Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

XDCAM HD 422 MXF looping Audiobug?

Jun 10, 2011 4:17 AM

Hi,

every time I import XDCAM-Files from my PDW-F800 (1080i, XDCAM 422 High, 8 Mono Channels, 48 KHz, 24 Bits) the last 3 seconds in every clip have a looped audio. The duration of the loop is abourt 10 frames.

The files are not corrupted with this loop, because if I play the same files in VLC Player, the audio at the end is correct. Must be a problem within the import.

Can anyone reproduce this error? Is it a bug?

Screenshot:

screen.jpg

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2011 10:17 AM   in reply to pvpcom20

What version of Premiere Pro? What OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 1:32 PM   in reply to pvpcom20

We are experiencing the same problem here. When played back in Sony XDCAM Viewer the files are fine, but when imported into Adobe Premiere, we get the audio looping bug, which is very serious for us. I would appreciate a quick answer for that as we are evaluating the upgrade for our workstations.

The new version fixes a lot of bugs we are experiencing in CS5 related to IMX format, but would be also undesirable to experiencing any bugs with XDCAM HD 422, as we are moving fast to this new format.

Roberio Oliveira

Rede Bahia

Message was edited by: Roberio Oliveira (typo)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 2:05 PM   in reply to pvpcom20

Are you copying the entire BPAV folder over, or just the media clips?

Are you using the Media Browser for Import?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 2:20 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Hello Jim.

It's not XDCAM EX, it's XDCAM HD 422 (media clips are inside the folder Clip).

We are copying just the media clips. By the way, we tested the same clip in CS5 and didn't have that problem, only in CS5.5 (tested in 3 workstations).

We are not using the Media Browser to import, but for testing purposed I tried to just reencode the file maintaining the format, using Adobe Media Encoder and at the end had the same problem with audio.

I appreciate very much your help.

Message was edited by: Roberio Oliveira

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 12:55 AM   in reply to pvpcom20

I also have this problem--the footage was copied to a media drive with all disc contents and imported thru Media Browser.

Footage shot on PDW-700.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 5:21 AM   in reply to James R Barton

We work with PDW-700 here too. Unfortunately we still need to shoot in SD too, and CS5 just can't work with IMX. We had to give up on IMX and work with DVCAM until now, just to see that another huge problem emerged.

The worst thing about this all is that the Adobe support is awful. No official answer so far. When I saw that OP wrote the topic almost two month ago, and someone from Adobe staff just made a question but didn't return, I already felt it was not going to be easy to solve, if it could be solved at all. Adobe has worked hard on publicity to make us believe that the professional segments are moving toward them. I would like to see that effort to supporting us, to not make us feel as caught in a trap.

Still looking for forward to see some solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 10:59 AM   in reply to Roberio Oliveira
    We are copying just the media clips.

Oooh, don't do that.  Copy the entire top level folder.  PP really needs that extra info to work properly with solid state media.

We are not using the Media Browser to import

Oooh, definitely do that.  It helps PP take advantage of the extra info in the folders mentioned above.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 12:09 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

We've reproduced the bug here and are working on a fix.

I'm checking to see if there's any workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 1:11 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Jim, we tried that without result. Thank you anyway. Also, we didn't find any problem with CS5, so something changed in the audio conforming process in CS5.5.

Thanks for the heads up, Todd. We are looking forward to have a solution for that as soon as possible.  Meanwhile we are keeping some stations with CS5 to edit HD.

Today we also did some tests using IMX 40 format to see if there was any related problem, but everything was fine.

We already tested all those formats some weeks ago , but didn't find problems. That was because we're using clips encoded by another system (VSN Capturer), not shot directly from the camcorder. If we reencode those same problematic clips (shot in PDW-700) using a third program (Edius for example), Adobe Premiere can handle them properly. So, it's something deeper, related to encoding process. Hope those info can help.

Thanks for all the attention in this matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 1:41 PM   in reply to Roberio Oliveira

Thanks for the additional information. I added it to the bug record.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2011 2:54 PM   in reply to Roberio Oliveira

Jim, we tried that without result.

OK.

Even though this issue wasn't resoled, it's a good idea to do things that way for all solid state media going forward, as other issue can arise if you don't.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2011 8:22 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Okay, Jim! I'll instruct our editing staff to do that, thanks!

For now, we use mainly Sony PDZ-1 to manage media transfer from Pro Disc to the NLE. We don't have XDCAM EX yet.

Thank you for the advice.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2011 6:46 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hello Todd,

Any news on that?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2011 4:03 PM   in reply to pvpcom20

Todd or anyone from Adobe--

Has there been further action on this?--serious bug for me that needs resolving--Thanks--

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 7:30 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hello Todd,

One month has past and so far we had no solution for this serious bug. And no answer at all.

What's the Company's position to this matter? Should we just assume Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 is not compatible with Sony XDCAM HD 50 and move to Edius, or Media Composer maybe? Or the acclaimed legendary Apple Final Cut? Last time we had a bug in CS5 with IMX and DVCAM formats we had to wait until the fix came in a form of a paid upgrade, aka CS5.5. Then it fix the XDCAM SD formats and break the HD 4:2:2. We expect more. Please, if this is going to  be fixed only in CS6, let us know now, so we can move toward another direction. Make us wait that much is even more disrespectful than selling a product that does not do what it states.

I'm sure you understand and I thank you for that.

Best Regards,

Roberio

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 10:27 AM   in reply to pvpcom20

We have this exact same bug and it is a serious issue for us, Adobe really should make this a high priority bug fix, All of our XDCAM HD MXF files recorded from sat downlinks for our HD broadcast server have this audio loop at the end when imported into premiere.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 12:32 PM   in reply to pvpcom20

I had the same thing with RED .r3d footage on PP and AE CS5 on the Mac. The problem seemed to have disappeared when we upgraded to CS5.5.

Just letting you know that I share you pain. It drove me absolutely crazy for weeks until I begged my boss to upgrade to CS5.5. Until we did, we found a band-aid by exporting the footage from Redcine-X into Quicktime.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 12:57 PM   in reply to Roberio Oliveira

ATTN ADOBE--

WHAT IS THE FOLLOWUP WITH THIS ISSUE?  CAN WE EXPECT A FIX SOON OR IS THIS ON THE IGNORE LIST?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 1:08 PM   in reply to James R Barton

James and others,

I said above that we're working on a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 1:18 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi Todd,

Good to know that, but do you have an ETA?

Thanks.

Roberio

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 1:23 PM   in reply to Roberio Oliveira

No. We don't tend to give details of what's coming in future releases---whether bug-fix updates or paid upgrades.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 2:28 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I see. But, we are trying to not walk completely in the darkness. An ETA is not a precise date, by definition.

I understand if you can't give one, but, to be honest, it's frustating that you said you were working on it one month ago and so far we get nothing.

Unknowing how long we have to still wait, you must agree with us, is not too comfortable.

But okay, I'll just take your word. And it means a lot for me.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Roberio

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2011 12:18 AM   in reply to Roberio Oliveira

Does anyone have a resolution to this yet, or can anyone suggest a workaround?

I've been given some XDCAM HD 422 footage to edit, and my current version of Premiere (CS4) doesn't import it. I've downloaded the CS5.5 trail and installed on another PC, and everything was fine until I discovered that I'm getting the same looped audio issue as above. It seems CS5 might not have this issue, is that still available for download somewhere (I do have the footage half edited in CS5.5, I guess I'll just have to wear re-editing that if necessary).

Other than that, it occured to me if I could just extract the end of the audio from each clip, I could manually work around this - but how to do that? The footage plays fine in VLC, but I can't figure a way to capture the audio back out as WAV (or other). Sony's XDCAM browser lets me export the clips, but drops the audio after 30 sec. There are some lower quality files on the XDCAM discs I was given (I assume they're for quick browsing only), I CAN get the audio out of those, but the quality is quite poor compared to the master files (8000Hz compress mono, vs 48000Hz 24 bit).

Very annoyed, and needless to say I now won't be purchasing the CS5.5 upgrade until this is fixed...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2011 4:06 PM   in reply to madmaxmovies

For the benefit of anyone reading the thread, I managed a workaround to at least extract the audio.

Basically I installed VLC Media Player on one of my DVD burning machines, which is Windows XP, and has Nero installed. Under Windows XP audio settings, there is a Recording device called "Stereo Mix", which is basically the mixed output of everything else (note that I couldn't find anything equivalent under Windows 7). I fired up Nero wave editor, hit record on that device, and then played the last couple of minutes of each file in VLC. Note that the first post in the thread above (quoting "3 seconds" of bad audio) I believe is incorrect - I believe the length of bad audio is dependant on the length of the clip. 3 seconds I could have edited around, but some of the clips I was given were up to an hour, and the last couple of minutes of audio is screwed in Premiere.

Anyway, if anyone else is stuck, the above might at least get you access to the audio. It's not perfect, but it was close enough for me to work around this issue in Premiere and get my footage edited. Luckily this was a one off job for me right now, hopefully you full time XDCAM guys have better luck in getting a permanent fix for this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 4:17 AM   in reply to pvpcom20

I feel the same frustration.

