• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Have to reinstall Flash after every reboot.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2011 Oct 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 - IE9 - Flash version 11.0.1.152 - Plugins and OS up to date - ESET Smart Securty 4

I get prompted to install new version of Flash after a reboot, so it happens at least once a day.

I install Flash and it installs just fine and works until the PC boots up again.

I tried some of the following:

- Use Adobe Flash Uninstall program before installing

- Using standalone install program

- Checked ActiveX Filter and it was off...turning it on causes

this same behavior, but the problem I have has nothing to do with the filter

Not sure when this started, but the user didn't have this problem until recently.

I am using ESET Smart Security 4. On all our systems, and his PC is the only

one that is having a problem. Need some pretty hard evidence before I bother

with uninstalling ESET just to see if that would help.

The part that is really strange...if I go to manage add-on's while it is working,

I see the Flash player there and Adobe's name there and that it is enabled.

After I reboot and go into the add-on manager, Flash is still there and still

enabled, but it now says "Unknown" instead of "Adobe" and is no longer

listed near the other Adobe programs. But then, when I reinstall it, that gets

"fixed" and now says Adobe again. So it almost seems like an IE9 problem

and possibly a corruption problem. No known problems with the PC. I suppose

that reloading the PC from scratch would fix the problem...at least I hope it would,

but I'm also not ready to do major surgery if there is an easier fix.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

The TakeOwnership script took care of the problem. I'm not 100% OK with it, since it seems like just more getting around UAC and a lessening of security. But at least it now appears to work the way it is supposed to in IE9 and I will still probably reload that PC from scratch at an opportune time. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2011 Oct 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this issue several times in the forums over the last few days, and I do not know what is causing this.

So far, in every case the installation seems to be complete, and all files are present in the installation folders.

Could it be that the ocx/dll gets unregistered during the reboot?

What Windows edition do you have - 32-bit or 64-bit?  What IE9 edition do you use - 32-bit or 64-bit?

Could you help me with an experiment to determine the possible cause?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is 32-bit on the PC. It is Windows 7 Pro. I would be glad to help you get to the bottom of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also to give more information/correct about the Manager Add-on...

After I reboot the PC, it doesn't show Flash as being loaded. I have to go to "All Add-Ons" to see Flash and the Publisher is listed as "Not Available".

When I reinstall Flash, then is shows up with a publisher of Adobe in the current loaded Add-Ons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered a work around ... not useful all the time.

I loaded RegDLLView by Nirsoft to display all the registered files. There were two files (therefore registered):

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash11c.ocx

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil11c_ActiveX.exe

The following fields were blank in the display: Company Name, File Description, File Version, Product Name, Product Version

I tried to re-register them there and it gave me an error ... "unable to...".

I decided to try running the program as an Administrator...then all those other fields magically appeared and I could re-register the ocx file, but not the exe file.

So then, I tried running IE9, again,it said it wanted me to load Flash...which I didn't do...then I tried running IE9 as an administrator and then it worked w/o reinstalling Flash. It still doesn't show up in Manager Add-Ons as running, but it does show up under All Add-Ons with the correct information...and it works...hmm.

However, I would not want to run IE9 as an administrator all the time and circumvent the protection that is built into Windows 7. And if I linked into IE9, like from email, it would not run as an administrator.

So, that doesn't solve the problem, but it does provide more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starry173173 wrote:

There were two files (therefore registered):

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash11c.ocx

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil11c_ActiveX.exe

Are you sure about this?  Wasn't it rather the FlashUtil11c_ActiveX.dll instead of .exe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked on my PC using the same utility, and it shows the same two files. I'm not sure what the significance of that is since I don't know exactly how the utility works. On my PC (which works correctly), I can also only re-register the ocx file if I run the program as an admin and the second file won't re-register. So both PCs act the same way as far as that is concerned.

I see the dll file out there in Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also downloaded that Nirsoft tool, and on my (64-bit) system I also only see the ocx and exe registered.  But everything works well on my system.

So I currently have no other ideas.  Hopefully someone from the Adobe team will have a look at this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry no hablo ingless

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 22:39:15 -0600

To: j_luis74@hotmail.com

Subject: Have to reinstall Flash after every reboot.

Re: Have to reinstall Flash after every reboot.

created by ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ in Using Flash Player - View the full discussion

I also downloaded that Nirsoft tool, and on my (64-bit) system I also only see the ocx and exe registered. But everything works well on my system. So I currently have no other ideas. Hopefully someone from the Adobe team will have a look at this topic.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Using Flash Player by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aldomax wrote:

sorry no hablo ingless

Then you need to unsubscribe from this forum; otherwise you will continue to receive notifications in English.

The Spanish forum is here http://forums.adobe.com/community/international_forums/espanol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2011 Oct 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding...you indirectly gave me the idea of trying to run IE9 in admin mode. If I don't here anything back, I will have the user hobble along using either Google Chrome or IE9 in admin mode until I can find the time to reload his PC from scratch. Doubtless, that will take care of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2011 Oct 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this, download this file (Add Take Control and Ownership Function to Right Click Context Menu) and then go right click on the IE folder and MACROMED folder, press tab takeover and it will be ok.

• InstallTakeOwnership

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

• RemoveTakeOwnership

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try it tonight. Somehow, it doesn't really explain what the problem is, but if it will work and not have any adverse effects, great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The TakeOwnership script took care of the problem. I'm not 100% OK with it, since it seems like just more getting around UAC and a lessening of security. But at least it now appears to work the way it is supposed to in IE9 and I will still probably reload that PC from scratch at an opportune time. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines