritty of what's wrong between a user and a site then present the results in simple terms.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 12, 2011 11:38 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

Would I necessarily be "hitting" the same node in Firefox?  I have Firefox on hand for testing web work...

This is what's in the Firefox cookie for me:  "serverName=forums.adobe.com:serverPort=80:contextPath=:localName=ado be-vm-wa05.sgvm2hosted.jiveland.com:localPort=9200:localAddr=127.0.0.1"

Just being clear, this one has been pretty consistently fast for me over the past couple of days.

Out of curiosity, is the server run from a virtual machine (noting the adobe-vm- prefix)?  I can imagine that could yield yet another whole level of inconsistency, as other VMs might be doing resource-intensive things.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2011 11:45 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

In this case, it seems to be very wide-spread, affecting the UK, Europe, Africa, the Middle-East, and now Canada and the US, as of today.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Oct 12, 2011 11:49 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel:

Would I necessarily be "hitting" the same node in Firefox?  I have Firefox on hand for testing web work...

You would definitely not be necessarily hitting the same node as in Firefox. If you do get the same node, it would be via random chance. Since there are only four servers (last I checked), 1/4 isn't that hard to do, of course.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 9:02 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Since about 60 minutes there have been major waits (up to several minutes) for every forum action (e.g. displaying a topic).

Multiple times the connection timed out completely.  I also was multiple times prompted for my login credentials.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2011 5:35 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Situation here right now: 2 min 23 seconds to get into the forums using bookmark. Less than three seconds in opening this thread. 59 seconds to go to its last post.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2011 5:37 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

A little over 3 secs posting the above message, 1 min 32 sec to correct a typo.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)