But we found a workaround to handle this bug, by using the MainConcept Codec Suite 5.1. Althought it has been released for CS5 and had no updates since then, it looks to be compatible with CS5.5, but already found some minor issues, so it's valid the warning about the importers: use with care.

For Adobe it's really a shame, but seems they don't care that much. It has been fun to found workarounds for the many Adobe Premiere bugs for one and half a year, but now, if I had an option, I would go for another solution. Only for some undeserved respect I wont tell which ones are IMHO much better options.

If you have a chance, try MainConcept to see if it also fix the deinterlace bug. I didnt experienced that one because we are a station television, so everything goes interlaced.

Bugs I found when using MainConcept plug-in importers: DVCAM format resets the initial timecode to zero, ignoring the option on Adobe Premiere to use media source timecode. Because that we dont use DVCPRO importer. Another bug we found is that, when using the MXF importer, if you are editing IMX clips, frame hold wont work; although it seems to work in the sequence, if you export in IMX using the MC exporter it wont work. Also if you need to open an older CS5 project in CS5.5 the importer can mess with audio. For XDCAM HD 50 I didnt found issues.

Sadly MainConcept is a very expensive plug-in about $900, but we already bought it to fix another bug in CS5 that prevents the the XDCAM SD formats to be copied to Pro Disc clip folder (they were not OP1a compliant).

Hope it can helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2011 12:18 PM   in reply to pvpcom20

Hi pvpcom20,

On a new installation, no special procedure is needed, but if you have (or had) CS5 installed on this same station, probably the Mainconcept files were copied to an existing CS5 folder. You may check if the Mainconcept folder was created here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS5.5\MediaCore\, instead of C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS5\MediaCore\.

Kind Regards

Roberio

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 6:45 PM   in reply to pvpcom20

Well, I solved the issue here using both CS5 and CS5.5. My problem was to export XMF files, HQ 420 and IMX 40 to DO (Sony U1) to send to Globo Brasília. The 5.5.5.2 version of CS5 solved the IMX bug. About HQ422 audio looping I don't import files from DO to computer... only exports from Premiere CS5 to send. But if CS5 works fine with HQ422 the way is to use it to edit and CS5.5 to export back to DO.

Marcelo Ruiz

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 2:16 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Well for the amount of money we are spending on these software bundles, the least you could do is give us an ETA of when we may be able to resume our careers as editors.  I've had this problem numerous times and have managed to keep deleting and re-importing to different drives and it turns a 3 day project into 2 weeks.  Not only have I wasted money purchasing the software, I am losing clients, reputation and potential earnings because of this, and I don't even know if/when it will be fixed.  And by the time it is fixed, Adobe will release CS6 and I will have to shell out another thousand dollars.  This is absolutely unacceptable from a company that considers themselves competing frontrunners in the design business. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 2:19 PM   in reply to Roberio Oliveira

I only have the CS5.5 folder, but my mediacore folder is empty.  Any idea where I may find these files?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 11:41 PM   in reply to advantagevideo101

We just had 11 hours of footage come in for four TVC's and the damned audio on the VO takes is missing the last few seconds.   I too am getting a looping nonsensical sound on the end of XDCAMHD 422 clips.  How can I fix this?   We have air time next week.  I have a top Mac Pro with CS5.5.2.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 2:57 AM   in reply to PeterCorbett

I've just researched this thread and I can't believe that this serious bug, and it is a serious bug, is still around after 18 months!   I mean really; what is going on?.   I had to install my unused copy of Avid Media Composer to import the XDCAMHD clips and export to a wav file.   I have to say the Avid 6.0 GUI is circa 1998.   What an oversell the "new-look" is.  But at least the files play, unlike Premiere.  Guys, this is hopeless.    Do we have to wait until 6.0 to fix this?   I really sorry but it's unacceptable.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to PeterCorbett

Adobe side, yes, pretty like hopeless, and still unacceptable. Altough Todd Kopriva has told us they are working on a fix... 7 months ago. Not blaming him, it's not his fault, of course.

At least we know they hear us, what does not mean they care at all. Marketing staff dictates the engineering efforts, and I'm pretty sure their market share is more representative among amateur and entry level productions. Maybe I am wrong, but that's the feeling I have, as I can't imagine such bug in products like Avid Media Composer or Grass Valley Edius, as they are mainly focused in professional customers.

They sell this product as being compatible with XDCAM format. I don't know about the US laws but in Brazil they would be easily issued by what we call Misleading Maketing (something like this).

The fix, if real, must be released in a few months with a price and a new name. But if need some workaroud right now, we can re-encode the clips using some other NLE, or use the MainConcept Codec Suite 5.1 as described here http://forums.adobe.com/message/4029074#4029074.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points